On Which "known / Famous" Real Trains You Had The Chance To Ride?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by grdaniel48, Jul 27, 2020.

1. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Please mention:
    Country do you live / Country of the train ride / Train name (or something to identify it) / Departure city / Destination City / Extra comments you would like to mention about it.
    Of course if you rode on an interesting train, even not well known, please tell us about it.

Look forward for your train experiences!

2. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Well I have rode metro north the harlem line.(NYC) Harlem 125st-botanical gardens.& I took the train we all know & love the M7 which are very nice to ride on.I have seen an M3 before.It was the 1st time I have used metro north since I use the subway always.I did some railfanning also

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Not really special, but i've been on the Bluebell Railway and the Llangollen railway. Both in England and both were lovely steam journeys through stunning countryside. Llangollen was amazing with its views and old stations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The Llangollen railway is in Wales, not England. It is lovely, as is the whole area around there.

5. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, sorry had a mind fart

• Like Like x 2
  6. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

In 2012 we did Toronto --> Vancouver on Via Rail and the Rocky Mountaineer. Riding on the verandah at the back of the coach down through the spiral tunnels was amazing. The stewardess couldn't understand why me and my daughter wanted to be outside in the dark with all the diesel fumes and the noise! I had flown all the way from England to experience those sounds and smells.

Then we did the Vancouver --> Whistler on the Whistler Mountaineer which was also amazing.

• Like Like x 2
  7. grdaniel48

Hi Easilyconfused... what a nickname!...Hope you were not confused about the trains you rode! ;)
    You did the Toronto to Vancouver on the famous Canadian?
    Rocky Mountaineer is also an amazing ride too.
    I saw videos of them.
    Hope I have the chance to ride on them in the future!

• Like Like x 1
  8. matthewkonopka2006

matthewkonopka2006 New Member

I did ride the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway once which was fun, and I was going to ride the Snowdon Railway before the train got cancelled, oops

• Like Like x 1
  9. grdaniel48

Despite I live on a small country - Uruguay - in South America, - really far away from the great trains - I had the chance to ride on the following ones:

- Amtrak Pacific Surfliner: from Van Nuys station to San Diego. With the main stop in the middle at Union Station in L.A.. Round Trip
    - Via Rail: Toronto to Montreal / Montreal to Quebec. Round trip
    - SNCF: TGV Atlantique from Montparnasse Paris station to Tours one. Round trip. 300 km/h max speed. The fastest speed I travelled on earth!
    - Thalys (Belgium High Speed train) From Brussels to Rotterdam. Round trip. This was not on high speed route.
    - JR (Japan Rail) Nozomi 700 Shinkanzen bullet train from Nagoya station to Osaka one. / From Nagoya to Tokyo. 280 km/h max speed.
    - Smaller trains:
    Tri Rail on Miami, Florida area. This was just to ride on bilevel cars and as a railfan.
    Tourist train in Spain, from Leida station to as small town close to the Pirineus mountains
    DB 425 train from Munich city (underground station) to Munich Airport.
    Apart from that, I spent 2 hours making train spotting on Munich HBF. Lot of incredible trains there, including ICEs / Railjets / IC, et
    San Pablo Brasil - train by the river

- Subways: Buenos Aires Argentina / Santiago Chile / Panama City / Paris / London / Barcelona / Brussels / Tokyo / New York / Montreal

Would like to have the chance in the future to ride Amtrak / Via Rail long distance trains / ICE / or new trains in UK.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve had the pleasure of taking a trip on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo. It was a most enjoyable experience. I got whistled by the guy on the platform for getting too close to the barrier as it was arriving. It was of course on time to the second, spotlessly clean and very very fast.

• Like Like x 3
  11. grdaniel48

Yes stujoy, it is really other world of trains! Nice you get this riding chance to!
    All Japan is really quite different in lot of things.
    What first payed my attention on Shinkansen, it was the timetable when I reserved my ticket.
    Times are irregular ones. It is not like 9:10 / 9:20 ...etc. It is 9:13 / 9:24, etc.
    When I was waiting for the train at the platform, on the corresponding line about the wagon number - incredible this! - it was 1 minute left before the expected arriving time happens, and I could not see the train. Then suddenly it appeared, and it stop, with my wagon number and its door exactly aligned with the waiting line at the exact time! Unbelievable !
    Then the ride really smooth. The train has not moving feeling when travelling at high speeds, with only exception when another Shinkansen in opposite direction appeared, and you feel a slight movement of the wagon, and another one when it finished to pass away. Amazing!
    Only thing I do no like it, the seats were a bit short, designed for size of japaneses.

• Like Like x 3
  12. lizamouses

lizamouses New Member

Both in England and each had been lovely steam journeys through stunning nation-state that sells the best table saw, but you can read their reviews. Llangollen turned into outstanding with its perspectives and antique stations.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I don't know if this counts because she wasn't moving but I've been on the footplate of Flying Scotsman three or four times and trains/locomotives don't come any more famous than that. I've also "cabbed" most of the surviving A4 Pacifics and V2 Green Arrow but the big thrill was being in "Deltic" 55022 Royal Scots Grey when she was started up.

Mmm... Deltics.

• Like Like x 2
  14. grdaniel48

Yes Timothy!
    Even does not move, the Flying Scotsman, it is a very important and known train!
    Thank you for sharing it!

