Liège-guillemins To Aachen Hauptbahnhof [hsl 3 And Belgian Railway Line 37] (route Proposal).

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Martin13, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Martin13

Martin13 Well-Known Member

As my main language is not English I apologise in advance for any error I might have commited while writting this. Feel free to correct me.

The HSL 3 is a Belgian high-speed rail line. It connects Liège to the German border near Aachen. The high-speed track length is 42 km (26 mi).

Route:
    Trains leave Liège-Guillemins station over the upgraded classic line (Belgian railway line 37), at speeds which progressively rise to 120 km/h (75 mph). The dedicated high-speed tracks branch off from the "slow" line (Belgian railway line 37) at the bridge over the Ourthe, between Angleur and Chênée stations in the suburbs of Liège. The line crosses the Vesdre river, then traverses the 6.5 km (4.0 mi) long Soumagne Tunnel between Vaux-sous-Chèvremont and Soumagne. This is the longest double-track tunnel in Belgium, and has a speed limit of 200 km/h (124 mph).

The line then runs parallel to the A3 motorway with a speed limit of 260 km (160 mi) shortly after the village of Walhorn, it passes under the A3 in a cut-and-cover section, and rejoins the regular line (Belgian railway line 37). Trains run on the upgraded classic line 37 at 140 km/h (87 mph), pass over the Hammerbrücke viaduct , and cross the border 2 km further on.

Beyond the border, high-speed trains travel along upgraded existing rail lines to Aachen Hauptbahnhof. Trains use left-hand running along this section (as in Belgium), switching over to right-hand running, which is common in Germany, at Aachen Hauptbahnhof.

Route Map:
    [​IMG]

Rolling Stock:
    HSL 3 is used only by international Thalys and ICE trains. The same ICE 3M we allready have in the Schnellfahrstrecke Köln - Aachen route is used in this route. As for Thalys trains it depends on the licenses DTG have.
    [​IMG]

Why this route:

1. As this route can be connected to the Schnellfahrstrecke Köln - Aachen route, ICE services can be extended up to 1h of travel time which will give a greater gamplay experience as the actual services can sometimes feel too short.

2. This route will add another country to the TSW2 library which is something many players have been requesting troughout the years.

3. This route uses the European Train Control System (ETCS) which will bring new gamplay opportunities as well as new challenges for the players.

4. As it is not a very long route and it's mostly high speed line the only stations that are present appart from Liège-Guillemins station are Hergenrath, Chêneé and Gare d' Angleur which should make the route easier to make.

Please comment your thoughts on this route.

Thanks for taking time to read this, have a great day =).

• Like Like x 14
  2. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Interesting. So far afaik, routes haven't been connected together but it would be good if they could be.
    If I understand your post correctly, in Belgium, on the ICE, ETCS is used instead of PZB, but presumably the same displays support both in-cab? I just watched Chris Trains' "Traxx 186 Tutorial 3: ETCS Full Supervision Mode" and his tutorial 4 after it. ETCS looks interesting. Would be good if the ICE 3M was modified so that it was the same on both routes (but that you set it up differently in Belgium to in Germany).

We'd probably need something else as well as the ICE 3M in it, so hopefully they could get the Thalys license.

Nice idea.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Martin13

It is correct that in Belgium the ICE's use ETCS. However, I am actually not sure where all the necessary ETCS information is displayed on the ICE 3M. My bet is that it is displayed on the screen located to the right of the cab but as I said I am not sure about this.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Would be a great route extension.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Although I'd love to see a new country added to TSW, if I understand correctly, this particular route only runs the same German trains. What's the point of adding a Belgian route if there aren't any Belgian trains running on it?

• Like Like x 1
  6. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

It's a more accessible gateway to a new country if there is existing stock (and trademark licenses). The route add-on could then primarily focus on solely developing Belgian scenery assets, and new systems (with potentially the Thalys). That would allow for the development of further routes in Belgium with more attention going towards specific Belgian trains rather than the initial building blocks.

I think this is a good idea!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I understand it's a way of building up assets, I just don't think I'd be interested to buy a Belgian route if it feels the same like all those German routes.

I'd love to see a Belgian route, and would certainly buy one, but it needs to be... well... more Belgian. :P

Aren't there any Belgian routes which run the ICE3 (with the advantages of being able to recycle some assets), and also some Belgian trains (which allow the possibility of seperate loco add-on to be made for the route)? That'd combine the best of both.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Martin13

Unfortunately this is the only Belgian route that runs ICE trains. The Belgian railway line 37 that runs from Aachen to Liège-Guillemins as well could also be another potential route with some Belgium trains as you say. The problem with that route and with any other Belgian route for that matter is that I don't know if DTG own any licenses from Belgium. That is the main reason why I suggested this route as it runs on Belgium but doesn't necessarily need any new licesnces.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

This one would be amazing and get me really excited.
    Also, though I've never been there, I know this station from other games and research and it's so unique, I just love it.
    That would be a must for me. If they'd do it as a stand-alone only again I will be so frustrated.
    Also, I just finished a Köln-Aachen run and thought to myself "I feel like I could just keep going now", but had to load something else...

So yes, yes please.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Martin13

That is one of the main reasons I though of this route. You really are left with that feeling when you finish a run with the ICE.
    Thanks for the pics. =)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rail Runner

I agree. It’s a shame that there aren’t any stations between. It makes it feel very short.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

Agree to disagree. Also, maybe then it's a little easier to make and the chance rises :cool:
    And just look at the station! :D Imagine starting in Köln and finishing there... ;)

• Like Like x 3
  13. johnjohn190690

johnjohn190690 Active Member

I would love a route extension for Aachen - Köln but heading in the other direction towards Frankfurt am Main. I love the idea of heading towards Belgium

14. Rail Runner

It would be a nice addition to head towards Frankfurt, but it is about 180km, which personally, is slightly too far. I would much rather a new route with about 100km in length.

15. johnjohn190690

Out of the new routes to come with TSW2 Aachen - Köln is the only one I'm currently playing and can't wait for more services in timetable mode. Going to Frankfurt am Main is a monstrous route extension I hope one day they will come back to this route for an extension.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

Sure, an EXTENSION with Köln in the middle would make a really nice route. But 180km is not feasable right now afaik.
    Also, please let's stay on topic of this thread which is the rather short but sweet and fast ride to the beautiful modern station of Liège-guillemins in Belgium from Köln via Aachen.

• Like Like x 2
  17. johnjohn190690

Oh yes going into Belgium I'm up for this. More time spent on ICE Service the better.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Martin13

Couldn't agree with you more =).

19. johnjohn190690

It's why I'm looking forward to Munich - Augsburg Route addon. Just hope they come back to Aachen - Köln with route extension to Liege.

• Like Like x 2
  20. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

Me, too.

• Like Like x 1
  21. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

The German side is playable that's the SKA. If this were to be added in-game LGV/HSL Liege Aachen with the DB BR406 being layered from SKA the German side. To save money since both routes cost €50 $60 individually at the current rate of €1 =$1.2. A bundle called Liege-Koln should be released for €25 $30 so that players get both routes rather than buying them separately. Own this route with SKA & HRR you should be able to operate the Thalys Paris Bochum service since the Thalys PBKA a quad voltage TGV 2N2 POS Variant operates that service in real life.