Great Western Express Extension / Upgrade!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by joshpratchett, Sep 3, 2020.

1. joshpratchett

joshpratchett Member

It would be fantastic to have an upgrade to the Great Western Express line. An extension beyond Reading, maybe to Bristol or Cardiff? It would also be great to add the electrification of the line to allow the use of Class 800 etc...

I feel like this is unlikely to happen but I honestly do believe it is something the community are really keen on!

Feel free to add below any other suggestions relating to GWR!

• Like Like x 16
  2. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Give me class 50 and 52 blasting out of paddington and I'm happy i don't care what era its in :D :D

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I would like to have this extension, but I would also like another part of the Great Western Mainline.
    I would love to see the whole of Cornwall for a start, if not, then Plymouth to Exeter. Or Exeter to Bristol.
    Would like to see some more DLC added to the original GWE, maybe a Class 387 or more freight. A Railtour path would be very nice as an addition; you could have the Railtour leaving Southall as an ECS service to Paddington, then going up to Reading and then returning later to Paddington for then another ECS back to Southall.

• Like Like x 7
  4. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

The various branches coming off the mainline between Paddington and Reading would be worth a punt. None are tremendously long and we could also have vintage ones too in the form of the pre Beeching branches to Brentford, Uxbridge, Staines and High Wycombe. As for the existing branches, you could have either the current economised stations, or the larger versions from the past.
    Classes 14, 22, 35, 41, 42, 50, 53, 56, 59, 60, 117, 119, 121, 122, 123, 128, 180 and 210 would be great loco add ons.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  5. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

I think the most likely uprgade of GWE is a 180 and a few branch lines. And a line extension up to Swindon or beyond Newbury.

• Like Like x 3
  6. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/gwe-branch-line-suggestions.26427/
    While I think I confused Gatwick and Heathrow there (I'm sorry), I'd like both.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

That's probably most requested and wanted thing along with NEC extension/brand new NEC.

Please people, don't create those threads, there are plenty of those and people want it. We all know that, DTG knows that etc but it's clearly stated that there will be no route extensions for unseen future.

Please suggest something else. Like route merges that would be like extensions. Thou I doubt it happens as DTG is working on bringing us variety of different things to play with.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kennyjamesscott

I did vote for YES by the way

• Like Like x 1
  9. elarthur

• Like Like x 2
  10. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

No, I will not.
    Also, nonsense.
    That there's nothing in planning or on the roadmap doesn't mean that they can't or won't do it in, let's say, the next 6 months, if demand is high enough.
    That they are willing to change priorities and plans after community feedback they have proven with including preserved routes and locos in the scenario planner. They even pushed the release to include that after many people said they wanted it.
    So, I am convinced that when we get enough people to support something, that is has a chance of getting a higher priority for the devs.
    I am also (besides the merge of RSN and RRO) not lobbying for only extensions to be made in the future.
    What I want to achieve is that when they want to release a route in the future that shares a station with an other, existing route, that it is always an extension from the get-go rather than stand-alone. If we get heard now it won't change the amount of work per route in the future, but only some marketing aspects and is the best way to get longer and more interesting routes and networks in the end.

• Like Like x 3
  11. kennyjamesscott

There are two routes made already that are made with the merge in mind but not with extensions. And they are thinking about merging, not extending. Since merging would make sense.

Example, let's say there is a route A. Then comes route C (situation we currently have in NRW). What would be logical step to do?
    It's creating a route B with merging A and C together while still having three separate standalone routes.

If you did extend the route, then it would still be one route but you would have to pay the price of a new route or portion of it. It just doesn't make sense in business and consumer point of view in my honest opinion while merging does!

12. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Actually, I think the Great Western Express DLC offers the most boring route TSW has. It's a pretty straight 4 track railroad with a flat landscape. It's best enjoyed at 125mph. :P

The good thing about GWE is that it offers a good selection of trains. It's a shame that the trains aren't really used elsewhere (except the Class 66, which we can drive for a whole 5 miles on East Coastway...)

