Livery Designer Wishlist

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by DTG Protagonist, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Agreed with the shipping containers, sucks only seeing CSX containers on Sand Patch Grade, we need the livery editor to add some realistic variety to intermodal consists.
    44558868964_b05f5ff3fd_k.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Please, please, please DTG, let us customize shipping containers!!!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  3. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Possibility to have the base livery of any locomotive or rolling stock already available , in order to make modifications to it. So not to have all the work from 0 if it is already done, and just make some modifications of the livery.

Also would like to make liveries of the shipping containers, as mentioned above!
    It is the only part of the freight cars we can not repaint!
    And it is an important one, due to a full CSX containers trains it does not happen on real world.
    A double stack train, it is colorful, due to the variety of containers companies and its colors.
    I believe it is more important to repaint containers than the proper container freight car itself.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  4. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

What I would find very helpful when it comes to features of the livery designer itself are basically these three things:

- like it has been said before, previous used colours or alternatively some RGB code or something to give the possibility for an exact recreation
    - some coordinate system or similar that we can see where exactly the shape is positioned. The placement is very smooth so that might sound easier than it actually is.
    But it would be very useful:
    Even if we can't save our own shapes we then could at least take notes how we made them so logos would get much easier to reproduce.
    And - further thinking - this would provide an opportunity for sharing liveries over all platforms! Of course it's not the same as the classical sharing but we could post how we made each layer and each livery would get reproducable.
    At least it would be good to have a degree displayed when shapes are turned.
    - and last, also said before, the ability to mirror shapes or groups to the other side of the train.

Over all I would also say quite a good start even if I prefer waiting a bit before I really start to use it. The main reason for this is that with the possibilities for details it's much more complicated to get good detailed pictures of the original liveries that can be used for a rebuild in TSW though.
    This was easier with racing cars for Forza :D but take that as a compliment!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

When Im deep into creating a livery and need to select my next shape. The ai starts to auto select and place all the shapes that I have to navigate past in order to find the one I need. This results in having to delete 10s of layers every time I want to add something.
    As a suggestion for sharing without downloading. The ai would have some sort of reference for everything we do shapes positions colours etc. If this number was displayed at the end of editing. Could it be a case of simply sharing the reference numbers per car. So that less able or time constrained people could type these numbers in and replicate complex liveries?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  6. JGRudnick

I have this same issue and it is very annoying, especially when using a controller. Just to use a square, I have to navigate through 4 shapes, and it adds all of those as layers, even though I didn't select any of them except the square.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

You can mirror it if you set both projection sliders to max.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mkennaway

mkennaway Well-Known Member

You can get round this by always inserting the shape on the bottom layer, or at the top of the list of layers, then move it to wherever you want it. Usually quicker than deleting all the ones it bombards you with.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mkennaway

I have another wish for the livery editor....
    The 300 layer limit is abit limiting.
    It wasnt an issue until I started making complicated shapes/logos.
    I made this UP logo for Example and that Santa Fe lettering. IMG_b89e80a7-592f-486f-bf5a-43fa95762f71.png IMG_dedcf117-699e-433b-af80-7bd00a576788.png the UP logo is 86 shapes. With all the other elements of the livery on I was at the 300 mark in no time.
    The Santa Fe writing 66 shapes
    By the time I had got the red done and the curves i was out of layers and I had to go round saving a layer wherever I could to get the writing on both sides.

If there was a way to save a layer group which turned 66 layers into 1 layer that would work.

Or a 400/500 layer limit would be enough.

Still a very good editor though!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Anthony Pecoraro

Those look fantastic!

11. JGRudnick

Can't wait to see what that Santa Fe car will look like!

