Ice

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dave from Cornwall, Sep 21, 2020.

1. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

Whilst its good fun driving at 250km/h for a few minutes, I do get that feeling that its like the GWR where its get it up to speed and go and make a coffee.

BUT when driving from Aachen to Koln or the other way around I didnt write down which I notice that you get a red light/amber lights so you can literally only go 160 otherwise you need to stop.

Which does make it better than GWE which is leave reading or paddington get to 124mph throttle 2 and disappear to the toilet after drinking coffee on the previous run.

My concern is that when HS1 is done for London, it will be again 30 minutes of drinking coffee...

Does anyone else get that feeling or is just me?

Its where the London underground is actually quite exciting because you have stops every few minutes, but boring because you cant see anything :)

I guess if they could look at branch lines off these mainlines it would make scenarios interesting. Take ICE/mainline train to here...hop off for relief driver to branch...I dont know..

Right I am waffling.

D

• Like Like x 3
  2. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

stick sifa on then it won't be much of drinking coffee i have gone from Aachen to Koln and not have any signal changes affecting my speed but i can see where your coming from

• Like Like x 2
  3. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I mean I completely understand your point, but then again, this is a train simulator and nowadays with the high-end safety and autopiloting systems, this is what it comes down to :D
    Pressing SiFa until your LZB ends

4. dave from Cornwall

It must be Koln to Aachen, you get stuck behind the signals...

Yes I must try doing the safety first technique and use the bings...

D

5. Knightfire1964

Oh sorry meant the otherway round koln to Aachen

6. bones.n.hombre

bones.n.hombre Active Member

I know what you mean, however I found that the minute I break concentration is when a speed reduction will appear and before I know it I have the dreaded yellow speed marker (or even worse red)

7. dave from Cornwall

The trick is to learn the line, where a quick twitter check can take place!

8. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

I got to the same point as well - but then I watched the YouTube stream by Matt on ICE safety systems.
    (think its called German safety systems tutorial)
    Opens a whole new world of learning!
    Once you have then mastered the understanding of the signals and safety systems, try switching OFF the HUD and Markers, it becomes a lot more realistic and busier in the cab.
    Once that is done, try making a few scenarios yourself with stops along the way, and in "Off the Rails" mode, you can even drive the ICE on the East Coast way. (just redesign a livery!)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Knightfire1964

great to hear that stream helped for you. I only needed it to understand LZB but still found it very informative for new comers but yeah i agree running with less HUD does make it challenging but makes you concentrate more

• Like Like x 1
  10. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

westcastlerail it's good to see the stream was useful, we are looking into potentially doing something similar again as it was quite well received.

• Like Like x 3
  11. dave from Cornwall

I have to find time to watch these streams and "unlock" more of the game!

12. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

An introduction to british safety systems would be greatly appreciated, I have not found time to read myself into that.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

I think it would be good to have series of tutorials on signalling / safety systems for all the routes as I've tried to guess some signalling and it hasn't ended well. Also on GWE how do you turn the AWS on in the 66? There doesn't appear to be a button I can press on the AWS panel

14. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

In one of the cabs, there is a fuse box on the back wall. The switch labeled 24 volts turns on the AWS and DSD.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. thomastl59374

I could turn on the DSD and it worked but there was no evidence like a beep when going over the yellow signalling infrastructure similar to the 43 and 166

16. Northerner

Oh, well I'm not sure then as that should turn on the AWS. Which route is this on?

17. thomastl59374

Great western express

• Like Like x 1
  18. Northerner

I've not driven the the 66 on GWE for a while so maybe somewhen else can comment whether it's working or not or if I've just missed something out.

• Like Like x 1
  19. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I quite like the ice. Opened it up on an illegal basis to 320 last night and was curious what it had left in it

• Like Like x 1
  20. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I'm not concerned about HS1, Actually HS1 will not suffer these problems all that much since it's a ""hybrid"" route where you run HS between London St.P and Ebsfleet only, then the last half or 2/3 of the trip up to Faversham are 90mph max on traditional line.

What I'm really scared of is the LGV... now THAT might end up being a bit too much boring

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1