Steaming Into The Future

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by davidh0501, Sep 9, 2020.

1. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

This evening on Workshop Wednesday Matt & Jamie were driving a steam train on a TS route. What was interesting was that Matt went into great detail about firing, boiler pressure, cut off and damping etc..

Previously Sam had said that DTG have been testing ways of operating steam on TS to test out the physics before bringing it to TSW.

That the lead dev is showing such interest in the mechanics is a hopeful sign that things are quietly progressing in the background.
    Of course nothing is certain until it appears on the roadmap.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Matt just knows this stuff very well anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

If it's not in any shape or form on the Road Map, it's not happening, and they've said multiple times on stream that there are no plans to bring steam trains into TSW unfortunately. Matt does indeed know trains better than the back of his own head, and he's very passionate about them, but again, as far as TSW is concerned, no. Whether or not this changes in the future is yet to be determined, perhaps in TSW3.

• Like Like x 3
  4. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

No plans for the immediate future, Matt has stated several times he eventually wants to get steam into TSW. They just do not want to set an expectation that it will be “coming soon”.

5. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Before Sam kills Matt tomorrow, I have to say that Matt did actually say that it is not in the roadmap, so not being worked on at the moment. Any speculation about work being done in the steam area did not come from him this time.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  6. ShaneS89

ShaneS89 Active Member

I don’t think we’ll hear about them officially working on steam until they start building the first steam era route or loco, by which time they will have already had steam engines running for a while internally. Probably using converted TS locos at first.

I think Sam said on one of the live stream’s they might put project names on the roadmap. Steam will likely turn out to be one of those projects in a year or two, but they won’t want to get everybody’s hopes up for something that could take years to be ready.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. davidh0501

Hah This is pure idle speculation.
    Read my lips. If it’s not on the roadmap it’s not happening!
    Especially as there won’t be enough control keys.
    If we can’t have key presses to open doors or flush toilets, how will we be able to control coal, water, cut-off etc.?

Now will they go for something simple to start with like an 0-4-0 for the IoW or a statement 4-6-0 heritage loco for GWR and Somerset?
    Time for coffee methinks....

• Like Like x 1
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Roadmap killed our dreams :D Now, we know, nothing epic is comming.

9. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Steam isn't something I'm interested in at all and can't think of one loco which would make me buy a steam dlc. Being selfish, I hope we don't see them waste any time on a steam loco.

• Like Like x 2
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I hate steam but wanna buy one!

11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Before the launch of TSW2, the Q&A on the website actually mentioned steam engines. The website stated it'd probably require another engine update to be able to make proper steam simulation and effects.

The way I see it, we can be sure steam trains will make it to TSW at some point. There's just too much demand for it, and it makes no sense not to want them in the game. It might take a few years before the core engine has received the updates it needs to support steam locomotives. Up until that point, there's no point in working on steam locomotives, which explains why they aren't on the roadmap.

Next to the roadmap, there's DTGs ever expanding wishlist. Steam locomotives gotta be pretty high on that wishlist.

12. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I thought I read or heard that TSW2 would lay the foundations for them to start working on steam?

I have no doubt that steam will come, why would they not want it too, I am certain Matt is very keen on it so it is very much a case of when not if?!

There are lots of things that don't interest me but I hope they get made for other users! The more users whose interests are catered for the better. Not sure being selfish is the sort of badge of honour I want to wear!

• Like Like x 2
  13. davidh0501

Personally I’m sad they did away with Broad Gauge.
    Think of the adhesion excitement with a single 9 foot driving wheel!
    Drivers who wore bowler hats.....

• Like Like x 1
  14. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Don’t take it seriously, it was more tongue in cheek.

• Like Like x 1
  15. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

remember a few things. matt is colloquially know the as the professor for a reason. There is an EXTREMELY high demand for steam, meaning there is cash to be had there. no reasons not to work on it, but it is definitely not the easiest thing to make in terms of content.

• Like Like x 1