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

• Ability to Save Groups - So you could select a group, hit S on it, and a box comes up asking you to type name. You type your name, and hit save. Inside Livery Designer, you can now Create New Layer, than select From Saved Group, and this gives you the option to essentially import the group.
    • Color Swatches/Recently Used Colors - Ability to save your own custom swatches, or at the very least, show recently used colors.
    • Road Number - adds numbering/lettering to said rolling stock/loco. You choose the location and color of the text, and the game automatically places the lettering/numbering. In case of locos, the number that's displayed on the boards will now also show properly on your paint, so you don't have 504 on your paint, and 4425 on the boards around the loco for example.
    • Renaming Layers - self explanatory. So you could hit R, and type in a custom name for your layer/group. Once you're like 50 layers deep, things get really confusing with the standard naming convention.
    • Type of Paint/Finish - I would really like Reflectivity, Specularity and Glossiness sliders at best that let you tweak these, but even a few static options would do, where you could select a finish like "High Gloss" or "Matte".
    • Degrees of Rotation - When you rotate, it would be cool if you could at least see the degrees of rotation, or perhaps even snap to a certain number of degrees.
    • Recolor Groups - Super annoying when you have a bunch of layers together, they're all the same color, but if you want to change said color you have to ungroup them, change the color layer by layer than finally regroup.
    • Create Text Layer - Additional option when creating new layer, presents you with a text box, you type in what you want, and it renders the typed text as new layer or group. Kind of like creating a layer for each letter, but nowhere near as annoying.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  13. SwissMadeKzu

SwissMadeKzu Member

I'd go +1 for this one. Having the possibility of adding the Vehicle Number field for the locomotive / carriage would be a real plus. I would use it heavily for the vehicle identification number.

• Like Like x 2
  14. steadfast

steadfast Member

I've had a chance to play with the livery editor some more, I can only comment on controller controls, not mouse or keyboard.
    My underlying feeling - it's very twitchy, complicated and easy to press the wrong control messing things up, leading to a frustrating experience.
    Dev team - if you haven't, please please please spend an hour playing the livery editor in a recent Forza or Forza Horizon game. If nothing else, the controls are so much nicer, not at all twitchy and options like rotate, scale etc are on different tabs so you don't accidentally choose the wrong option. Using LB and RB to navigate this menu, using the stick to make movements and D pad for fine adjustments feels a more natural action.
    Add in the location coordinates, ability to use groups across different repaints and colour values, as well an overhaul of the controls, I think this solid, if at times frustrating, start could be a fantastic tool that I could lose many hours to!

• Like Like x 3
  15. mkennaway

I totally agree with you here. It is a fantastic tool though with endless possibilities.
    I was using my standard xbox controller to start with and found it very twitchy. I then swapped to my ELITE2 controller with the joysticks tightened and is so much better!
    I also plugged in a keyboard which helped massively, running up and down the layers with the arrows etc fairly speeds things up!

• Like Like x 1
  16. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Being able to create a "cat train" :)

17. migmadmarine

migmadmarine Member

Ability to select color with hex codes, an eyedropper tool for matching colors already used, and a way to save a library of favorited colors. I will also echo the request for editable shipping containers.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Giacomo Giugiaro

Giacomo Giugiaro Member

I didn't want to point out examples. But, since we are at it, I can say the experience with both Forza/Forza Horizon and The Crew 2 were both very painless and extremely satisfying.

I happened to do quite a lot on The Crew 2 even during the Beta, and I remember having no issues doing exactly what I wanted.

• Like Like x 2
  19. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

I think that it would be kind of cool to see a "shop" where we can buy decals for the livery editor with our AP. Just a suggestion.

20. BNSF650

BNSF650 Member

@ Dovetail Games

Please, please, please DTG, let us customize shipping containers!!!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  21. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

The ability to copy a section and paste it. I'm working on a Canadian wheat board and it took me an hour to get one side done :-P

22. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

No no no no no no no no no I don't want microtrasactions or to use action points

• Like Like x 3
  23. elatn

elatn Active Member

I would like custom liveries for Preserved Collection and be able to upload logos. You are not able to upload anything publically regardless.

