Workshop Wednesday Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Oct 1, 2020.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Hi Everyone
    As many of you know, on our regular RailFanTV live stream we have a segment called "Workshop Wednesdays" where we find some of your awesome content from Steam Workshop and run it for everyone to see, whether it's routes or scenarios.

Normally we pick content but we're sure you have found something that you thought was particularly brilliant too and we want to open this to everyone to make your recommendations!

Tell us what gems you've found on Steam Workshop and we'll pick our favourites from your recommendations and include them in the stream!

Note: Scenarios cannot include reskins that are not delivered via Steam.
    Jamie 2020-10-01 (2).png

• Like Like x 1
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

waiting for the pouring in of people who've posted their own content to suggest their own creations...

• Like Like x 5
  3. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Amen dude, we truly live in the golden age of self promotion.

• Like Like x 2
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

:D :D :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I have played a number of UK & European scenarios by Not.Silent which are very good
    DPSimulation also do a good range of UK Scenarios
    A route upgrade I downloaded was Weardale and Teesdale Electric - totally wrong for the area but fun to run

But I notice if I try to search by Train or by Route I get nothing.

Peter

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

While I lean towards North American content, Coasty’s BR155 series is incredible, particularly the In the West segment on the Cologne to Koblenz route.

I also enjoy Not Silent’s work and recently favorited N.S330 on the Soldier Summit route.

Two Sherman Hill workshop scenarios stand out for me: High Iron Simulations UP Extra 30 West and, my all time favorite workshop scenario, Winter Rose by azwarior; it will take you back to the heyday of steam on a cold winter night.

• Like Like x 1
  7. paweuek

paweuek Active Member

Thanks Jamie for this interesting idea. I'm looking forward to what people post here :) But getting to the point, I'd like to suggest this IMHO masterpiece:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1659588973

I think this is great one to try it on live stream because it runned for me flawlessly. You'll find decent amount of traffic. Interesting overtakes and passings and perfect timetable. I've enjoyed it very much. I hope you'll consider my suggestion. Cheers.

PS. Come on this is BR120, everyone loves BR120, don't they? ;-P

8. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

greendragon32 makes some excellent scenarios especially for the two Woodhead routes. "COASTY" also made some great scenarios for various UK routes - very challenging and absorbing.

10. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, for suggestions could everyone please use this to suggest scenarios and routes...
    Name of scenario/route:
    Author:
    Steam Workshop URL:
    Approx Length:
    Why I think you should play it on RFTV:

Please note that content which has dependencies on reskins or non-steam content we will not be able to play on RailFanTV, so please direct your suggestions towards scenarios and routes which are exclusively using content available on Steam.

• Like Like x 2
  11. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

Name of scenario/route: [WS] (4L31) 09:03 Bristol Freightliner-Felixstowe North FLT - North London Line
    Author: grahnewell
    Steam Workshop URL: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542938108
    Approx Length: 1 hour
    Why I think you should play it on RFTV: probably the best workshop scenario I have seen. So detailed and challenging, a lot of time and effort has gone into this and I think it shows the game in the best possible light.

12. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Jamie. It would be more useful if you could start a thread that lists all the workshop routes that are streamed and when the streaming took place please. A thread that only DTG can add too!!!

13. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I just ran an excellent scenario:

Author: trainman4
    Route: CSX Hanover Sub
    Title: CSX 4599 part 3
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2232497411
    Approximate length: 1 hr

The whole CSX 4599 series is good, but this particular installation is excellent. It does a good job of mixing a challenging mainline run with interesting interchange switching. It also highlights an excellent route.

• Like Like x 1
  14. prrsteamfan

prrsteamfan Member

I completely agree with you, thanks for showing these off! Hope others will be able to find them too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

If I can throw this out there, you have a lot of content from High Iron Simulations in the DLC store. Why not pick a few of the free scenarios he has posted and show them from time to time? I know of some on Marias Pass using the Canadian train, for example (not sure if that's him or someone else, it's called Saskatchewan Potash).

16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

17. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

There's a Titfield Line route if you haven't tried that already. You can even drive down the road like from that one scene in the film.

