Increase Performance & Fps For Tsw 2 *windows 10 Only*

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Aug 30, 2020.

1. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

For me, I do get a quite noticeable bump in fps going from DX11 to DX12... however the number of stutters and hitches almost double or triples and the duration of the hitches is quite a bit more significant. Going back to DX11 was just much better for me as it was just soo much smoother overall, I couldn't stand all the hitches personally. I'll take a lower but steadier FPS any day over jerks and stuttering.

• Like Like x 3
  2. jazznsf

jazznsf Member

The graphics drivers seem to be a big deal. I am running 20.8.2 and tried (briefly) 20.8.3, which caused a number of issues, including the need to perform a hard reset. First time ever on this Win10 installation.

20.4.2 is the "corporate stable" driver, so should work well over the widest range of systems.

Your mileage may vary...

3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I was also running at 20-8-2 and tried a run on the Bakerloo line and the game crashed, since rolling back to 20-4-2 I have not had any issues.

4. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

That is great, I'm happy for you.
    But what are you contributing to a thread where we're fiddling with files to try and improve performance on PC? ^^

• Like Like x 1
  5. xavpin234

xavpin234 Member

Yes again the only problem i get with Dx12 is that i tend to get more microstutters than on dx11 altough the fps increase is considerable i do hope the microsttuters are fixed as they are especially visible on bakerloo and SKA

My config (for the curious)
    I7-5930k
    Titan Xp
    32 GB of ram
    480 intel 730 Sata SSD

6. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Ik I’m off topic, but I just wanted to share what I’ve found. Sure I’m not on PC or may not know a lot about how to work with files on PC games, but it was very rare to see such high FPS on any platform in older versions of TSW, unless ur on a high end gaming PC, and I just wanted to share that. If u would like I can delete the post, so I wouldn’t drive this thread too far off topic.

7. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

TSW2 on Xbox now uses DX12 natively. It's a relevant observation.

• Like Like x 4
  8. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

a little more than one week after the release and absolutely no news or communication about some fixes?
    Do we have to wait 2 week to have a wonderful updated roadmap ? :o

For information the tweak r.anisotropic with 16 doesn´t add anything by me.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Callum B.

It is now Tuesday, so we should find out a few hours from now.

• Like Like x 2
  10. hightower

hightower Guest

I don't think the stutters are any different with DX11 or 12, there is something else fundamentally wrong that is causing it to happen. Without wishing to sound like a broken record, this was a problem back in the day. DTG patched the game with a specified fix and got rid of it so its disappointing to see it back again in TSW2. Hopefully another fix is in the pipeline. Despite the protests to the contrary, the stutters are nothing whatsoever to do with recording software (which was the pre-release party line).

As for the topic of the thread....the use of DX12, as with the engine.ini tweaks, is a hack and is not supported by DTG. It works perfectly fine for some people and not at all for others...it seems to depend very much on your hardware. The simple answer is that if it works for you then great, use it. If it doesn't then go back to DX11 and enjoy it for what it is. Hopefully at some point soon DTG will utilise DX12 because it clearly gives a significant performance jump.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I have all the issues you describe. Shadows are non-existent (like 1 meters around player), strange behaviour of reflections in ICE3, terrible flickering (when not scaled at least 150%, but this issue is not new to me)

I switched back to DX11 and will try again after work

• Like Like x 1
  12. maxipolo12

its a bit better with fxaa in place to TAA but still not optimized

• Like Like x 1
  13. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

... but on my system the AA effect is less effective with FXAA and flickering is "ok I got used to it" with TAA

Today I'll try to set options in NVIDIA CP as I did with TS2020 after reading this post - made a huge (!) difference then. Maybe TSW2 will be better affected with those settings directly

• Like Like x 1
  14. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips that finally opened my eyes about how to switch to DX 12. When I next launched TSW2, I noticed that the screen size setting had changed, and had to make a couple of adjustments to return to my accustomed settings. After running with DX 12 for a while and experiencing some of the downside issues cited by others above, I've decided to return to DX 11.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kirbyfisher69

kirbyfisher69 Member

In the video stream today, they mentioned that they do not support DX12 and do not have plans to do so anytime soon.

16. maxipolo12

no surprise. too much work for them :D

But I really think that the biggest limit of the sutdio concerns all graphic topics. For all the games (TS, TSW1, TSW2).
    They just "follow" the unreal engine dev by adapting their game as best as they can but thats all.
    They are way better to develop train in 3D etc.
    But concerning all graphic topics they are far from other development studios that is a fact

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  17. hightower

hightower Guest

FWIW I made a little video to demonstrate how it well it’s working. At the end as you approach Koln you can see the FPS is pegged at 60 which it certainly wasn’t previously.