However, the poor texture in game must be fixed too. The texture is fine in the Livery Designer itself.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  24. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Ability to change seating colour inside. Doesn’t need to be anything special, just the ability to change the seating colours using a colour-wheel

25. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

We have summarised this thread as suggestions for new features in the Livery Designer and passed it to the development team. Further suggestions are welcome, but may only be passed on after the first designer update is complete.

• Like Like x 7
  26. steadfast

steadfast Member

Thanks Sam,
    It is really nice to feel the community is shaping the future and having its feedback listened to!

Jo

• Like Like x 3
  27. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So something I noticed on the EMD GP38-2 while painting it, is that no matter the projection, anything that is on one of the doors on the cab, it will automatically copy it to the other door as well. Would be nice if that could be fix in the 2nd update.
    73aba3a8-634b-4b12-92e3-610685681802.jpg
    f47117b0-9aba-48ce-9215-e195d68889cd.jpg

EDIT: This also only effects the GP38, the SD40 is perfectly fine as both cab doors don't have the mirror effect.
    d837cd0f-4c90-4da6-9cf6-0f8f61f945ca.jpg
    37553fee-7ba1-4068-91a5-a209af01c5ce.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  28. antellis01

antellis01 New Member

1.grid lines for designing layer groups easily.
    2. Save groups so we can go back to them.
    3. Some sort of measurement to show angles and positioning. For example if you accidentally rotate you can reset to 0°
    4. Colour change for group of text
    5. Colour slider chart to match colours.
    6. Save previous used colours.
    7. Shareable designs and vinyl group designs.
    8. Ability to edit containers on the container trains
    9. A stamp feature for shapes for example 52 stars on a flag would be easier to simply position it stamp it then stamp next one

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  29. joshpratchett

joshpratchett Member

Would be really useful to have a 'Rotate By' button, which when pressed would rotate a shape by 45 degrees each press meaning we can easily get a shape to be 'straight' on an X or Y at 90 or at a 45 angle - if that makes sense?

• Like Like x 4
  30. denwar

denwar New Member

Add support for traditional 'skinning' for modders.
    I'd much rather paint a Photoshop template like I have for the last 25 years in every other game.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Mr_Crazey

Mr_Crazey Active Member

To add to this, compress the group so that it only counts as 1 layer. The downside being you couldn't edit the group once compressed unless they added a symbol creater similar to forza specifically for making and editing vinyl groups.

• Like Like x 1
  32. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

This is what I would like to see in the livery editor:

• The ability to paint the underbody of trains, some locos have grey or silver trucks and fuel tank, or silver trucks and black fuel tank.
    • A “copy design” feature, so we don’t have to run out of layers making a logo on one side and have the other side blank.
    • A custom decal creator, would save time creating logos for liveries for multiple locos, we’ll save layers, and the logos would be easier to create and place on the loco. Would also enhance creativity!
    • A feature that lets us save liveries and then copy them onto other locos, would save a ton of time!
    • A higher layer limit, so we can make “special edition liveries”.
    And finally, please, please, please...

Let us paint the intermodal containers!!!!

That’s it for now, I may come up with more in the future, I know these have already been mentioned before, but I’m just restating them, so DTG’s dev team can know there are a lot of ppl who want these features in the livery designer. I’ve attached some pics of special edition liveries so u guys can know what they’ll possibly look like in the livery designer, for references.
    upload_2020-9-3_21-40-23.jpeg

upload_2020-9-3_21-41-13.jpeg

upload_2020-9-3_21-42-35.jpeg

EDIT: Please add a “zoom” feature so we can zoom in on very tight spots in locos so we can create liveries with extra precision. Those police badges on the locos above could be reasons to add it, so we can align them with precision. Precision.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  33. Mr_Crazey

Mr_Crazey Active Member

That Spirit of our Armed Forces loco is super cool but i would HATE to make that ACU camo pattern in the livery creator.

