What's Your Favourite Route, And Why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pookeyhead, Jul 10, 2020.

1. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

There's one more that deserves an honourable mention and that is the suburban lines of Glasgow.
    Why? It too like RoDaC has a great attention to detail applied to it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  2. kevint1972

kevint1972 Member

The Chatham line, from Gillingham to London Victoria. I've lived near 3 stops on that route (Rochester, Kent House and Shortlands) and commuted to Victoria on it more times than I would like to think about. Plus my best mate was a driver for Southeastern and actually used to drive trains on the Orpington to Victoria part of it. I love the detail of the stations - they even included the weird statues of people on Brixton Station's platforms - and I like the fact that they threw in both the Herne Hill and Catford branches, plus it's actually the most fun to drive of the DLC routes I've bought, and quite tricky to get the speed limits right.

3. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

And one more German route and that is the Hausach Konstance route, lovely immersion with that one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

For me would be one of the RhB routes by Rivet Games, have always loved the RhB and have been lucky enough to go there.
    Screenshot_Albula Line_46.67415-9.67853_12-52-47.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Ditto. When it did not have all these horrible Allegra things
    RhB 703.jpg

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  6. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Lovely shot Peter! where is that taken? I didn't like the Allergras at first but starting to like them, here is a couple of shots from my last 2 visits...

thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image0 (2).jpg

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

From the platform at Tiefencastel with the train approaching from Chur.
    Great shot of the Krokadile - is that the Wiesner Viaduct?

• Like Like x 1
  8. SJA

SJA Active Member

I find it hard to choose a favourite route, as they tend to change based on what I'm enjoying (i.e. distance, stoppers or freight).

I've always really liked the North London Line as it captures the contrast between the Richmond/Kew area and the more industrial areas well (routes don't have to be spot on for detail to catch the feeling of the surroundings, but it does this very well). Lots of stops on it for when I'm feeling in an "urban stopper" sort of a mood.

I really like the WCML freeware route from ATS as well. Lots of dependencies but I've collected them all since 2013 and picked up the last one or two in sales this year. I especially like this route for the variety -- LO runs between Euston and Watford Junction, stoppers up to MK/Northampton (or beyond) or more express-like services (where you obviously have to finish up at Brum). Even a basic Bakerloo Line is included. Bit of feasible freight action on there too.

So that's two and I'd better call it a day there, else I'll be ignoring the point of the thread :) However, I've never fully explored Weardale or the Chatham line and I fully intend to.

Notable mentions for the JT Western Mainlines collection (for the sheer mileage available) and the extended version of the GEML going all the way to Norwich, for offering another full intercity run.

9. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Ahh cool, haven't got off at Tiefencastel before. Thank you :) yes it is had walk over it to to get the shot, quite a height!

10. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

I'm very new to it all so I can only offer a newbie's perspective, but...

My current favourites are the Welsh Marches route, and the ECML London - Peterborough route, the latter of which I bought after the recommendation from Peter / 749006 in this thread.

I think the Welsh Marches line is an enjoyable drive, with pretty scenery and interesting gradients, and loads (maybe too many!) whistle boards. I like how interesting the areas around Newport and Shrewsbury are too in comparison to the majority rural feel to the rest of the route (interesting to a newbie is I'm sure completely different to interesting to an old hand!). It's the first route I've dared to touch with the scenario editor, though just swapping out trains at the moment.

On the ECML London - Peterborough route I like the diversity of the included scenarios and trains, how different it feels running a Class 365 on a stopping service, compared to a 801 or HST on an express service. Feels almost like two completely different routes.

I also have a soft spot for the old London to Brighton route, but I think that's just nostalgia.

11. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Since no one has named any North American Route, Ill give a shout out to G-Trax's Sacramento Northern Route. For one, this route taught be a little bit of History that I never knew about California Railroading...
    654_on_Plumas_-_Flickr_-_drewj1946.jpg

Never even heard of the Sacramento Northern before this route, or about the Key System in the Bay area before I was introduced to this route.
    Screenshot_Sacramento Northern, South End_37.90074--122.06469_14-30-33.jpg

At some point I need to visit the preserved SN equipment at the Western Railway Museum near Suisun City (Always drove by it on my way to the NASCAR races in Sonoma, but never stopped by yet, had plans to before Covid-19 hit).
    sacramento-northern-railway.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2