Duplicate Cd Key From Dovetail?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mattdsoares, Sep 22, 2020.

1. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

I've already contacted the Dovetail Store support and am awaiting a response, but wanted to see if anyone else has ever had or heard of similar problems with the Dovetail Store.

Today I purchased the OBB 4020 EMU that was on sale in the Weekly Deals of the Dovetail store. Purchase went through fine and I got access to my CD key on my account on the Dovetail website. Entered it into Steam and got the Duplicate Key error message saying that that same key has already been redeemed by another Steam account and to contact the retailer for help.

So essentially Dovetail sold me an already used CD Key for the product?!?! Seriously? Again, this was purchased today directly through Dovetail, not some 3rd party key reseller.

2. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I've also had this in the past.

Took them a week, but they reissued my key.

3. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Interestingly, just checked and mine was also for the OBB 4020, however was six months or so ago...

4. mattdsoares

So either an interesting coincidence or Dovetail has issues with their keys for the OBB 4020 and decided to put it on sale again without fixing it.

5. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi mattdsoares,

The keys we use on our store are provided to us by Valve and are typically automatically generated. Because of this, there are often instances where it can issue duplicate or even invalid keys. Valve issues millions of keys every year and it is not possible to catch such keys before they are issued to partners such as ourselves and even customers. Whilst most customers have never seen a duplicate key, others can be unfortunate enough to receive them constantly. Automated systems are not infallible and can go wrong from time-to-time so, it's important you get in touch with us via Customer Support so we can, in the first instance, give you a new key, but also feed this back to Valve to look into at their end.

To resolve your issue, you only need to contact us by submitting a ticket to Customer Support where we can usually sort out the issue the same day you submit your ticket. Please ensure you select Dovetail Store and provide your Order Number when submitting your ticket as failing to do so will put your ticket in the queue of other support tickets, which are answered in the order they are received, and might mean it may take several days for someone to get back to you depending on the current volume awaiting a response.

Hope this helps.

Best, Steve

6. mattdsoares

Thanks Steve

7. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

You're most welcome, mattdsoares :)

Best, Steve