• Like Like x 3
  34. Anthony Pecoraro

You can actually, if you click the delete button on a group, it un groups them.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

The last days I had enough time to test the Livery Designer intensively and I was missing some tools, which can be helpful:
    • a mirror tool, which allows the user to mirror a group of shapes or a single shape identical
    • a number input for the colorbox, to define the exact color when typing in the corresponding numbers
    • some bonus shapes like fire or some flags (of course in scalable vector graphics)
    • and may be some dirt or rust patterns to create a used or weathered look

• Like Like x 2
  36. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s what you can currently do, but he’s asking for a feature to compress a group of layers into one layer, and if that did happen you wouldn’t be able to ungroup the original layers as they wouldn’t exist any more. That’s what he was referring to.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Anthony Pecoraro

Oh.

38. JGRudnick

I was planning on doing the CSX tribute locos at some point. Those are very cool locomotives.

• Like Like x 1
  39. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

• The ability to delete a whole group at once.
    • A higher limit than 300 decals on one unit.
    • Stability fixes so the game won’t crash as much while creating liveries.
    • A snap/grid tool to snap decals to a certain degree.
    • New Shapes (Rectangles and more)
    • A “mirror” option to mirror decals to the other side of the train.
    • Stop the designer from auto placing decals at the front of the train.
    • Higher resolution liveries (They look kinda blurry when you use them in-game)
    • More Text Fonts
    • Gradient Options
    • An option to allow us to put decals on Windows.

• Like Like x 5
  40. Mr_Crazey

Mr_Crazey Active Member

Let me start by saying that I know some of my requests/suggestions have already been listed by other members, i'm simply listing them again to add emphasis.

• Please create a stand alone "layer group creator" or "vinyl group creator" it could be listed as an option in the menu where you select which piece of rolling stock you want to paint, but instead of loading in a train it loads in a blank "canvas" where you could create custom layer groups.
    • Going hand in hand with my first request, please allow us to save our layers groups. Layer groups created in the stand alone layer group creator could be compressed into one image or layer, and then used when customizing trains. For example say i wanted to create a fictional railroad; "Mr crazey Railroad". I could use the standalone layer group creator to make a custom logo for my fictional railroad. And then when i wanted to add that logo too my new custom livery i would simply select "add new layer" and then in addition to "text, shape, and sign" there will be a new option: "custom layer groups" selecting this option will allow you to select from all of the players custom layer groups created in the standalone layer group creator. Then you could add it to your train as a 1 layer image. Of course you would not be able to edit the custom layer groups outside of the standalone custom layer group creator because the layer group will have been compressed into one layer.
    • Please give players a way to share their custom created liveries (and custom layer groups) in a "marketplace" style feature similar to those found in games like "forza" or "need for speed".
    • Please allow us to select colors using HEX code. (According to this thread this feature is already a work in progress)
    • Please add a "recently used colors" option when changing train or emblem colors
    • Please add X, Y, Z coordinates when placing emblem layers.
    • Please add degree of angle when rotating emblems so players can rotate emblems precisely.
    • Please had a "precision controls" toggle. Something that when selected could lower input sensitivity maybe 50% for more precise placement. Players could toggle the option on and off with a single button push while placing emblems.
    • Please allow customization of intermodal containers (separately from well cars)
    • Please allow us to assign permanent number plates to our custom livery locos.
    • Please fix the bug related to layer groups that will create layers of every emblem you scroll past on the front of your loco.
    • Please add additional text fonts.
    • Please add national flags to the signs menu or perhaps a new "flags" menu.
    • Please allow us to paint the bottom parts of the locos, the trucks and tanks.
    • Please add an "undo" button.
    • Please allow us to delete entire layer groups.

• Like Like x 6
  41. zakvdolek

zakvdolek New Member

I’m on Xbox, so “design” is an ambitious word to use... But why in the name of all that is precious, do I feel like the livery editor controls are backwards and inside out, at the same time!

