Sound Panning

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by triznya.andras, Oct 5, 2020.

1. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Taking from https://steamcommunity.com/app/24010/discussions/3/2936867947879335609/

Since the most recent update, the in-cab sound panning is extreme. E.g.
    • DRGW SD40-2 (Soldier Summit)
      I pan a bit to the left to have a better view, and 90% engine sound is in my left ear.
    • Amtrak P30CH (Miami - West Palm Beach)
      I sound the horn and it comes completely from the left.
    • It is also possible to mute the sounds by looking in certain angles, up/down that is.
    Swapping the 32 and 64 bit OpenAL used to do the trick, but I'm not sure now.
    It currently behaves as the OpenAL32 used to behave when used from RailWorks64.

The OP said: i am driving the virgin class 47 ..from the outside you can hear the engine , the horn etc ..however in the driving seat ..its quiet and when i press the horn you can only faintly hear it ..however when i turn my head/ mouse to look to the rear of the cab ,,the engine sound comes back

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Dunno if it's relevant but you'd get something like this from a surround-sound system if some of the speakers weren't hooked up.

3. triznya.andras

Could be relevant, yes. Maybe the game forces 4.1 even on headphones (2.0). Which could be due to inadequate data types as well.

Or, is there maybe a chance of the game thinking I have a surround system?
    I have quite a few sound outputs although none new and only one connected, and overall configured as stereo output.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  4. Smokebox

Smokebox Active Member

You need to run Setup_Audio.bat. It's located in your RailWorks root folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\RailWorks).

• Like Like x 1
  5. triznya.andras

Hm. I'm a bit afraid. I know this was official suggestion for TS 2019. Does it still apply?
    TS 2021 deployed a new version of both DLLs, roughly 2 MB in size.
    The old versions still exist, roughly 0.4 MB in size.
    In fact, as a test I've renamed my OpenAL32 and RailWorks64 runs just fine.

In any event, you gave me an idea. I should try the 32 bit version for comparison's sake.
    I will also try stuff along the lines of what you recommended.

6. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

There is no need to run this anymore since we added the 64-bit version of the OpenAL libraries and corrected the instance of the audio engine that would have problems producing audio in 64-bit. Doing so will break the audio completely or cause other unknown issues.

Have you tried verifying your install to ensure you've got all the library files? You might also want to check to ensure Enable EAX is enabled in the in-game settings menu. The new audio libraries were tested extensively in both stereo and surround setups (though technically TS doesn't support surround but OpenAL simulates it quite well) and no issues were found ahead of release. It would be useful to understand whether there is correlation with 32-bit or if it's the same in both. If after trying this, you get no improvement, drop us a ticket so we can grab some diagnostic info from you to pass over to the engineers to look into.

Best, Steve

7. Smokebox

Smokebox Active Member

Ah, good to know ... I must've missed the announcement about that.

8. triznya.andras

Hello, sorry about the massive delay, kept forgetting about it.

1) Ran a verification, didn't change anything except a random loft tile on a route I never played, and restoring a scenario with Quick Drive in the title, which I must have removed manually. (I do run verification sort of regularly - got caught by funny stuff years ago after removing DLC.)
    2) 32 and 64 bit games behave the same, as far as I can hear.
    3) I don't seem to have "Enable EAX" option. I have EFX and it's off - it's the environmental effects, with the reverb and sound? I tried that once and I know it from Sam's stream, and I really don't like it (anywhere, not just TS - it totally doesn't sound real).

4) As for the engine sounds - I used this view in SD40s for years, improving upon the view area. It was always a little panned, but now it's about 10% on the right, only, which is very annoying in headphones. In this specific engine (Classic US SD40-2 Black) it doesn't ever cut out, there is about 1-5% minimum. Also didn't manage to find a complete silent spot looking all around including up and down. Overall I guess it depends on a number of things, e.g. seat position and maybe even field of view, if it changes seat position. When making the original complaint above I was actually running the old CN SD40-2 which has a seat position a little above this and behind.
    20201110083523_1.jpg

5) Environmental sounds are also funny. Trains are fine or mostly, as well as certain short range sounds such as crossing bells or cars. Other environmental sounds, such as platforms, city soundscapes, those are generally weird. I recall them being audible from a range, but now they tend to cut off. In many places there are no sounds at all, such as several North London Line stops.
    I've been doing the DB BR 442 München-Garmisch scenarios and noted that at this view, there is a relatively strong environmental sound (chattering), but only from the right platform and in the right ear only:
    20201110081509_1.jpg
    However if I move a little to the left here, the sounds cut out completely, then a little more and the sounds come in from the left, although very weak:
    20201110081513_1.jpg
    So you can reproduce it by running the first, 30 minute scenario, looking for this stop, and roaming around. Or just a quick free roam, or even route edit.

6) One improvement I noticed - the game doesn't start without sounds anymore.

Overall I think the panning values have been changed since TS 2019, intentional or else, causing the changes explained in 4-5.

Hope it helps, and thanks.