Ts Route Proposal - Ireland (dublin To Belfast)

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by AyrtonS8, Jan 16, 2018.

1. AyrtonS8

AyrtonS8 Well-Known Member

We have England, Scotland and Wales in TS but what about Ireland? This route proposal article is to propose that Ireland should be included in the game.

In the past year or so we have seen Wales get added into TS in the form of South Wales Coastal from Bristol to Swansea and more recently North Wales Coastal from Crewe to Llandudno. I think the time is coming for Ireland to join the list of countries that are in Train Simulator. But what routes and trains should I think be included in Irelands debut package?

Route
    I think the first route for Ireland should be Dublin to Belfast. This would introduce 2 of Irelands big cities into the game. The route from Dublin to Belfast is around 110 miles in length and runs along the East coast of Ireland. The route is also known as the Cross-Border line as it runs through the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland border. The driving time of the route is just over 2hrs when driving a service. The 2 end point stations on the route would be Dublin Connolly Station and Belfast Central Station.
    Dublin Connolly Station
    [​IMG]

Belfast Central Station
    [​IMG]

In the route map below you can see many possibilities to extend the route. Maybe adding the branch lines from Belfast to Bangor, Larne or Coleraine would add more choice of where to drive in the route. If mainline is what you want more of, adding the route from Dublin to Rosslare would add lots more driving time on the route and would also make Dublin the central city of the route.
    [​IMG]

Trains
    The main train of the pack will be the Enterprise Train that runs Express services from Dublin to Belfast. This train is made up of Class 201 Diesel Locomotives with Coaches made by De Dietrich Ferroviaire and a Mark 3 Generator Van.

[​IMG]

A train that could be included is the NIR Class 4000 trains. These are used in Northern Ireland and if the branch lines at Belfast are included to Bangor and other places, then this train would be very useful to have.

[​IMG]

So this is the route and trains that I would like to see for an Irish pack for TS. I think Ireland would be a great
    country to include in TS. It would provide something a bit different to the usual British add-ons we see for TS and also introduce a new country at the same time. Please add your thoughts in the comments for if you think Ireland should be added into TS and if this would be a good route for it.

Thank you for reading :)

• Like Like x 16
  2. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

You're welcome! :)
    I totally agree with you, why not Ireland? There's nothing quite like it for TS!

• Like Like x 3
  3. 05jstone

05jstone Member

May I suggest some GNRI locomotives for the route?

[​IMG]
    Class A 0-6-0

[​IMG]
    Class BP 4-4-0T (Belfast Central Railway)

[​IMG]
    Class C 0-6-0

[​IMG]
    Class H 2-4-0

[​IMG]
    Class JS 4-2-2

[​IMG]
    Class JT 2-4-2T

[​IMG]
    Class P/Ps 4-4-0

[​IMG]
    Class PP/PPs 4-4-0

[​IMG]
    Class T2 4-4-2T

[​IMG]
    Class RT 0-6-4T

• Like Like x 7
  4. AyrtonS8

Yeah Steam is a good shout :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

I already have the Dublin to Cork route.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 2cme

2cme New Member

Well, There's the excellent freeware Dublin to Cork/Limerick/Kerry by Brendan on UKTrainsim, with over 200 miles plus, custom Irish rail stock to boot. It's a monster of a route... But any new TS input would be greatly welcomed. The Irish Rail 181 class GM's are diesel classics.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  7. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Thanks, but could you please link me to that route? I can't find it anywhere when I try to search for it.

8. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

9. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  10. 2cme

2cme New Member

Hi Western, Here's the link on the Uktrainsim site.. It might be worth a short pro membership to get the direct downloads as the free option will take ages. I don't think it's hosted anywhere else.
    http://members.uktrainsim.com/filelib-info.php?form_fileid=37356

• Like Like x 1
  11. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

When clicking "HERE" to become a premium member, it says:
    404 - File or directory not found.
    What should I do?

12. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Well, no matter, I managed to download it anyways. It's downloading!

13. 2cme

2cme New Member

Hi 52_Western, I am not sure what's going on there, The site seems barely alive. It will all download as freeware, just takes ages because there is a download throttle limit on non premium members.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Hi 2cme, yes, it did take ages. But the downloaded file name is: "UKTS_37356_Dublin_to_Limerick_and_Cork_Update_2017" Update? Does that mean I need the original version, and install this 2017 update? Thanks!

15. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

http://www.uktrainsim.com/filelib-info.php?form_fileid=35529

This is the base route; there should be a ReadMe file within the downloaded folder which will give you instructions on everything else you need to get it running. You'll probably have to download the Assets files as well, I expect the ReadMe will specify.

Unfortunately it does take a long time to download content from UkTrainSim if you don't have a premium account but on the other hand they need to cover hosting costs and so on.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

I too would welcome a route like this. I live in Northern Ireland and I think some payware Irish trains and routes would be most welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AyrtonS8

Yeah. I'm interested in seeing Irish routes and trains in TS. I'm actually surprised there isn't a Irish route available for TS on Steam yet.

• Like Like x 3
  18. thegevo5k

thegevo5k Member

Ireland would be interesting, but very cool at the same time. TS2018 needs to branch out into more countries in my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Would love to see Ireland in train simulator world

• Like Like x 2
  20. AyrtonS8

Yeah. There is only so much you can do in the 3 main countries in TS (UK, Germany, America). Ireland would be a nice addition to have and it would also be a opportunity to bring in new players to the game.

• Like Like x 2
  21. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

Especially if DTG made a small route from Belfast to Dundalk like some company did (I forgot their name now) when they made the Enterprise route part 1 as that incuded the 201, 071/111 class and several DEMU's like the Class 80 and I am certain there was an NIR Class 450 in MSTS as well. It seems that Ireland and Northern Ireland have been overlooked for TS2018 :(.

EDIT: I am referring to payware products as there is a freeware Dublin to Cork route available.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  22. ronandh10

ronandh10 New Member

Where did you get the route

• Like Like x 1
  23. BristolRE

BristolRE New Member

Just coming across this now, even after about 2 years, we still don't have any N. Irish/ Irish content which is sad :(.

One thing i'd love to see is the line from Great Victoria St. to Portrush or/and Derry/Londonderry re-created in the sim, just like on Trainz, but brought up to modern standards with the newer Londonderry and Belfast central (Lanyon place) stations.

OR!

Another idea would be the "Larne line" from Gt. Victoria St. - Larne, Including the Railway Preservation society of Ireland (RPSI) base in Whitehead. which could see the possibility of Steam excursions. utilizing The Mk.2 stock and 85 "Merlin" AND/OR 131.

Just a thought !

• Like Like x 1
  24. Luke’s Railway Videos

Luke’s Railway Videos New Member

I think Dundalk to Belfast would be great as it’s only about 50 miles long, Newry-Belfast is 38 miles

• Like Like x 2
  25. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

One reason we don't have Irish routes is the track gauge.
    To do it properly as Payware you would need to create all the trains, coaches, wagons for the route and because of the gauge the would be different to those coaches created for UK rails - even though a lot are identical