It’s like a double-inverted stick setup (it’s inverted and look/move feel swapped- it reminds me of trying to walk while wearing “drunk goggles”). So please, at least offer the ability to change the designer stick config. (After a few hours of fiddling it’s clear that the controls are loco centric and not camera centric, so you have to imagine you’re controls are moving the loco relative to a fixed camera, rather than moving a camera around the loco- it’s very mind-melting at first use).

Now for my real suggestion, please consider “paintable segments”. If I want to just paint the nose of an AC4400 or just the center part of the ladder rungs a specific color- it’s utterly impossible right now (at least on Xbox, idk about PC’s UX). If you could offer some sort of paintable grid, that would at least make basic painting of “like” surfaces (all ladder rung centers vs. ends, engine bay doors, cab doors, radiator noodle, plow, etc...) sooooo much easier.

Have a large region (like the nose, plow, engine bay doors, etc) selectable as a paintable object, which is further segmented (like squares cut into 4 triangles to allow for sub-segment painting). This would allow something like a white nose, flowing to an angled white nose side-profile, trailing down to a white stripe along the catwalk (of an AC4400), without fiddling with decals for hours (sitting on my head, holding my controller backwards Haha!).

Being able to do this with a “mirror mode”, would allow me to color and decal in a fraction of the time. This is especially critical for us console users, that can’t photoshop something and import a mesh into the game files directly.

• Like Like x 2
  42. Anthony Pecoraro

Set the projection sliders to max to mirror.

• Like Like x 1
  43. mkennaway

I'm on xbox and dont have any problem making complex shapes etc. Moving around alot of the time depends on what you have done to shape/rotation of your vinyl as to how it will move. Once you get used to it I dont see any problem and dont think theres much of a better way to do it. These were created on an xbox one s

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  44. steadfast

steadfast Member

An example of this, in Forza you can paint the mirrors, bonnet and wheel rims separately to the body sides. Also, you select whether you're editing side, roof, front, rear etc, so what you add to the side doesn't end up ruining what you've already added to the front by overlapping it for example

• Like Like x 2
  45. migmadmarine

migmadmarine Member

A larger spawnpool of liveries would really be nice, and perhaps have it guarantee the same number of "slots" to each type of car. For example, if I have 6 liveries for each type of american freight car have it pull three liveries from the 6 box cars, three from the covered hoppers, three from the coal hopper, three from the autoracks, etc. I've not been able to spot any pattern yet, but of the maybe 10 total liveries I have so far, sometimes it will pull all three coal car liveries I have, but not a single double stack, and I have yet to see the covered hoppers or tank cars be re-skinned, despite having two liveries for each.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Caldor

Caldor New Member

I'm late to the party and perhaps this has already been suggested. I would like to see more default signs that we could use. I designed a tanker car in the livery designer, only to find most of the warning signs are for passenger trains. No default hazmat or flammable sign to attach to my creation. Not a big deal, but I like my projects to appear somewhat authentic you know? :)

• Like Like x 2
  47. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

Base plates for the paints

• Like Like x 1
  48. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Locomotive/Unit Number Allocations.
    E.G.
    Unit Number for ICE3M:
    Numbers between 406 001 to 406 010

So when you load up a unit or Locomotive that is from the Livery Designer, the number of the locomotive of Unit will be a random number between the numbers you had selected. So for the example above, it would be any Unit Number between 406 001 and 406 010. And this would be randomly selected when you load up in game.

• Like Like x 2
  49. mufcfanste

mufcfanste Member

Would be good if you could put a NHS viynal on like GBRf 66731 captain tom Moore

• Like Like x 1
  50. migmadmarine

migmadmarine Member

Another idea, if I could have the ability to select the areas I want to paint by type, like the railings on American locos would be great.

• Like Like x 2