I'd Like Female Train Drivers In The Game, Please.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Taschi, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Taschi

Taschi New Member

So I've bought a ton of DLC over the last year or so and it's begun to bug me that literally every route and vehicle I own uses a male driver model, and that all the advertising for TSW also exclusively features men. Now, women in railway jobs are really nothing new, so maybe some of the next DLCs could feature a new model or two? I'm not even asking for parity. Just having women represented at all would be a hu

I posted this on the Steam forums a couple of days ago and it went COMPLETELY off the rails (no pun intended): http://steamcommunity.com/app/24010/discussions/3/1693785035806659165/

I honestly don't think there's any malice in DTG and all of their cooperators just forgetting that women exist. But it's fairly obvious from the above thread that some people in the community do think the railway hobby is a boys' club and needs to remain a boys' club. I humbly disagree with this and think DTG should be conscious of that, instead of reinforcing that notion.

Also, it would be nice if somebody could moderate away the off-topic trolling, transphobia, homophobia, ableism and racism that people keep dropping in that Steam thread, sooo... if the community managers are more active here than over there, please check your mod queue. Thanks!

• Like Like x 8
  2. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Some of the AI train drivers on GWR are female and some of the crew on the CSX locos are also female.

3. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

Yea TSW has female train drivers on every route.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  4. Taschi

Taschi New Member

Huh, that's nice to know.

5. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

This is something that I honestly have never noticed in over 4000 hours of simming in TS201X. Not that I am against it, just not one of the items I looked for. Even in TSW, noticed the female conductors on CSX, but was no big deal. Guess I was more interested in the fidelity of the train models and accuracy of the route.

I guess what I am trying to say, the gender of the drivers might not be a hot item for many who use the simulation. Doesn’t bother me one way or the other.

6. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Problem is, the drivers in TS2018 are part of the locomotive model, which is why "no driver" versions of locomotives need to exist. In theory, it would be possible to have a train that has multiple different crew models, but it would not be practical to do on all DLC, since TS2018 is not designed with the driver 3D model in mind. (TSW is designed to handle that though.)

Who looks at the drivers in TS2018 anyway?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Taschi

Taschi New Member

So... have male drivers for some models and female drivers for some other models. This really isn't rocket science.

8. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

Definitely no malice intended and as mentioned, we have female drivers in a few of our products and hope to continue the trend with our upcoming content!

I'll look into that thread now.

- Jay

9. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

In any game I play, I usually pick a female character if given the option and have done so in TSW.

That being said, it isn't a big deal to me not having the option in TS2018.

pschlik, as always, brings up a very good point of them being part of the engine model.

10. Overland

Overland New Member

drivers definately arnt part of the model - this was my fear with 03 Hellfire being stuck with that sinister looking moonfaced man always peering through the window like a slenderman in each screenshot, shattering the beauty and soul of the train..

although I wish I could swap say Corris line women passenger with the driver they do seem to be all collective pile of models into one file.

Deleting the "Character" Folder in the AP file definately does remove the driver..
    [​IMG]

shouldnt be too hard to simply rename-replace if we did have a singular female model..

eg.

[​IMG]
    Personally I remove drivers from everything.. I love trains.. not people :cool:

You can also remove the passengers by the same methods - or select which to remove on some rolling stock
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. some random railfan

some random railfan New Member

some of my locomotives doesn't have no driver alternative, is there any way of fixing that
    ??

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The trains so look a bit silly when going along without a person in the cab

I'm not sure what difference the type of driver make in TS2022
    When you get in the cab they disappear unless you have an outside view
    Because the driver is built in you would have duplicates of everything to put a different driver in the seat of a train going the opposite direction to the player train.
    How many people would decide not to purchase an add-on because it has a Female driver?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. locobilly

locobilly Well-Known Member

Well there are plenty of females working for DTG so I don't know why they haven't done it yet, like has been said, there are female crew in TSW2.

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You did not bother reading the posts above before replying.

The Driver figure is part of the loco/unit if you want a option for a male or female driver you would need twice as many versions of what you have now. And when you went to drive a train you would not only have to choose what livery of unit you want but also which driver.

For the AP Class 319 which I got recently it has 18 different liveries so you would need 36 versions depending on which driver figure you wanted - the extra time it would take to do would start increasing the cost to the purchaser.

TSW2 is a different game built on a different setup where the driver is a separate figure

• Like Like x 3
  15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

We've been through this a few months ago. You can't make any common sense statements without being called sexist. I'm staying well away from this.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

By posting a response you are not “staying well away from this”. And, by labelling your own opinion as “common sense”, you’re implying that people’s who’s opinion contradicts your own do not have common sense and are therefore negated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  17. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

Why the sudden interest in a necro thread from four years ago?

The answer is the same today as it was then. Unless you've got significant modding knowledge it can't be done with existing DLC.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  18. Pookeyhead

See what I mean? Toxic. You have no idea what I said previously, or whether it actually was common sense or not. You just want to have an internet fight. Grow up.

19. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

I’ve removed the unnecessarily snippy final line of my post incase that was the bit that upset you, Pookey. The rest I stand by.

Unless there were more than two topics covering this subject, I am aware of what you said in the other thread, and I contributed to the other thread at the time.

I have no interest in an internet fight with you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2022
  20. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I don't see the point of this argument. TS is an old game with no support for different driver models, unless you mod it in or as said above, with duplicate versions of the same locomotive. So what is the point in arguing over it, if it's can't happen either way?

