Locomotive Proposal: Lner P2

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by 52_Western, Jan 18, 2018.

1. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

[​IMG]
    (photo of the original 2001 LOVE O' The North P2, from NRM - National Railway Museum)

What is it?

The London North Eastern Railway P2 was a class of six 2-8-2 steam locomotives, designed by Sir Nigel Gresley:

Nº 2001 'LOVE o' the North' (built 1934)

Nº 2002 'Earl Marischal' (built 1934)

Nº 2003 'Lord President' (built 1936)

Nº 2004 'Mons Meg' (built 1936)

Nº 2005 'Thane of Fife' (built 1936)

Nº 2006 'Wolf of Badenoch' (built 1936)

More Information:

They were built between 1934 and 1936 in Doncaster Works for working heavy express trains over the harsh Edinburgh-Aberdeen Line. Between 1943 and 1944 the class was rebuilt under Gresley's successor, Edward Thompson, into the LNER A2/2 4-6-2 type. As they were to serve on Scottish expresses, they were given famous names from Scottish lore.

New build P2:

None of the P2 locomotives survived into preservation as all were rebuilt into LNER A2/2 Pacifics by 1944, yet two new engines are being built in both original shape and streamlined condition. One engine will be a replica of the first member of the class ('LOVE o' the North').

The P2 Steam Locomotive Company:

In 2010, the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, who were responsible for the construction of 60163 Tornado, announced plans to hold a feasibility study into building a new P2 class locomotive, which would be numbered as 2007 and named 'Prince of Wales'. The locomotive is said to share 70% commonality on parts with Tornado including the boiler and tender. Modern modifications to the original design include roller bearings (also featured on Tornado) and an all-welded, all-steel boiler; the final build will utilise Lentz poppet valve gear. In most other respects, 'Prince of Wales' will match the appearance of the original 'LOVE o' the North' prior to streamlining. The project is estimated to cost £5,000,000.00.

Doncaster P2 Locomotive Trust:

The Doncaster Locomotive Trust plans to build a working replica of the prototype Nº 2001 'LOVE o' the North' as modified in 1938; using Gresley motion, Walschaerts valve gear, and a LNER A4 style 'Buggati' streamlined front. The locomotive's frames were cut in April 2014, at Tata's Steel's Wednesfield works.

Note:

Once the locomotive gets into preservation, it'll be the largest and most powerful steam locomotive in working order, in the whole of UK.

Why it should be made for Train Simulator:

Due to its speed (over 70mph!) and power it'll be a pure joy to use it in Train Simulator. I think everyone would enjoy using the LNER P2 if it were for Train Simulator. I certainly would. ■

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the media shown here, nor do I claim to. All media belongs to their rightful owners. I just put them in here for illustration purposes.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

*not LOVE, LOVE! I tried to edit it, but in the editor it says LOVE. Here however, it says LOVE. It probably thinks I want to use C-o-c-k as a bad word.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  3. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

It just doesn't let me type C-O-C-K without '-'.

4. 05jstone

05jstone Member

I would LOVE to see this in Train Simulator! And to be honest, I would rather see more LMS, GWR, LNER, and SR content in Train Simulator than BR content.

Heck, I would also rather see PRE-GROUPING content!

• Like Like x 3
  5. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

I see what you did there... :D
    Fair enough. Things for people who want them can have them (something like that).

• Like Like x 1
  6. DeadlyDorito

DeadlyDorito Member

• Like Like x 3
  7. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Marcus

Marcus New Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Bradley Burden

Bradley Burden New Member

I would love to see this locomotive in Train Simulator!
    In fact after P2 Prince Of Wales is finished being built the Trust are thinking of building the next LNER V4 #3403 and after that the next LNER V3 tank engine and after that the next LNER K3 (Don't know the road numbers yet).
    If this new engine is in the downloads i would download it but I don't think it would be in downloads.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Keegan1104

Keegan1104 Member

theyre hasnt been anything released from DT itself since the GWR DukeDogs. So im losing trust in DT.

• Like Like x 1