Would You Be Interested In New York City Subway?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JackRyan, Jun 13, 2020.

1. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right :D Back on track: World of Subways vol. 1, The Path. It was released in 2008 and the tunnel rendition is still great, and it feels a lot like the real thing. DTG should take note if a NYC subway route is in the pipeline. Don't think so, but I'd love it...

20200921_151200.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. subwayvaughn

subwayvaughn Active Member

Because some of us are still in Bakerloo euphoria.

In regards to the original post topic, I would like to see an IND or BMT line. ixofxiii and Wivenswold mentioned the A train, which I also would like to see, but I'm not sure such a long route is feasible with the unreal engine even though 3/4 of the route in underground. The J, Z, M, and a retro service F from Coney Island to 57th Street in Manhattan would be good candidates imo. All offer a good balance of above and underground transitions, express and local services, and are not vastly long routes.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  3. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Long routes are certainly feasible within Unreal, the main limitations just come down to development time and resources.
    The A line measures in at around 32 miles (52 km). There are routes in TSW with longer lengths, such as Penninsula Corridor (47 miles) and Sand Patch Grade (52 miles). Seeing as how it offers a mixture between underground and overground sections, it serves as a perfect candidate for a NYC subway route, with a mixture of both old and new stock running on it. Its one of the few routes that offer a lot of variety.

4. subwayvaughn

subwayvaughn Active Member

Thanks, SkyMutt for clarifying the limitations of the unreal engine and stating your case on the A Train.
    As I stated, I do like the idea for the A as well, it allows for extra services like the C local, and the S - Rockaway Shuttle, however
    the A's variety in regards to scenery is all gone at Grant Ave where it remains underground all the way to 207th St.
    The J, Z , and (part of) the M are mainly above ground, include the Williamsburg Bridge, Myrtle Ave Junction, and the Broadway Junction.
    IMO that would be more interesting than being underground for the better part of the route.

Overall I would be happy with either because it would be the first high end NYC subway sim since the WOS 7 Line. One "must have" is to include the actual grade timer signals, which WOS did not provide resulting in greatly taking away the authentic feel of operating a NYC Subway.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. QNS Chris

QNS Chris Well-Known Member

Agreed, grade timers would be an indispensable feature - one which would require a fair deal of work in and of itself to accurately simulate. I like the J,Z idea, however, I'm more inclined for the L train as a starter NYCT route for TSW. The L would be a little less to bite off for the developers, as it doesn't have as substantial of an above-grade profile, especially on the Williamsburg Bridge approach. To model the Lower Manhattan / LES skyline appropriately across the Bridge would require a TON of work in regards to scenery and atmosphere to make it look even close to good.

I believe DTG is capable of modeling the Williamsburg Bridge and the skyline for the J,Z. However, IMO, their best work in TSW is done with background skyline (LIRR) or suburban mainline scenery (GWE, HRR, etc.). The LIRR Hudson Yards / West Side Yard is good, but it's a bit...underwhelming.

I think the L works for a NYCT first-go because of it's diversity of scenery and operating profile (underground, at-grade, elevated), the fact that it's a standalone line, as well as the potential of separate operating modes (ATO vs CBTC vs legacy). They could even incorporate the LIRR into the route, as they intersect IVO Broadway Junction, East NY (which I felt they captured the essence of beautifully in LIRR).

All that said, I'll settle for anything NYC-related; two years later, I'm still euphoric over the LIRR. I play WOS-7 train and WOS-PATH on a regular basis. PATH is better than the 7 train, but both are strong routes.

Just my two cents.

6. QNS Chris

QNS Chris Well-Known Member

I still play this often and love it - despite being 12 years old (god, that makes me feel old), it still holds up as a solid sim. My only gripe with WOS-PATH is the lack of diversity in the cab. Whatever though, still love it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ajwilson1889

ajwilson1889 Active Member

Stop it, I live in UK and don't play the London Underground, I dont want to drive what amounts to a tram/bus through dark tunnels

• Like Like x 1
  8. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Why would you when you have World of Subways available already?

9. JeffFromTheIRS

JeffFromTheIRS Member

I wouldn't mind more metro lines to be honest. I'm hoping they decide to expand on the Underground lines. BART would be a pretty fun one to see as well, in my opinion!

• Like Like x 1
  10. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

BART would be no fun at all JeffFromTheIRS - it drives itself - nothing for us to do... seriously though, Yes BART would be good. Something like the line from Concord via Oakland under the bay then down to South San Francisco where it would meet up with the Caltrain at Milbrae.

For NYC I still prefer the F because I rode it every day on my last visit since I was hanging out in Brooklyn at night. It could be extended with the B and Q then you could visit the NYC Transit Museum at Church St :).

11. JeffFromTheIRS

JeffFromTheIRS Member

True haha. Completely forgot that it's automated. I wouldn't mind pretending it's not though! Even if they don't end up making another subway route, I hope they make a newer Tube stock (maybe 1992 or 2009) for the Bakerloo.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

No other Tube Stock runs on the Bakerloo except for the existing 72' Stock.

13. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for BART "operators" - unless they remove the perspex/plexiglas panel and switch to manual control they've only got one control - a big red button JeffFromTheIRS it must be soooo boring.

14. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

I think Dovetail (Matt/Sam!) have stated that one reason for choosing the Bakerloo was that the other underground lines are much more automated, with little for the driver to do. Although the ICEs in LZB mode are somewhat similar!

• Like Like x 1