PlayStation Poll: Classic Or Immersion Controls?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by OnlyMe1909, Sep 23, 2020.

?
  1. Classic controls

20 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Immersion controls

64 vote(s)
    76.2%
  1. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

We've been living with the game for a month now. I'm curious to see which controls scheme most players use. So I thought the time was right for poll. Might also be interesting feedback for DTG.

As for myself: I like the closing/opening doors with one button push, but I do find myself mostly using classic controls only. Why? Main reason is that you can't switch between cursor types in the immersion controls. I hate the static dot on the screen, so I always change to 'cross' cursor and move it out of my field of vision. In cabs with AFB, I use the 'cross' cursor and move it to the AFB speed lever and leave it there. That way I only need to hold X button to control AFB speed without changing where you're looking at.
    Second reason is the well known lack of directly controlling the height of the external camera.

The zoom ability... honestly, I never find myself using it, or missing it...

My suggestion to DTG: bring over the one button door controls to the classic controls scheme. You would loose one push control of the wipers, but I always use the in cab buttons for that.

2. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Immersion controls all the way. There's literally nothing I miss about the old controls, for my way of playing the controls in TSW2020 are absurdly clunky, I much prefer the speed at which I can do things with the immersion controls and wouldn't be happy having to go back to the previous scheme.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I use immersion controls unless forced to use classic in the preserved route scenarios. I must say I do prefer the new scheme as it feels more fluid, especially not having to go through all the pop-up menus when you want to contact signaller, open doors, etc.

The only thing that I miss from the classic scheme is the choice of camera modes. If those were somehow added to the immersion scheme then I’d say they were perfect! Well, for me at least anyway :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Immersion control for me unless forced to use classic. I find it a lot more user friendly

5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Immersion controls for me. I do however miss the cursor and the up and down camera controls. The benefits are outweighing the sacrifices for me. The really bad thing, and slightly off topic (but the more we say it the more DTG will get the message) is the locking out of all external cameras while any part of the train is in the tunnel. Back to the topic, I must say that the immersion controls are well named as they do increase the immersion factor a lot. You do need a keyboard as well to truly appreciate TSW2 with immersion controls but that was always the case with classic in TSW2020 too, so that makes no difference to me.

• Like Like x 2
  6. voy_tech

voy_tech Member

Immersion for me as well. It's more fluid, it feels smoother... I use the zoom a lot, door opening is perfect this way. I wish there was more camera controls there tho. In classic scheme you can choose different internal cameras, which allows you to see some of the displays better than with the zoom...

Also, is there a headlights shortcut in immersion? Thats perhaps another option I miss.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Exactly what I wanted to say.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

It seems I'm the exception to the rule in this case :) A bit supprising considering the negative feedback immersion controls got in the beginning. But glad to see people embraced it since then.

9. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Only thing I miss is using the free camera.

• Like Like x 3
  10. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I like immersion but miss the camera fly by of classic. Also until muscle memory properly gets used to it it can be weird going from one route that has immersion to one with only classic

• Like Like x 2
  11. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

There is a way to use immersion on the preserved routes though. Change from Immersion to Classic on the Main game menu, when you load into the preserved route, go into the options menu and change it back to immersion from classic. It will save that setting for your current preserved routes.

12. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I only use Immersive controls on the Bakerloo line as it’s easier to run that way. On every other route, I use Classic.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I use classic controls as I use the free and headout cameras a lot. Although if the camera menu was made available from the immersion controls then I would switch as the new door controls are much better.
    I could not agree more with this, I used to love watching trains come out of tunnels with the free cam which is now not possible. Even tunnels in the preserved routes now have cameras disable which I found very disappointing. I know it's only small thing but for me this just worsens the player experience and makes the game less enjoyable.

• Like Like x 2
  14. BigH

BigH Active Member

Immersion Controls inside the cabin, 100%. The zoom function is great on console. Outside, if i want to take pictures, the classic controls are better. Just for watching the train, i stay with immersion.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I love the immersion controls. I just wish they’d add more functionality to the controller by having a dedicated shift-type button. I’ve posted about this extensively and TrainSim-Matt said it was an interesting idea and he’d have a think about it. Hopefully something under active consideration.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Honestly I use a keyboard to do anything so I prefer the new scheme just because the zoom ability and the door controls. Since I drive a lot Hudless, the zoom ability is incredibly useful to read mileposts and signs at speed.

One thing I'd like is to have a different "SIFA Reset" and "PZB Acknowledge" button so I can cancel out SIFA via controller and not keyboard without having to hear the obnoxious PZB sound everytime

• Like Like x 1
  17. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Same here.

And, once again, I humbly request that DTG allow us to fully remap the controls to our liking. The switch to TSW2 would have been the perfect opportunity...

• Like Like x 1
  18. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

for me...i use the immerson controls when it comes to the Bakerloo line, or passenger views

• Like Like x 1
  19. haiopais

haiopais New Member

I love the new immersion controls scheme. I'm using TSW on PC aswell and I always missed the zoom function. The shortcut for opening / closing doors is nice to have :)
    Finally I'm very happy that there is a workaraound for beeing forced to use the classic scheme in preserved collection scenarios :cool:

EDIT: I almost forgot the outside camera controls, which are IMO way more intuitive to use...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  20. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Classic controls, because free cam what is very nice for rail fanning. And you have a closer view in the instrumentscreens especially in the AC4400. The zoom at immersive is not so strong.

21. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

immersion controls. i got used to it. not pop up when u want to open doors, etc. but, i want the free cam added to it.

• Like Like x 1
  22. box215

box215 Active Member

Both control schemes have their advantages imo

With immersion, it helps to see sign posts when youre going at speed. also easier to switch to the external camera and open the doors with the dpad

But i always find myself sticking with classic controls because of the precision pointer and free external cam. Using the precision pointer for me makes everything so much easier, including using the action train controls to open/close doors (Instead of using the dpad)

23. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

At first immersive controls wanted me to throw the controller out the window so changed it back to classic.

But then when the game made me play with immersive I sort of got used to it and now love it.