• Like Like x 1
  15. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

Iv'e been to Steamtown in Scranton PA a few times. Seen several trains running there, one worker even gave me an old spike from the track. I have cabbed the steam loco on which the loco from "The Polar Express" was modelled after.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Oh I'm aware of that. The first time was at an enthusiasts thing in Birmingham that my dad took me to on a cold fairly miserable day- couldn't tell you precisely where or the date but I was still in junior school so the '70s. We queued for ages then had a few seconds to reel at the heat from the fire before being herded out through the corridor tender. It was the first time I'd been on a footplate (with the possible exception of a dimly remembered ride in a DMU). Quite recently I got to know a neighbour who was another enthusiast in his nineties I think. Once he was talking about the first time he'd been aboard a locomotive- it was when he was a kid and his dad had taken him to see Flying Scotsman...

The last time was last year I think just down the road in Shildon. I took Dad with me. It wasn't a big event with the attendant publicity so there was no huge crowd and we had time to have a good look and chat with the staff member overseeing things. Dad didn't remember our visit to Brum at all.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Sierra #28, while not as famous as Sierra #3, still has been in its fair share of movies
    66101413_3423132414378804_7145463423076139008_o.jpg

3 other locos, while not as well known would be...

-Clover Valley Lumber #4
    67722783_3500978453260866_7074964803382411264_o.jpg

-SCBG #2600 "Al Smith"
    67910743_3501002666591778_8056823515845754880_o.jpg
    67871542_3500987416593303_27866100003766272_o.jpg

-And Union Pacific #844 (The GP30, not the FEF-3)
    70403734_3638858892806154_4417328105354428416_o.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I have ridden the Javelin Service running from Deal to London, The Acela from NYC to Washington DC (several times) The Silverton and Durango Tourist Railroad in Colorado, the Royal Gorge Railroad, the Leadville Tourist Railroad also in Colorado and The East Kent Railway in Kent UK

• Like Like x 1
  19. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Many years ago I went on the Island line iow class 483 trains.

Also had haulage behind some 20s on pathfinder tours buffer puffer 13 between Eastbourne and Brighton

• Like Like x 1
  20. HamioSamio098

HamioSamio098 Well-Known Member

I have been on the Bounds Green Class 91 heading to London. It is only really known if you have travelled on the East Coast Main Line.

• Like Like x 1
  21. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Pendolino (tilting train), seen my first when I was about 5 years old, in the late '70s. This train ran over the traditional routes.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elettrotreno_FS_ETR.401 (no ENG)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Class_ETR_450
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Class_ETR_460
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Class_ETR_470
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Class_ETR_480

Another train I'll like to see in TSW(x) its the glorious Trans Europ Express (TEE) hauled by the E444 locomotive or the German "Rheingold" (always a TEE) hauled by the BR103 DB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Class_E.444
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_Europ_Express <- list of all the TEE (you can click over the name to see the specific train)

22. 2-4-1

2-4-1 New Member

My Wife & I rode The Canadian (Toronto to Vancouver) as part of our honeymoon. Unfortunately, though, we had to go by road from Jasper to Vancouver because a freight train broke down, blocking the line.

23. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

American loco tweetsie railroad either 12 or 3 out in Blowing Rock NC boone to blowing rock

24. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

And a ride in a passenger train going from arcade NY to Attica NY and back forgot the number though it was fun and as they moved back I rode in the cabin of the loco this was pre covid in 2019

25. grdaniel48

Thank you so much guys, for sharing those great train rides!
    On my list I forgot one:

I went from New York to Connecticut on the Metro North Commuter train.

Yes, you may think what special about that?.
    Well, for me as not living in the USA, as a railroad fan, I knew this train.
    But an important point about it, is to depart and arrive to the Grand Central Station!
    It s hall it is really beautiful and great!
    Saw it on several movies before.
    Apart from that I saw the Acela train too!
    Famous as being in the original Microsoft Train Simulator!

26. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I've had the pleasure to ride on Italo's AGV (Rome to Turin if I remember correctly) up to 300 km/h which I guess it's quite a well know train (hopefully?).

Never quite tried Frecciarossa, but I must have taken at least 4 times what I think might be the only train in Europe which gets regularly loaded on a ferry. Which is a pretty cool experince, also you can see all the shunting at both ends which takes quite a bit.

IC728 northbound and IC723 southbound (Palermo C.Le-Roma Termini).

I live in Palermo, Italy and before flying became this dirty cheap the train from time to time was actually cheaper and it was quite a bit more popular (must have been early 2010s).

I-traghetti-dello-Stretto-bloccati-per-protesta-039a347958f57ff7fc590c6c80cb5d23.jpg Quite and old picture of a train getting loaded on the ferry

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  27. BigH

BigH Active Member

My dad was a train driver, freight, at "Köln-Frechen-Benzelrather Eisenbahn" near Cologne, Germany. When i was 10-12 he took me to one of these oldtimer exhibitions and because he happened to know some guys, we could ride on a "Preußische P8" Steam loco in the drivers cabin. I will never forget that.
    [​IMG]
    Pic is from Wikipedia

I also got to drive his Deutz DG 1200 BBM occasionally, him standing behind me, and spent a lot of time in my youth at the "Ringlokhalle" (Roundhouse) and "Stellwerk" (Signal Tower). Good times. Thanks, Dad.
    [​IMG]
    ©Gunnar Meisner, rangierdiesel.de

Pobably not so famous, but important for me.