PC Lirr M7-different Speed Limits Atcvshud

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by m.poznan, Sep 12, 2020.

1. m.poznan

m.poznan Member

Dont know if its a bug, but running my first service today, and decided to run with all saftey sytems enabled.
    With ATC enabled the speeds on the HUD and on the ATC dont match, either they are higher on the HUD or on the ATC or the other way around. Could it be a bug, or just my poor understanding of the ATC system?

In the picture below its visible that the HUD states a higher speed then the ATC, and going over 16MPH will trigger an emergency stop!

Untitled.png

2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The safety system and track speeds will vary. You have to follow the lowest speed, whether that’s on the safety system or the HUD.

In your picture, the safety system is telling you to do 15mph regardless of track speed. That’s the speed you must follow or you will get the emergency brakes applied.

• Like Like x 1
  3. m.poznan

m.poznan Member

Yeah, i do get that, but, in the drive, there was a reversed instance, where the saftey systems permitted a higher speed then the HUD, so in that case, do i follow the ATC or the HUD, i know that there are instances whith PZB where the speed commanded by PZB will be lower then HUD, but i thought that ATC worked differently?

Also with ATC speeds, there is absolutley no way to make stations on time, not even remotley, so that has me wondering as well.

4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

If the ATC gives a higher speed than the track speed, you should follow the track speed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

6. m.poznan

m.poznan Member

I mean, it could be, on the other hand, driving with PZB you can also get a similar scenario where the PZB commands a lower then track speed.. Im really not that good with the saftey systems to be able to tell if it really is a bug or just the way its ment to be!

7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s not a bug. You always drive at the lowest speed. ATC or Track.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

It is not a bug, that is how ATC on the LIRR works. There is a track speed limit and an ATC speed limit, and you always follow whichever is the lowest in the given situation.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

As everyone else has said, it’s not a bug. That’s how the ATC works, it works independently from the track speed, meaning, the ATC can show a 40 MPH Limit, while track speed is 15 or vice versa. The ATC relies solely on the signals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

I also agree. It's not a bug. Welcome to ATC on the LIRR. Here's the best bet:
    Always go the lower speed of the two. Get a feel for what limits are where.

• Like Like x 1
  11. m.poznan

m.poznan Member

Thank you to all of you for the comments, ill surely try to play by the book, and listen to ATC :D

12. Noah Berger

Noah Berger Member

You are in Km/h... The Trains Screen is in MPH...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

ACT and speed limits at LIRR form a weird combination. I really do not understand the way US engineers designed this, assuming the implementation in TSW is correct. It is as mad as allowing trains longer than platform length to stop at some of the short platforms. Not sure if this is realistic as well. You would net expect this at abuy line, or maybe the guard will keep those doors closed somehow?

14. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

It is realistic, the conductor just wouldn’t open the doors that are out of the platform.

15. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Speed you follow = min{ATC Speed, Track Speed}

16. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Yes, similar to Metro North, there is a track speed limit and signal speed limit. With ATC Active (Automatic Train Control) you follow the lower speed between signal speed and track speed. Your signal speed limit will be shown on the in cab display. If the train travels above the indicated in cab signal speed, the alerter will sound. If the alerter is not acknowledged within a few seconds, the train's emergency brakes will be activated.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 2