Game World Structure

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ahmet Kağan Durmuşoğlu, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Ahmet Kağan Durmuşoğlu

Ahmet Kağan Durmuşoğlu New Member

We're all looking for longer routes however recently released routes and those in the pipeline are not exceeding 30-50 miles long. It seems fair for commercial reasons that its not profitable to release a long route at once above a certain quality level. But I wonder if DTG can make the game structure in a way that all routes are installed on the same world and at the real coordinates. Or at least the routes in same continent are on same world; north american routes on same world, european routes on other world.. etc. With this way when DTG or other developers release a route lets say a route from A to B and later another route from B to C, finally we will get a route from A to C. They don't need to follow a sequence and may decide to build the route from K to L afterwards. The only thing to do is to place the route in the same world and at the real coordinates. By the time this will allow a route from A to L and further. Optimisation of such a big route is coders job.
    Here is an example of what I mean:
    This was what we were going to see in MSTS 2 if released but unfortunately the project was cancelled. I think beyond all graphical and game engine developments achieved by UE 4, this feature would be the greatest evolution in train simulation world.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Ron Away

Ron Away New Member

So if we ever have mutiplayer, it would mean buying 5000$ worth of DLCs to join?

3. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Why would multiplayer suddenly need $5000 of DLC? $5000 is a pretty lazy arbitrarily chosen number to provoke the wole “too much DLC grrr D’:<“ thing and makes no sense in the context of TSW at all. Besides, if you don’t own something, you don’t drive on it. Simple as that.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ron Away

Ron Away New Member

Yes it is arbitrarily, the cost for all "future" DLCs isn't my point (can't be estimated at this point) and more DLCs is good since it gives me the choice, no grrr here. The thing is if I want to join an online session on a whole world map and don't have ALL the little parts of it then I won't probably be able to do join. What doesn't make sense here?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

I think it would be more likely that multiplayer would be based around the service mode for each route. So, you sign into multiplayer and pick GWE, as you own it, and then hop onto the next available service. The server would probably be running the clock on the service mode so time is naturally advancing.

Although the idea of a world is interesting, and I have contemplated it myself, it would take a lot of resources to pull off. Covering the entirety of the GWML, for example, would take an abundance of DLC.

6. pschlik

Like I said, if you don’t have part B but do have part A, the server can run part B without blocking anyone out-you’d just run on part A and whenever part B gets involved, you hop off the train. Run 8 does it that way, there is no reason DTG can not. And on the topic of the cost of all DLC, do you really think someone could ever create a multiplayer setup that uses literally all the DLC?

7. nextgenlemon

nextgenlemon Member

I really hope multiplayer wont be based around Service mode, as it would kill the the aspect of doing exactly the one thing you want to do.

Regarding DLC, I hope it would be as it is right now. If you don't have it, it wont load it.

8. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Would it be the case that the DLC packs and game assets are running off the server itself in that case?

Say, for example, DTG bring out the Night Rivera and I don't have it. I spawn in, online, into Paddington to take out a Class 166 while someone beside me is taking out the Night Rivera. Would it be a case that I can see it and hear it, because it's installed on the server, but can't interact with it because the server knows I don't own it?

If so, I could get behind that.

9. pschlik

I don't know how DTG would work with trains you don't have at all. There are a few ways to do it... I figure the time will come eventually as to how that will work, but any viable multiplayer system would also have a way to handle train sets that are only owned on the client side.

10. Sparkplug

Sparkplug New Member

Multiplayer will never work in here unless you have private servers. Kids will just want to wreck trains and cause chaos.

11. Benjwri

Benjwri Member

Which is Impossible because the game ends if you SPAD

12. pschlik

Exactly what I’ve been saying about this issue as well. Id hope that if DTG gives the option, there could be settings server side to handle trolls by kicking them from driving trains for a long time if they SPAD. If a troll cant troll, they wont troll.

13. Benjwri

Benjwri Member

In relation to the idea itself, it would require physics for the Earth being round. This isn’t supported by the unreal engine