18. hightower

hightower Guest

So on the day we learnt what an absolute beast the 3090 is going to be, DTG said that they weren’t even planning to bring their flagship product onto DX12.

I thought DX12 was effectively going to be mandatory on the Xbox soon. How are they going to get around that problem...did anyone ask?

19. maxipolo12

They are some people on the forum who already have a 2080ti and have also fps problems / stuttering so the 3090 isnt really interesting, for this game, which is optimized with the feet.
    The only possibility to go further is a mendatory deployment of DX12 on console to get some advancement on this game :(

20. hightower

hightower Guest

That’s what I mean. The whole world is taking massive leaps forward with ray tracing etc, yet TSW seems to be stuck in the (relative) dark ages by comparison. DX12 clearly provides a significant performance jump and that’s without any native support. Given the performance issues with this game, particularly on the hallowed consoles, I don’t understand (as a layman) why you wouldn’t take advantage of it.

21. maxipolo12

Because its adds work with no added value (more money for them) I see the problem like this.
    better spend time on developping DLCs than spend hours and hours to gain some fluidity.

• Like Like x 1
  22. hightower

hightower Guest

I agree with you, but what a sad way to go about your business huh?

I still refuse to believe that if they made the game more ‘attractive’, ie less bugs and more features (particularly core enhancements), they would make the game appeal to more people and increase their sales. Instead we just have this merry-go-round of half working and buggy content that will put all but the hardcore off.

The simulation market is big, and the fact that we’re talking about trains is irrelevant. People like to play sims, but they want them to actually be sims. It’s up to DTG to make a game that will attract new players from all interest groups, not just people who have an interest in trains. First impressions count, and TSW doesn’t stack up well in that regard.

Anyway, we’re getting a bit off topic :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2020
  23. maxipolo12

agreed too but look at the last DLC for TS2020 for example.
    look at users ratings :
    ALWAYS the same bugsm mistakes as usual with bug signals etc... always the same core problem from this studio, in 2020.

and now, look at the technical support section of TSW forum, what a damn big amount of bugs on a "new" game. its normal to find this sad.
    I am unfortunately not surprised anymore :(

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  24. hightower

hightower Guest

Me neither. I’d find the roadmap frustrating, because there is literally not a single mention of this myriad of problems with the core of the game that desperately need to be sorted out. It’s just DLC, DLC and more DLC.

What sums up the attitude perfectly (If the roadmap is to be believed of course) is that they’re going to release Tyne Tees Valley into the preserved collection knowing that it contains bugs, because there are fixes for those bugs further down the list. It beggars belief.

25. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The fixes could be done before the route is ready, so they could be in the same update.

26. hightower

hightower Guest

The point is Anthony that if they are not in the same update then the route shouldn’t be released, period. That fact that they’ve split these things on the roadmap suggests that they are intending to release the route, bug fixes or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2020
  27. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I just repeated what Protagonist said.

28. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

First time I’ve played TSW2 for nearly a week (been on holiday) but this fix is very impressive. Nice jump in FPS, I’m at a constant 60FPS.

However, as others have noticed on some systems, the stuttering is marginally worse and slightly more frequent on DX12, and for me there is a delay between switched between views (interior vs exterior). So for me I’m still undecided.

But an excellent guide and useful information posted all the same by londonmidland & David Kolář

My PC Specs for context:

Radeon RX 580 Series
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
    Asus AM4 PRIME X370 PRO Motherboard
    8GB Ram
    Windows 10 64bit.

Monitor: Samsung Curved 27” - playing native resolution - 1080p.

29. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

So my observations on Bakerloo Line regarding stuttering.
    So I’m getting decent frame rates, the CPU is basically twiddling it’s thumbs, and my GPU (Rx5700 with latest drivers) is getting hammered - 99%
    I see what I would describe a ps a stutter/glitch regularly. By this I mean a pause of about 0.1 sec.
    I tried the DX12 change and it made little difference to stutter or CPU/GPU usage rates.
    I then tried change Anti aliasing from FXAA to TAA. Oh my, now 8 see stutters of 1-2 secs. I had never seen this before today when I fiddle with AA. Happens relatively regularly and would be very annoying.
    Switching back to FXAA. No long stutters. So in my setup TAA is a disaster area.

just my 2p worth

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  30. Callum B.

Curious. Thanks for the insight with your Radeon GPU.

31. Romansu72

Romansu72 Active Member

32. jazznsf

jazznsf Member

This is an interesting time for simulation engines. The new TSW and the new Flight Sim released within two days of each other. I would say this title is very demanding of the GPU, much more so than Flight Sim. I have an RX5700 XT that is running at 80%-90% load with TSW2. Running Flight Sim the load is somewhere between 55%-65% depending on terrain and traffic. The CPU load with TSW2 is fairly minimal; with Flight Sim it is much heavier.