There gotta be more interesting GWR routes to have these trains running on. :P

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rail Runner

That’s why I suggested that if they added a Railtour pathing including ECS from Southall using the locomotives from other routes like Class 47 and Class 33 or Class 37, then it would be more interesting and not just the same old same old and it adds more paths etc.
    It wouldn’t just mean that there is only one path for freight, only one path for The HST services and only a few services for the Class 166.

14. elarthur

Freight wise, you could have fuel trains from Colnbrook, waste trains from Brentford. If the branch lines were fully utilized, then you could run to a few other locations such as Greenford, Windsor, Bourne End/Marlow and Henley and that is not even mentioning the former branches and termini.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

Honestly, in my mind, what you describe seems like more or less the same. It's just semantics.
    But no matter how you call it, I hope you're right and they really will start building upon and connecting past dlc with newer ones.

16. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I agree that if customer demand is high enough, dtg would be swayed to do what the community wants for better customer satisfaction even if what people want isn't announced

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

I don't want to use a word like forced.
    I think they do a genuine effort to listening to the community right now. And that they can be "swayed" to change future priorities.

18. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

I find it really strange that people think that if enough folks ask or call for anything, a certain route or extension to a already out route, that the developers will be forced, and that being the key word here, to do what was asked, nobody is going to force Dovetail, if they don't want to do a route they won't be doing it, player's don't dictate what they will create, they dictate what you will be playing, never going to be the other way round, sorry to point out the reality of this.

19. tallboy7648

I've should've used swayed your right. It's nice that there now starting to listen to the community and trying to improve customer satisfaction

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You have to take into consideration that there may be technical reasons why things won’t happen so it’s not just down to what people want or the amount of pressure put on the devs. GWE is a popular route and yet it has never had any DLC or new timetable layers added, such as for rail tours with trains that came after it in TSW. The only locomotive from it that was later used on another route had to be rebuilt for it to run on that route. It also has to run a reduced timetable and have most of the AI taken out of scenarios for it to run on consoles. There are technical reasons for all of this, so asking for extensions etc. will not make any difference if it can’t actually be added to. Therefore the only way it is likely to get any kind of upgrade is if the route is completely rebuilt, which isn’t going to happen.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Another factor is some costal views in TSW such as Dawlish, Taunton etc i can’t wait to see what the IOW offers in terms of coastal views but one of DTGs strong points is their route building, be nice to see the effort made, maybe DTG Protagonist could add it to the long list of possibles for conversation

22. elarthur

Would be great.

23. elarthur

Just what is needed. Give the route the same tlc that other routes have had or will have. GWE feels like the unwanted offspring of the family.

• Like Like x 3
  24. tallboy7648

I mean saying it won't happen could be true. But it also could happen. You never know. Heck they remade CSX Heavy Haul so they could do it to Great Western Express. I do think though that Dovetail could do a better job optimizing tsw2 for consoles

• Like Like x 1
  25. johnjohn190690

johnjohn190690 Active Member

Branch line to Windsor or Extension to Bristol

• Like Like x 1
  26. tallboy7648

That would be cool

27. samuelbrookes1

samuelbrookes1 Active Member

I think that a DLC should be released with an upgrade for GWE.
    This would include:
    The electrification of the line from Paddington to Reading
    The various branch lines along the route (West Ealing to Greenford, Hayes & Harlington to Heathrow, Slough to Windsor & Eton Central, Maidenhead to Marlow and Twyford to Henley-on-Thames).
    An extension from Reading to Oxford.
    Additional rolling stock for the electrified route:
    Class 332
    upload_2020-9-7_21-16-41.jpeg
    Class 387
    upload_2020-9-7_21-16-57.jpeg
    Class 800
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  28. johnjohn190690

Class 800 and Class 387 would be nice to have in TSW2. Reading to Oxford extension would also be nice with Windsor Central. This needs to happen.

