Please Fix The Brightness Issue On Csx Soon!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Daniel Bloch, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

How long it will take until the brightness gets fixed again in CSX? Its now 2 months after the GWE release and since then CSX looks so awefull that i wont play CSX anymore but i loved it so much before! :( I am more the freight guy and not so much the passenger driver, so i want to play again CSX!!!

Can someone tell me when a fix for this comes out, how long do we have to wait until this gets fixed?
    And again please FIX THE SOUNDS! It was all ok before GWE, why is everything broken since this? I wish i could go back to an old version of TSW before the GWE release.

And whats wrong with the throttle? Before the GWE release you could cruise in notch 1 at 10mph or notch 2 at 15mph... now the locos drive 25mph in notch 1???? :(

Here are some screenshots, the brightness in CSX switches randomly between normal and ultra bright that hurt my eyes...

CSX with normal brightness (how it should look like):
    [​IMG]

After a few seconds it gets ultra bright and ugly:
    [​IMG]

Please fix this so we can play CSX again and the upcoming GP40 DLC!!!!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I think with GWE DTG might have introduced some adaptive brightness thing that seems to be trying to simulate the way eyes work. You look up at the sky, then look back down at your train and it suddenly has a ton of color (lower brightness), but after looking at the train for a short time all the color drains out (brightness goes up). It's like they assume our pupils won't be doing the job of adjusting brightness for us. It's not necessary at all to simulate something which our bodies already do! The simulation and real life compound on eachother and it looks like junk.

Plus, there is still an area in Cumberland with a screwed up shader from GWE. Still not been fixed either, and I'm beginning to doubt they care at all about CSX even though DLC like the GP40-2 is being made for it. Seems like the only bugs that will get fixed on CSX are ones that make it totally unplayable...but not the ones that make it pretty unplayable like the screwed up AC4400CW.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Daniel Bloch

I wish DTG would add this kind of things to the game settings so we can manualy shut it off until it gets fixed or dislike it. Like the totaly bugged motion blur, i looks so awefull on the wheels in the outside view, but you have to switch it off again after every TSW start. (an entry in the engine.ini only affects the GWE route).

I hope we see some kind of fix to CSX with the GP40 DLC release (i see some new builds in the steamdb), i will for sure try it and post my bug report here for it. And of course i will write a review about it on steam, positiv or negativ.
    But if DTG dont fix the brightness and sound issues i will refund the GP40 DLC before the 2 hours are done, because playing CSX then makes no sense and is not enjoyable for me anymore.

4. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that these bugs will be fixed, at some point at least.

It's just difficult to know what they working on though. I've read somewhere that they're working on another route; undoubtedly German. We know they're working on the GP40 and on train-simulator.com it's been said they have some dynamic cargo system under development.

The passenger information system has been put on the long finger but there have been indications, again on train-simulator.com that they're aware of and working on audio, and possibly physics, issues. I suspect that might require work done to SimuGraph.

That's an awful lot of work to undertake. I wonder if DTG have ever considered being more open with what they're doing development wise. SCS Software are quite good at that. They put up three or four "development diaries" for the New Mexico DLC for ATS as it was being worked on. The company behind Factorio, Wube Software, put out information every Friday about what they're doing and the struggles it entails.

Then, of course, there's the somewhat controversial Star Citizen. They put out a lot of information and have even been showing the community their development schedule which regularly changes.

5. pschlik

I really like the communication from Factorio as well. It's great that the post is not just a list of changes, but more in depth on what has been going on for a particular side of the game in the last few weeks. In TSW sense, there could be a physics person out to explain what is being worked on inside SimuGraph, the next week someone talks about making PZB, etc.
    One important thing with that though is that they also put out some explanation with "an update is coming" posts-they let everyone know what the changelong is for the current update-before it is out- and the roadmap for the next big update, and things do often change, but the big stuff stays there.

Maybe if DTG were to do that method they could get feedback on what people want before they start work on it-so they don't waste time adding in a dynamic brightness feature that nobody actually wanted.
    After all, what the heck would DTG have to hide?

6. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

Same, now I only play night/dusk services occasionally :(

That's right direction actually, real ones can do much more than 25mph in notch 1. More fixes are on the way hopefully.

7. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Even when pulling a long heavy freight load?

8. Daniel Bloch

Here are is another screenshot:

CSX with normal brightness, looking beautifull: (before GWE release)
    [​IMG]

CXS right now, looking ugly...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  9. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

You can make temporary lighting changes in your NVIDIA control panel. Start TSW and adjust desktop color settings. Do not save the settings. Tick allow NVIDIA to control the color settings.

10. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

On a flat track maintaining constant speed, yes. Either way traction curves are borked right now, just a tiny bit less after update.