18. Marc von Hoffrichter

Marc von Hoffrichter Member

Anything you dont have to hunt around for dlc to play. Some of this stuff out there is great, but you need 50 different bits of kit.
    Whatley Quarry is good, creators name escapes me.
    I just buy the main dlc for the wksp content anyway. So this is a great idea!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cyclone

That is something I try to catch route creators on. I've seen a couple of potentially interesting routes in the workshop, but then they have 12 different DLC. I call on them to reduce it, and also to remove assets from things like Marias Pass which are internationally locked.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Marc von Hoffrichter

Spot on. Creativity with the basics are best I believe. Ability to create engaging and interesting scenarios is what I enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Cyclone

Indeed. I just posted a route merge idea for the Argyle Line by adding Anderston between Exhibition and Glasgow Central, for any enterprising Workshop creators, but I realized after posting it that we don't have Cumbernauld or Greenfaulds on the Coatbridge end. Unless I just don't realize which DLC it's part of. So that would be a triple if it exists, or a second stub to create to finish the entire line.

And yes, I'm saying that would be a fantastic straight through drive, from Dalmuir to Motherwell, or even all the way to Carstairs on a special service.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Marc von Hoffrichter

23. Cyclone

Ah, you're referring to his routes on the Glasgow Suburban. I gave him an idea for another one I want to drive in a scenario if it's feasible, but I won't spoil what it is until he actually posts it just in case he can't find a feasible way to do it. But yes, I've looked in his collection as well and he has a lot in there. For now I have to avoid the Steam locomotive collection until I feel I can drive those.

• Like Like x 1
  24. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

MattP has done series on this in the last few years so they're out there already. Updates may be good though

25. deanmacgregor

deanmacgregor Active Member

I suggest a route for Natalie's interest in all things Harry Potter, I suggest downloading this hogwarts steam loco Reskin:

https://stglorianagamingcollege.jimdofree.com/the-erecting-shop/gwr-reskins/

It requires Steam sounds supreme's mainline halls pack and falmouth branch.

Create a custom consist using this loco with AP mk1 bsk maroon coaches

Drive this from Loche eil outward bound to arisaig and between the stations, you get the glenfinnan viaduct as featured in the Harry Potter movies.

26. Minerman146

Minerman146 Member

Name of scenario/route: New York Division-Bergen Line
    Author: Minerman146
    Steam Workshop URL: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=265923409
    Approx Length: 2 Hours 20 Minutes / 1 hour 35 Minutes half route run.
    Why I think you should play it on RFTV: This would be the 7th time Matt has run this in the past 6 years. The route is done and awaiting me to finalize it. The last 65 mile section of the route, Matt has not featured. This would be from Suffern, NY to Port Jervis, NY.
    If possible, I would like to participate via voice to talk to Matt about development of the route.

• Like Like x 2
  27. paweuek

paweuek Active Member

That would be really cool!!

• Like Like x 1
  28. Cyclone

Matt showed it off back in 2015 on his channel, IIRC. But seeing the update would not be a bad idea. Is it complete now, or still in progress?

29. Minerman146

Minerman146 Member

Cyclone, it's done. I'm testing and doing scenery fixes. All I have left is to just let go.... and push that button.

Matt was a real inspiration...
    Quoting from memory.
    -This feels alive, I feel like I am part of the world.
    -Just look at this right here, this little scene. The shows what you can do with a few assets..

I remember more of them from his first run. The man just radiates enthusiasm for this game.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Cyclone

Actually, I saw it in 2020. I saw the photo train scenario on Sherman Hill, as well, with the guys plastered around the map in photo spots for the player to locate while driving. Matt missed one on the bridge.

The reason your route being shown stuck with me was because it was such a fantastic route from what I saw at the time, and it didn't have the northern section (even the junction, I believe) at that stage. I recall Matt was literally drooling over how good it was.

EDIT: Forgot to point out I also recall the first from that playlist. It was so good that, when I go to drive that scenario's route myself, I'm going to slip that in as a bonus scenario. It had that special something added to the journey that shut down a line. I say no more for spoilers.

You mean "make final"? Don't be afraid to keep going just a bit further if there's more you can add. Once you mark it final there's no going back. Of course, once final, people can make and post scenarios, and this deserves scenarios.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  31. polarisneo

polarisneo Member

Would be nice to see something on the Midland Mainline

Scenario Name: St Pancras Bedford Stopper
    Scenario Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485482812
    Scenarion Author: Salad

This scenario is just a normal commuter service in a First Capital Connect 319 from St. Pancras to Bedford. Should only be about an hour. All is default DTG stuff and available on steam.

• Like Like x 1
  32. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Can we please go back to the original format of using new workshop routes. It was interesting to see what people had submitted.

33. I would like to see some more/new tutorials. Interesting subjects could be: Signalling, Brakes, Steam Engines.

Also festuring a turntable scenario or a crane scenario would be great.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  34. Hypz

Hypz Active Member

Haven’t got an exact scenario but how about some London Underground Metropolitan Line by Just Trains.

35. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Seconded.

Which is the crane scenario in your shot?

