Use Any Train

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ZeenozPlays, Sep 6, 2020.

1. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I think a way to use any train on any line without having to use the scenario planner would be great.

Here’s a way you could make it work.

• When your about to play a service, you can select any train you have from other DLC’s.
    • There would be an option for AI Trains to spawn with the rolling stock you select and the livery you select.
    • Trains can only be used on that line if they fit fully into stations and don’t clip into bumper blocks at the end.

I would really like to see this as I like the way the Talent 2 looks on the Bakerloo with a Red & Black livery.

• Like Like x 3
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Just use the scenario designer. That’s the exact thing the off the rails mode is for. When you start being able to use any train in any timetable service as standard, that’s when the whole concept of the timetable falls apart. You already have the means to do what you want to do, but you have to put a little effort into it and set it up. You can have your Talent 2 on the Bakerloo line right now, it doesn’t require a new feature.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I know it can be done by creating a scenario. I just want to be able to let the game keep going and flow, instead of having to exit the scenario and create a new one for a return journey. They could simply let us choose any train when we are about to play a service.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Costpap

Costpap Member

With the scenario planner, you'd have to make AI trips by yourself, and there can only be 19 of them (20 excluding the player train), while with this suggestion you'd have everything in the normal timetable already configured for you. Also, something I personally hate about the scenario planner is that yards are rather empty, which would be eliminated by this as well. As I see it, personally, it's a win-win situation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

If "off the rails" is available for scenarios, then why can't it also be available for timetable mode?

Scenario creator is nice, but it's considerably more effort to set up a journey + AI traffic compared to Train Simulator's good old Quick Drive mode.

• Like Like x 1
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Other than it being a bit daft having one out of place train in an otherwise authentic timetable there’s no reason at all why it can’t be made available. Train Simulator never had timetable mode for you to choose a service to start with. What you really need is random AI in scenario planner. That’s more likely to happen.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

It's a bit daft to tell other people how they should enjoy their game. If I want to run a Class 101 on the WSR timetable, which IMO wouldn't be that daft, considering the heritage nature of both the line and the loco, and fits the 'diesel gala' theme, then why shouldn't this be possible in the game?

That, a quick drive mode, or just full flexibility in timetable mode. Or just all of these. It's a bit daft to have all kinds of limitations set up, while an "off the rails mode" is only available for limited game modes...

• Like Like x 1
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You’re right. It wouldn’t be daft in that particular instance. I was replying to your suggestion of ‘off the rails’ mode being in timetables, and off the rails specifically allows wrong trains to be used, which would be daft in a timetable setting. Timetable mode is for actual timetabled services with suitable trains and although the substitution system could be expanded to allow more of a selection of suitable trains on WSR and maybe other routes too, allowing any train in timetable mode on all routes isn’t going to happen, they have made scenario planner for that. It’s not perfect but that’s the way they have gone and extra functionality will be added as time goes on.

9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

1. Just because its silly doesn't mean it should be impossible. Some people like to play the game realistically, other people enjoy unrealistic stuff.

2. Just because it's unlikely to happen, doesn't mean we can't make the suggestion, and let DTG know there's a request for it.

• Like Like x 1