11. pschlik

I would say they increased the borky-ness of the physics by doing that though. Before you'd need to be in like notch 3 to get up to 25 mph or so. So what did they do? They made it so that notch 1 produces the same amount of power at notch 3 produced. Nothing was changed about the way speed and the motors worked, they just changed how much power each notch makes-completely sacracifing realistic starting tractive effort to get marginally more realistic speed. (An EMD not moving at notch 1 should get around 300 amps-not 750! But, it should aslo be making a few amps at full speed even at notch 1. TSW can do one of those, but not the other.)

The system right now is so messed up...relating engine power to max speed at which current can be made, which is soemthing that should be constant and has nothing to do with power but rather motor gearing and voltage rating. Its like changing the power changes the max voltage the motor is allowed to handle...

12. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you love to take a peek inside SimuGraph and see what's going on?

13. pschlik

Yes, I would, to be honest. But DTG has been all hush hush about the specifics of content as we all know. Still waiting for editors.

14. Ron Away

Ron Away New Member

I totally agree with you, but the most annoying thing for me right now is the automatic brake system (CSX). No mater how many times I apply and release the brakes, they still are as efficient as a fully charged system. In the real world after a couple of times, you'd have no air left in the cars air reservoirs to make a new service. The pressure builds up way to quickly in the train line when I release and drops to fast when I make a service, especially with a long train. The driving part is the most important and "must" be improved I think. Furthermore, I can't break the train in 2 if I start to quickly and don't get any wheel slip even when raining or snowing. I want to be punished if I make mistakes (releasing the brakes going down a grade or starting the train to fast).

15. pschlik

I also think there are a few things wrong with the brake system. One big fundamental problem is that air flow is horribly inaccurate. When you release the brake, the brake pipe needle can be seen spazzing out like mad because of just how imprecise the data of air is being moved around actually is. SimuGraph is basically moving air around in chunks rather than smoothly like a fluid. (I think Matt knows about this but I doubt it will be a priority fix until the next USA route, as the dual brake pipe system seems to handle air nice and smoothly.)

And another oddity that I think reveals some more issues is how the compressor can more than keep up with filling the brake pipe. Really, the compressor should end up putting just as much air into the MR as what is going into the BP, not more. (I feel that is an intentional design feature IRL to stop the compressor from turning off and on over and over) but the compressor seems to have reasonable power when put in the perspective of a cold and dark locomotive being started up, so it can't be that the compressor is extremely strong. It then has to be that air is not being emptied out of the MR fast enough, but as you mentioned, it does tend to be quite fast at refilling the brake pipe already. So the only thing left that would explain why very little air is required is that the volume of the whole brake system must have been underestimated.

But maybe there's little to be done about that, as numbers might be guesses at best. I'd like to know what DTG thinks....but they aren't doing a whole lot of talking. If they could explain some stuff we could all be more understanding and more helpful. Maybe the only way to solve this realistically is like what the fancy air brake script in TS2018 does: let you choose difficulty. People who want easy brakes can set the brake system volume multiplayer real low, the brakes will be nippy and effective. Those who want more of a challenge can set it very high, and brakes will take forever to apply and release. (Doing a volume multiplier rather than multiplying anything else would be simple and would not require much thought.) If this is hard to get right, then just let people choose what they think is correct! (Like I say, Options options options!)

Oh, and as for no wheelslip, there is a multiplier in the game that determines adhesion. It is set to 1, so wheelslip is almost impossible. Only way to cause it is on the class 66, by isolating all motors except one. Matt also knows about that one, but it sounds like that won't get a rework until the motors are fixed. Realistic adhesion won't work with unrealistic traction physics, and there are some other things that need changing...like having adhesion not affect all track equally, and having sanders increase adhesion (they don't right now).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

On HST you can sometimes hear the same intermittent hissing sound, like on HH locos. Perhaps it is just less prominent in a small and rapidly re/discharging system.

Fully agree about brake system volume, something is not right here. On maximum difficulty in TS compressor can't keep up with BP recharging. Several erroneous applications in a row and your MR can drop far below 100psi. Not the case in TSW.

17. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Possibly an affliction of the overall audio issues in GWR; everything is too quiet.

18. Daniel Bloch

TSW is a half year after release still a big BIG work in progress.
    Everything like graphics, sounds, gameplay and physics need to be fixed, nothing of them is really 100% properly working right now.

19. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Just thought I would drop this here; it's a quote, on train-simulator.com, from TrainSim-Steve in reply to Danial about audio and lighting fixes. Looks like the audio issues are related to UE4 so lets hope that is updated soon so DTG can utilize it.

20. Daniel Bloch

But I am wondering why was the sound working before the GWE release? At some stage it was working perfectly. No sound bugs in CSX for me.
    Then some update came that broke the dynamic brake sound etc. after that came GWE wich broke again more of the sounds and the outside / inside sound bug was there again.

How can that be an UE4 issue then if this already was working?
    Would be nice if someone could explain what's going on there.

21. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

I was just watching a Matt Peddlesden stream from September and he was talking about issues with the two-stage horn not working. Apparently UE4 has a limited number of audio channels and if they're all in use then some sounds won't play, such as one of the horn tones.

In fact during the stream Matt said the audio engine in UE4 'isn't fabulous' and 'isn't as good as the one in TS1'. He also said that 'audio mixing and reverb are very poor in UE4'. It sounds like DTG are having trouble with it considering the dearth of sound that's involved in a train simulator. But, he said that Unreal are bringing out a new audio engine that 'sounds amazing', so I imagine that is the update they're waiting for.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  22. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

It looks like the EA preview of that new audio engine is in 4.18 so it'll be 4.19 at the earliest before it's fit for use. Since 4.19 has not even been previewed yet by UE and I think DTG likes to be at least one version behind the latest version then I can't see it being fixed before mid 2018.

23. pschlik

The lighting strikes again. My friend who is new to TSW, a sim which is supposed to all graphics-y and pretty, has declared that the graphics are "Average - Above Average" (compared to TS2018) and the graphical lighting "Very Bad - Bad" in reference to the exact issue this thread brings up. Does DTG even care about this? Do they want people to tell others that one of the huge selling points of TSW, graphics and lighting, are bad? And as for the other selling point, realism, physics got a "Bad - Average" and we all know why. But will DTG bother to fix anything that's not new?

• Like Like x 2
  24. KMAC

KMAC New Member

Hi fellow train simmers.. 1st post. Hope I don't step on toes

@Danial I thing the "brightness" bug you thing there is is more intentional, as in our normal day cloud cover defuses light making it more glared and washed out, no cloud non defused direct light makes for harsher defined shadows and darker interiors.
    Shoot me if I am wrong, but its a chime in on your "problem"

Same loco, same time of day same route

Cloud cover
    20180302125658_1.jpg
    No Cloud Cover
    20180302125729_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  25. pschlik

Uhh, this is related to clouds, but happens completely independently of the clouds. There is some graphical thing going on that causes the game to increase brightness when you look at dark scenes (in your case, clouds make the scene darker, thus increasing the brightness) and decrease when you look at bright scenes. Problem is, it tends to be over zealous at making everything brighter.

Someone brought up a render setting that I think may disable this effect. Might be worth a try.
    r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0 in the .ini file sounds like an option that controls this thingy. I'll try it soon-ish.

Edit: I just tried r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0 and it does exactly what I expected. It does indeed disable the automatic brightness adjustment!

r.EyeAdaptionQuality 1
    Notice how bright and washed out the game has made everything look. It has realized that the clouds have made things dark (which is realistic) and has decided that that was too dark, so it has artificially increased the brightness (which is not realistic).
    20180301205552_1.jpg
    r.EyeAdaptionQuality 0
    Turning the "feature" off keeps the brightness at the default levels...so it actually makes a cloudy day look darker than a normal day, not brighter than a normal day. This is what everything should look like. Seems kinda dumb that DTG decided to turn this thing on, and that there is no normal way to turn it off.
    20180301205556_1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  26. Daniel Bloch

Wow that's it? Just turn it off? I will try that, sad that DTG don't care.
    More then six month without fix now.
    It would be an easy workaround to put an option in the settings to switch it off until they have fixed it, wich never will happen I guess.
    Thx for that find, without the community and the little tweaks they have found so far (turn buggy motionnblur off, increase objectviewdistance, widescreen fix etc) this game would be dead allready!
    ("We are listening", bullshit!)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  27. aeterna

aeterna New Member

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
    r.ViewDistanceScale=15
    r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0

That works!!! Finally!

I was waiting for that fix for 6 months now, thanks pschlik.

28. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Not even one DTG Dev could tell us that we only had to insert r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0 to disable this awful "feature" in this huge timeframe?

wow

29. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

What file must I modify? :)

30. aeterna

aeterna New Member

...\Documents\My Games\TS2Prototype\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

add these lines to the the bottom of ini file above.

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
    r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0 -> Fix for brightness bug

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  31. Scotty

Scotty New Member

This is unbelievable that no one from DTG could have told us that! Thank you pschlik! This "feature" in my opinion makes the sim look terrible. The support and response from DTG is absolutely pathetic. They keep saying that the game development team and the bug fix team are separate teams. If that's the case, let me give you a hint DTG...you're WAY overpaying the bug fix team! They've done almost literally nothing in 6 months. Maybe it's just one part time person that makes up the "team". Pathetic.

On a side note are there laws in the UK that protect consumers from this sort of thing? Being sold faulty electronic goods?

Thank you again pschlik!!

32. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Merci beaucoup de votre réponse

thank you very much for your answer

33. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

In real life the locomotive accelerates more than 10 mph in notch one. That is correct.