Gameplay is not nearly as smooth with TSW2: no matter what I try, I get stutters. TSW2020 ran very smoothly by comparison, with only the occasional hiccup. Flight Sim is smooth as butter.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out over the next few months.

33. maxipolo12

In the next few months it is simple : flight sim will receive a ton of patchs, fixes and updates.
    Tsw not :D

• Like Like x 1
  34. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

TAA is a disaster area in general, its high in performance cost , and while it is effective at removing aliasing it also comes with a ton of visual side effects from temporal effects like smearing and blurring , to an overall softer image that results loss of texture details ect.
    And to be fair to DTG around DX12 even Microsoft new Flight sim is stuck in DX11 right now. However if DTG does move to DX12 i would hope that they also consider implementing ray tracing at least for lighting and shadows and I really do hope one day DLSS as well for a superior way of handling super sampling that would give some users a decent alternative to TAA on PC.
    But as this game is also on consoles I am going to just assume a pc/nv specific feature set like DLSS wont be a thing considering there a small development team overall but one can hope.

• Like Like x 1
  35. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Just want to say using the dx12 unreal command line option is not supported, and is an untested part of unreal. TSW2 does not support DX12. By all means use it if you wish but your experience may vary.

I've heard feedback across the entire spectrum ranging from "higher framerates but far more glitching" to "no different" to "much better overall". I expect some combination of hardware/drivers will be the main determining factor, but please don't consider this some kind of magic bullet, it may make your experience inferior as much as it makes it better.

Matt.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  36. maxipolo12

for me +20 fps average but some lightings bugs but not so awfull.
    But I prefer much with it compared to low fps on DX11 so I keep DX12 on

WHY do not investigate to a migration on DX12 ? That is the point I do not understand from you.
    Especially if you can make better the gaming experience for console and PC players..

Directx12 is avalaible since 2 years on console...

37. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

This is a game changer for me. In areas where I took huge FPS hits like the LIRR around Sunnyside Yard area and Hagen Hbf on Ruhr Sieg Nord, I have significantly better FPS which is a welcome sight. However, although the general experience is much better, I get significant stutters every so often, probably every few minutes. This is not an issue for me, but I can see people who would prefer a more stable performance.

38. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

When I force TSW2 to use DX12, train headlights becomes glitchy. It looks like they are flashing. Can this be fixed, or should I turn DX12 off or ignore the glitch?

39. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

40. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

41. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, DX12 causes a crash any time it tries to load a Livery Designer livery.

42. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Thanks to some help from others in this thread, I tried this but didn't see a worthwhile improvement. I will note that even without DX12, my fps rate on the new Clinchfield route is better than on any other route. I'm happy that DX12 helps some folks, but it's not for me.

43. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

That's odd, I'm seeing 30% worse framerates on Clinchfield, which I attribute to all the trees ;). It's comparable to some of the busiest areas outside Munich.

44. gfysps4gaming

gfysps4gaming Member

i have used dx12 frame rate is okay until u go try move camera around or start driving abit then it drops and freezes the game bad no matter what ever since the april 6th 2021 update for the game its been unplayable on pc and not worth even having on pc

45. 5cip

5cip Active Member

any information about if the game could use vulkan instead of dx ?

46. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

DX12 screws up the window reflections.

47. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

I saw huge gains in FPS when enabling DX12 (70% increase) but I disabled it for two reasons:

1. Although the mean fps was increased the frequence of stutters was significantly increased. Basically the mean was increased but the variance was hugely increased (min fps dropped while average fps increased).

2. I had some weird "bug" where the textures of the BR101 gauges inside the cab would become blurry at high speeds.

These two things point to DX12 (as it is implemented in TSW2) basically increasing the bandwidth/streaming of textures etc but if the CPU (or GPU?) isn't ready to load new data you'll see either stutters or texture blurriness/popping.

It reminds me of two games:
    Rage from id software and MS FSX which had a setting in the config where you could increase the bandwidth ( TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT) but at a cost in blurriness if a "station along the conveyor belt" was delayed.

• Like Like x 1
  48. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

The version of Unreal engine running under TSW isn't great with DX12, but it does work for many people. I go in and out of it as it suits me. Hopefully the new version that will be part of the core update in a few months will be better.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  49. Boeing_yyz

Boeing_yyz New Member

Thank you so much, I enjoy playing TSW2 and the times where I was averaging 30-45 FPS (Maybe 50-55 if I was lucky) just didn't provide me with an enjoyable game experience. I mostly play on the Sand Patch Grade CSX Map, and I have seen a significant increase in my performance, and I now average at least 60-80 FPS with the occasional stutter.

• Like Like x 2
  50. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

The DX12 flag also kills the Livery Designer. I would use caution.