• Like Like x 2
  29. tallboy7648

This would be nice to have the 800s and services to Heathrow Airport

• Like Like x 1
  30. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

If they do add any electric trains they would have to electrify the wires because they are just prop's but really. Why did they neglect GWE no DLC no big update. They should add some trains or an extension for GWE because of how lonely it is

• Like Like x 3
  31. jack.a.varley04

jack.a.varley04 Well-Known Member

I want that class 800. On a real its a good idea save_7.png

• Like Like x 2
  32. johnjohn190690

We need a Class 800 on GWE

• Like Like x 1
  33. tallboy7648

I would love to hear Sam explain why great western express didn't receive any new content or a upgrade. They updated CSX Heavy Haul and added new trains and content to that route along with every other route but why not Great Western Express. It also begs the question of what is going on with the Great Western Railway license Dovetail has? Is it expired or something? They've taken full advantage of the Deutsche Bahn license since the Majority of content available in tsw so far is from Germany. For me at least I would like to know what is going on with the Great Western Railway license. Heck I wouldn't mind paying for a upgrade, electrification and extension of Great Western Express like how we had to pay for a upgrade to CSX Heavy Haul (Sand Patch Grade)

• Like Like x 2
  34. Rail Runner

I would have to say, if they did Rework the GWE, I would hope they would just extend it completely to Bristol or Didcot or somewhere like that. It’s pretty boring just terminating at Reading.

• Like Like x 1
  35. tallboy7648

Especially with the class 43. I love the 43 but the current route is too short for the 43

• Like Like x 2
  36. jack.a.varley04

I want to put the class 43 in a lner livery but we can't change it cus they ain't putting the livery editor on preserved collection

• Like Like x 1
  37. tallboy7648

I don't get why. Ik they said they would have to basically rebuild the train but if not all the preserved collection routes aren't coming at the same time then wouldn't that be the perfect opportunity to make preserved collection trains compatible with the livery designer

• Like Like x 2
  38. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

NO. Don't put that rubbish on GWE.

• Like Like x 1
  39. jack.a.varley04

Your clearly nice class 800 would be amazing

40. jack.a.varley04

Exactly my thoughts

41. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

It doesn't even fit in the time period GWE is built. A 180 would rather fit better.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Rail Runner

I still think that a Class 180 and a Class 57 would be the best move to make. Class 800 is too old for the layout of the Route, the Class 180 was running back then, and also the Class 57s can be used for Railtours, ECS movements and the sleepers in the evening, and early morning.

43. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Oh yeah the time period for GWE is 2015 I believe

• Like Like x 3
  44. jack.a.varley04

Update the line with full overhead

45. Rail Runner

Yes. Just slightly too early for the Class 800s. I’m also hoping for, along side the Class 57 and Class 180, that the Class 70 or Class 59 is added. Because a Class 59 runs around Whatley Quarry and other lines and can be used on the ECW, and the Class 70s are used on Freightliner trains.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Rail Runner

It wouldn’t be worth it. If they did that, I recon it would be worth them updating the whole route, and then making it a Completely different DLC.
    Which I also don’t think they would do. If they did anything like that, I believe they would just move the new route down the Great Western slightly. Maybe Bristol to Exeter or something like that.

47. jack.a.varley04

If they plan that east coast main line
    Also it would be the first British route with full overhead wiring

48. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

Update route X
    Dtg: Ok.
    Now update Y
    Dtg: Ehm ok.
    How about updating route Z
    Dtg: Oh cmon.
    ---
    If Dtg does that then the community is asking to update other routes, so no, every route is set in its time and that's it.

49. johnjohn190690

Some people on this forum want electrification but then say 800 won't be with the time period. All I say extend it down to Bristol and add a couple of branch lines it isn't going to hurt anyone. 800 would be amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  50. tallboy7648

They would have to complete update/upgrade great western express to add the 800s

• Like Like x 2