Manual Airlines On Cars?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by CSX8067, Dec 5, 2017.

1. CSX8067

CSX8067 Guest

I think the the air hoses on the cars should be manual not automatic. IRL they have to be hooked up by hand. I think it would add a little more emersion if you had to walk your consist before depart to check air hoses.

• Like Like x 6
  2. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Heck, you are forgetting about angle cocks. Manually saying "I want this hose connected, this hose unconnected" is one thing, but being able to control the air valves along the train is where it is really at.

3. CSX8067

CSX8067 Guest

sorry to say sir I can't forget about angle cocks. cause I don't know what one is. is that a coupler or something?

4. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

The anglecock is a valve near the coupler that controls if air can move along the brake pipe. Close the anglecocks on your locomotive, and the train brakes will only apply on the locomotive because the brake pipe pressure reduction will be blocked by the closed valve. A more realistic example is opening the anglecock with no hose hooked up, like when a coupler breaks and the hoses come apart; all the air will leave the brake pipe, causing an emergency application. (That's the beauty of air brakes!)

The little handle there is the anglecock. In fact, I think if the handle is in that orientation, the valve would be closed. Looks like they serve no functional purpose at all right now.
    20171206182156_1.jpg
    EDIT: Lol, looks like the auto-language cleaner got this post, reconfigured it to hopefully not purge the post.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Ron Away

Ron Away New Member

Here's a tread I've posted in known issues and bug reports:

I had some thoughts about apparently minute details yesterday. They apply to CSX only since I know nothing about European trains.
    1. In the hump yard, since the angled cocks can't be closed (Thus why the automatic brake works), the whole train should go in emergency every time cars are uncoupled. To be able to use the hump yard, the tap behind the units should be closed. The bleed valves under each car should allow us to drain the system of all pressurized air in the service and emergency reservoirs, brake cylinders and brake pipes.
    2. When uncoupling cars on a siding, the tap on the source side (locomotives) must be closed. In that case, you want the cars left behind to go in emergency. Those with hand brakes applied are bled.
    3. When a train derails, the train line is broken and all the pressure inside of it goes to the atmosphere. The distributors (on each car and locomotive) react to the abrupt drop of pressure in the train line. The air (inside the service and emergency reservoirs) is then directed to the brake cylinders. The emergency kicks in.

In case # 1; service and emergency unwanted.
    In case # 2: emergency expected only on cars left behind.
    In case # 3: emergency expected on the whole train.

The way things are, none of these examples exist. In order to get a Simulator, these things (angled cocks/bleed valves) have to be implemented, otherwise it'll be just another train game. It's cool to open doors and stick posters everywhere but first thing first. I'm not talking about implementing operating locks on switch stands but basic stuff, no? I'd like to know how far you guys expect this game to go in regard to that aspect.

Thanks to all :)

Ron Away, Nov 27, 2017EditReport
    #1+ QuoteReply

Despite their terrible graphics, Run 8 allows all of the above to happen. TSW is a train game sadly.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CSX8067

CSX8067 Guest

ah I get what you mean now. and now those do not serve a purpose in this simulator. they are just for looks.

7. Karl456

Karl456 Member

This is a really good suggestion for features DTG should add to TSW as soon as possible. But due to the fact that not all persons will like the idea of brake hoses, that need to be coupled manually, and I'd like to suggest the following:
    Especially in shunting scenarios it would be nice to be able to switch between automatic or manual air hose couplings. Personally, I'd prefer manual air hose couplings, because I just love realistic operations, no arcade games. But for those not wanting to complete this extra work, there should be the possibility to enable automatically coupling air hoses.
    Would really love to see this feature come to CSX:HH, but also all other routes, where air hoses are coupled manually in real world. And when we can realize brake hoses, which can be coupled manually, why shouldn't we get electric cables between the wagons and locomotives to couple between them (MU cables and others)? But that would just be a proposal for the future.;)

8. CSX8067

CSX8067 Guest

i am glad you agree with this. and I agree with you. but I do think it would add a lot more realism to the simulator and would not be so arcade like.

9. Karl456

Karl456 Member

That's exactly what I mean. I love realism, otherwise I wouldn't need a simulator game. Isn't it a simulator game's purpose to display reality as good as possible?
    Furthermore, I'd like to have a statement of DTG about our topic here...:|

10. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Sure, but balanced against gameplay. What's being proposed here would result in the player having to walk a mile or more along a train to check every airhose connection, on one side, and then walk all the way back on the other side checking those hoses too. That's a lot of work, especially when the main aim of a Train Simulator is to drive the train.

The thing about arguing for realism; where does it end? For example; why am I getting out of the locomotive in Cumberland to operates switches? Shouldn't I have a Conductor or some such on board to do that for me? Also, when shunting shouldn't I have someone telling me how far away from the loose cars I am and how fast I should be going?

That would make the game much more realistic but would take a lot of coding to achieve and get right.

Now, I would suggest that if hooking up to a consist you could certainly get out and hook up the airhoses of the first car to the locomotive without necessarily worrying about any of the others. That brings together a good balance of realism and gameplay.

• Like Like x 2
  11. CSX8067

CSX8067 Guest

well I don't think you would need to check the hoses twice. just once would be fine. and for shunting I think one air hose might work. the other cars would not have breaks though. and I agree about the conductor that would be very useful. because right now the engineer is doing both jobs.

12. Karl456

Karl456 Member

As I have already mentioned, I'd like to see a solution where you can choose in the options, if you'd like to couple air hoses manually or let it do automatically by an imagined yard worker or whoever.:)
    But I agree with Corvan, too, a good balance between realism and gameplay is what we need. The problem is that every person has its own idea of how much realism and gameplay would be ideal. The first one likes a lot of realism and doesn't really care about gameplay, the second thinks that gameplay is much more important that realism and the third one likes both and wants a mixture of both.
    That is, why in my opinion it is absolutely necessary to give us the possibility to adjust the grade of realism in the options. Do I want manually or automatically coupling air hoses, do I want to go out of the train and switch manually or not, do I want a real behavior of the train with wheel slip, detailed physics and so on or do I just want to have fun not caring about realism? So, DTG, if you should really implement some new features which give some more realism to the game, then please also give us the possibility to choose ourselves, if we want to enable this new feature or not. I think that is the only way to satisfy both realism and gameplay lovers.;)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  13. CSX8067

CSX8067 Guest

good point. but I don't think DTG is listing or they would have said something on this to. the lights are on but no ones home.

14. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I would love this too!

15. Karl456

Karl456 Member

A lot of people would, but DTG absolutely doesn't care about that. We still don't have a statement of them and if we would have one, it would be something like: "We've got a lot to do at the moment and concentrate on other projects, so unfortunately we cannot give you any promises." - Thanks, so I know as much as I did before.:(

• Like Like x 1
  16. CSX8067

CSX8067 Guest

just to update this a little. I have never been a rail road worker. but I think they did walk the train when going over the road to check hoses and stuff. but being only a virtual engineer I do it on my trains. but have not played this for almost a month now. HEY DTG we need you're thoughts here to.

• Like Like x 1