An Updated Amtrak Acela For Tsw 2

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Amtrak_Fan, Aug 28, 2020.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes

90.0%
  2. No

10.0%
  1. Amtrak_Fan

Amtrak_Fan Well-Known Member

It would be a cool add-on for the game in my opinion. For a route i'd just say the northeast corridor to start off. Maybe bring some of the old scenario's from ts 2020 to tsw2? I just would like to see an Acela.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Well, 1st they would have to make the Northeast Corridor again. As they couldn't carry it over from TSW due to various issues.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amtrak_Fan

Amtrak_Fan Well-Known Member

Do you think they could use the ACS-64 route for the Acela?

4. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

As Blacknred81 said, they'd have to make NEC all over again to bring it over to TSW 2. That is why it ins't part of the preserved collection.

So if we were to get an Acela, it would be with a brand new route.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I reckon they canned NEC from TSW 2020 because they are working on a new one which will feature the Acela. You can’t have fast trains without including the USA’s fastest train.

• Like Like x 5
  6. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Hmmm, some speculation. I like it!!

But seriously, that is actually a really interesting thought. Maybe we'll see it on the roadmap on Tuesday! Probably not but we can only hope.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Blacknred81

Another thing to point out, but I tested the original NEC route in Train Simulator and theres 2 problems for the Acela.

1. There's only 2 station stops. Newark Penn, and New York Penn. Meaning outside of Sunnyside Yard, theres no stops for the Acela to go to east of NYC. (Next stop east is Stamford)

2. Speed. The Max speed I've seen on the route between Newark Airport and New Rochelle is 100mph, west of New Rochelle, with the next highest being 80mph. Meaning the Acela isn't even being pushed past 100mph.

Looking that these speed charts I found I see 2 other possible routes for the Acela.
    unnamed (1).png
    unnamed (2).png unnamed.png

Route option 1 would be between Boston and Providence. this route is a length of about 43 miles, and would include the Stations of South Boston, the Back Bay, Route 128, and Providence. Max speed per the chart above would be above 140mph, with most of the route above 120. Boston also has Amtrak's Southampton Yard too.

Route option 2 would be the other end of the route, between Washington DC and Baltimore. This route length would be 41 miles, and include the stations of Washington DC, BWI Airport, and Baltimore. Max speed per the chart looks to be about 125mph. Amtrak's Ivy City Maintenance Facility is also located in DC.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Justin Navarro

Justin Navarro Member

we definitely need a couple of Amtrak dlc's cuz its just not fair they release like 5 German routes or five British routes and like one or two American routes. we need a much bigger variety of American content. but yes agreed we need a couple of dlc's from Amtrak like the old Acela and the new 2020 model of Acela that would be

• Like Like x 3
  9. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

I really hope they'll release NEC again.
    But I need a combined NEC/LIRR service mode! :)
    A further extension would be nice, but only NY-Philadelphia is even feasible, the other ones are, unfortunately, way too long.
    And I really hope the ACS-64 comes back, and also the CSX locos and their yards. An Acela on top of that would be great, but it alone would leave me disappointed.

• Like Like x 4
  10. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

The new Acelas are pretty nice. Maybe we could see them on a new NEC route in the future, along with an ACS-64 and CSX ET44AH or ST70AH for freight trains.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

The stated that because it was one of their first routes, it's architecture was no where near compatible for preservation. This is why we aren't getting it. I assume they will remake it from scratch. Now given it's gonna be from scratch, I assume it will be new Rochelle to newark-liberty airport (the route has three stops, not two).
    I'm assuming that they will probably add the extension south. Probably as far as Trenton NJ. You have a section from Trenton to Around New Brunswick thats dubbed "the Raceway". It's a long stretch of mostly straightaway track where trains hit 125-135mph. This is also the same section where a few years ago, Amtrak tested their Acela Express trains (current gen) at speeds of 165mph in hopes of providing that speed for service on that section. Most likely when the Acela next gen hits service (which I saw over the weekend sitting in 30th St yard for the first time in person and I must say, YouTube vids kinda don't do that train justice. It looks better in person!)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Blacknred81

The Acela Express does NOT Stop at New Rochelle. Which was my original argument to why a different area than the original NEC route should be made.
    300px-Amtrak_acela.png

• Like Like x 2
  13. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

1. Creative licence. It's still a game.
    2. And waste all the assets they already have?
    3. It could be expanded upon with extensions, when they finally get that extension are way better than new routes when it comes to areas where other routes already exist.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I vote for Boston to Providence. Best section in terms of speed.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I vote Boston to providence then hopefully they’ll add some Mbta commuter rail into the Boston to providence route.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pcj91

pcj91 New Member

From Boston, they’d have to include past PVD. I don’t believe it hits top speed until Kingston RI

17. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I think there is at least one section of 150 mph between Boston and Providence.