Are There Small And Large Files For Textures In This Game ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VION, Jan 16, 2018.

1. VION

VION Active Member

As the game seems crashing when the used RAM memory reach or overcome to 5.5/5.6 Gb on my system (as a 32 bit game don't be able to use more than 3.5/4 Gb of memory) I ask if it was possible to use only low res textures files instead high res textures files for the same 3D object. For that purpose, I saw the graphics game options have a slider to adjust the textures quality but what does it in reality ? With the slider to the left hand side does it load low res textures files or is it just there to mimic some adjustment ?

Any advice and explanation about low res and high res textures appreciated if the game can choose to load whatever texture resolutions. (Sorry for my bad English hope you can understand what I wish to know)

Cheers
    Gerard

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

A lot of newer content does have compressed and uncompressed textures for this reason. They are usually suffixed _nm and _nmc and depending on your graphics card and game settings it may choose the lower compression ones.

• Like Like x 1
  3. VION

VION Active Member

Thank you for your reply Matthew and explanation; what I wished to know was if there was some difference in appearance and file size loaded in the memory RAM between compressed and uncompressed textures files. Logically the compressed textures files would take less space in memory than the others uncompressed occupying much space but visually more beauty. It is like comparing an image with the png bmp suffixed file and a jpg or gif suffixed file. The same image quality but jpg with less informations about pixels/colors than a png. But the width/height of the image is the same right ? Thanks in advance for the accuracies.
    And to be much practical, in the graphics options moving the texture/complexity quality slider all to the left position, then the game load only the nmc suffixed textures files right ?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  4. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

Just heard back from the devs that the slider in question does indeed reduce the memory usage by the game.

- Jay

• Like Like x 1
  5. VION

VION Active Member

Many thanks Jay because reducing the textures/complexity slider back to the left side, in the game I don't see noticeable difference in appearance of the landscape when driving/playing from the cab view. So when reducing the memory usage that could help to avoid to reach the maximum usage memory allowed for TS before the game could crash due to the lack space memory available for the game.
    Good to know because visually, by me I don't see any noticeable difference spotting the slider all to the left or all to the right.
    Obviously that depend of the route, the longer it is the more possibility of crash could happen. I have had some crashes sometimes but I knew and saw the cause because the game overcome to its maximum memory usage around 3.5/3.6 Gb looking at windows task manager memory resource monitor by playing on the same time.
    Thanks again for the information.

Cheers
    Gerard