36. nethertown9352

nethertown9352 New Member

Dalton Mine Shaft #3 By Fleegle475 is always good fun, it is very short but offers hours of entertainment.

Requires:

Corris Railway (For track)
    EU Asset Pack (Scenery)
    US Asset Pack (Scenery)
    Corris Expansion Pack (For Locos)

(But I’m sure you have all the DLCs over at DTG headquarters)

37. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

38. Bredyhopi

Bredyhopi New Member

For your info, I am going to release a workshop scenario for North Wales Coastal. This scenario is still a WIP.
    P.S. please bring back North Wales Coastal, I loved that route, Dovetail Games.

39. nethertown9352

nethertown9352 New Member

I have the Route! Would love to see this re released and will definitely download your scenario!

40. Cyclone

Yes, I've posted a suggestion for extending it past the Basford Hall Junction and eventually into Stafford, a path followed by a subscriptionware Missing Link project but not yet visited by DTG. Doing that gives a full drive from Holyhead to London Eutson via a potential merge between NWC and this extension, Trent Valley, and WCML South from 2021. Good time to complete this, IMO.

41. George1862

George1862 Active Member

Please do some Geml action maybe a class 90

42. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Hi DTG Jamie. Brilliant show last night. Couldn’t join the chat as I watched it this morning.

I cannot find the scenario for Pine and Warrburgh, could you or anyone please supply a link for the route? Thank you.

No trouble with the Austrian route but thank you for finding a different workshop route this time.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  43. Cyclone

I would imagine it's on the Workshop. Check the video for the name the scenario had and search that.

44. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I tried that Cyclone, but Jamie didn’t show the screen? Hope he reads the thread he set up and responds. I could only find warrburgh central nothing that says Pine which I thought he said?. The information given in the stream is poor, unlike Tom’s streaming, Just Trains and ATs. It would be helpful if a text was written as to what workshop scenario and route they were streaming.

In fairness, Jamie recently started a thread called Workshop Wednesday Routes and Scenarios, but only listed the streams on February 3rd and 10th, nothing before and nothing since.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  45. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think he's just forgotten to update it.

46. Cyclone

Matt used to update his overlay with this information. Pity that Jamie doesn't.

47. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Just updated the list of the scenarios we have played over the past 2 weeks, keep the suggestions coming for what you want to see run on the Workshop Wednesday's.

48. davidjamesgoodfellow

davidjamesgoodfellow Member

South western railway route from London Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour
    Great western railway London Paddington to Bristol temple meads/penzance on class 800 or hst

49. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Jamie, I was spellings Pine not Pyne, thanks for the link much appreciated.

Would be helpful in future if a text is issued concerning routes and loco etc, to stop everyone asking the same questions on the stream. Just Trains, Train Sim TV and Alan Thomson all give full details in the chat.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  50. Cyclone

Going to throw in one by greendragon32 that I helped inspire an idea for. Back in December 1994, the River Kelvin in range of the Suburban Glasgow line burst its banks and flooded part of Glasgow Central Station, resulting in locomotives 314208 and 314212 being damaged at the Low Level station (for the unaware, Glasgow Central is two stations after Exhibition Centre at one of the termini of Suburban Glasgow, and where Anderston Station is not represented on either route). I took that incident, combined with my idea of a scenario covering both sides of the Argyle in one go, to greendragon and the result was a scenario that starts and ends at Exhibition Centre, a station that is never once seen on any of the six scenarios included with the route, and now we get to see both sides at the start and end of one scenario. It's a route that goes up one part of the Argyle Line, finishes the service, then gets called into a service going the other way on the other line (we can assume a train was delayed by conditions and one is rushing from Helensburg or Dumbarton to fill in our normal return service), requiring you to pop into a siding and change ends while there. You get to do some good activity here! I already recorded a run for my channel, but you might like this one as well.

So as such, here's the information:

Name of scenario/route: After the Storm
    Author: greendragon32
    Steam Workshop URL: Two options: the basic 320, or the 380
    Approx Length: 52-56 minutes depending on which version you use, though the 380 is the train included with the Glasgow Airport Rail Link and, while I may visit it later, is not recorded by me yet as I still don't have the 380 (in other words, I'm suggesting play the 380, but you can choose the 320 if you have yet to show off that train too)
    Why I think you should play it on RFTV: I just talked about this. There are several timetabled stops, and the first half features a lot of cautions and even a straight wait at a red at one point. It is a very interesting scenario, and was literally the first Workshop scenario I played (especially since I inspired it) outside of filming a keyboard tutorial at London/Brighton for my eventual Youtube channel..

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1