Thankfully TSW supports different avatar models, which is a good point for people like me who like a bit more custimzation.

21. locobilly

So they could double up some of the power units with a female driver for perhaps the most popular routes? At least make an effort. I can just imagine the outcry if every single driver in TS was female!

22. Dinosbacsi

Problem with that is, it would significantly increase storage space requirements and fill up the selection screens with countless of duplicates. And then you would also need every single scenario duplicated for male and female drivers to actually use them. I mean it would look ridiculous. Just accept the fact that sadly this game does not support this, as it wasn't made with this in mind. TSW, on the other hand, does.

• Like Like x 1
  23. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you feel you need to play a game with Female Train Drivers TSW2 is the Game for you - TS2022 is not.

24. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I’m sure with their next EMU release for a route, DTG could only have only female drivers. No need to duplicate and a small readdressing of the balance?

• Like Like x 1
  25. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

They use the same driver figure on most DLC - you expect them to spend time and money to make a Female Driver?

26. locobilly

I already do.

27. Dinosbacsi

Well sure, they could do that. After all, many rolling stock have custom driver models. But what if the person in question (who wants to play as female drivers) is not interested in the stock or the route, even despite the female driver model?

For this reason, it's the best interest for the players themselves to simply not care about what kind of driver sits in the cab, and simply accept it as a limitation of the game.

But your question makes me wonder, are there any rolling stock for TS actually featuring female drivers?

28. inversnecky

I’ve never seen one.

29. brummie

brummie Active Member

I've only seen the two male drivers I think, one is the Robin Van Persie look alike.

30. some random railfan

do anyone know how to make no driver versions of old dlcs that doesnt have no driver alternatives?

31. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The oldest stuff is in the Kuju folder
    Looking at the Class 37 bin file it has this entry

<iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
    <BlueprintSetID>
    <iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
    <Provider d:type="cDeltaString">Kuju</Provider>
    <Product d:type="cDeltaString">RailSimulator</Product>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
    </BlueprintSetID>
    <BlueprintID d:type="cDeltaString">Scenery\Characters\TrainDriver70_01.xml</BlueprintID>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>

You could make a backup then delete this entry and see if that works.

In theory the system only places a driver in the cab of a train that needs one
    Park the loco in a siding and there is no driver

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. inversnecky

Shame not alway in practice, though. Was recently on a route where rusty old steam locos were parked up together in an old siding: each and every one with a driver!

33. locobilly

Why not? They're taking money from female customers presumably - enough to introduce female train crew in TSW2, which points to them understanding the problem. Once again how would you feel if every driver in TS was female? I bet you'd be raising merry hell!
    Thy should also add a driver from an ethnic minority as a train driver whilst they are at it. You might like to live in the past but it's 2022 you know.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  34. locobilly

Lets be honest here, that was acceptable back when the game was first produced, but if the game was new they'd model several drivers to include females and ethnic minorities wouldn't they? This would better reflect the reality. It is a little bit distasteful for me to just see white males driving trains in this day and age. It needs addressing as it doesn't reflect the fact, especially here in London. I'm sure a company worth so much could find a solution if they tried.
    I think the answer might be to add female drivers to some new releases (along with an ethnic minority driver) to redress the balance somewhat.
    The argument that DTG can't afford it is quite frankly pathetic, they are a multi million pound company employing nearly 200 staff, of course they can afford to do it. Saying otherwise points to the poster using that as an excuse for something he doesn't want to see, probably because he's a white male!

• Like Like x 1
  35. some random railfan

When I go inside the kuju sd40-2 BNSF theres no driver folder to remove.

36. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If your only response it to put something in bold then sort it out yourself

37. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you are just going to make racial comments about a person because they don't agree with you then I'm finished with this thread.

38. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

The Imbue Studio / ATS Class 185
    20220106140721_1.jpg 20220106140656_1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  39. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

You'd better not drive the historic routes then if you find it distateful. If you were using one of the historic routes such a Promontory summit set in 1869 then female drivers would not better reflect the reality, nor would there be any female drivers on the 50s Riviera. Just a couple of examples.

40. Pookeyhead

I agree with him, am I racist as well?

41. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

I would NOT say he's racist per se - the majority of UK and European routes (DTG is British remember) have caucasian drivers. The game has white male drivers. No racism implied, just a fact when you look at the locomotives. Granted, there may be more females who want to drive trains these days, and the community (and DTG) certainly appear to be making that happen in game.
    I'd love to see more women; I am a straight white male after all! :D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  42. Pookeyhead

So by implication, so am I?

43. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Oh my days - I meant to say "would NOT say" now edited. Sorry.

44. some random railfan

I think he said someone on the forum was a ''white male'' .

45. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

Halycon makes human packs for Omsi2, maybe there's a market for it in TS to ?
    I understand the issue, I know when I play games I like my character to resemble myself, that makes me relate more to the character I am playing.. so I totally get it.
    Historical facts..is that something we should really worry about when it comes to people, look at Hollywood, I assume those of you that want accuracy also joins petitions to stop black actors from playing gunslingers in westerns ?

• Like Like x 2
  46. Pookeyhead

It depends if the film was meant to be an accurate account or not. I enjoyed Django Unchained, so.. (shrug). I think most in here are in danger of making sweeping generalisations about people, as always happens in such discussions.

• Like Like x 3
  47. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

You assume wrongly in my case, olsbyn. A film is usually made for entertainment & escapism and not necessarily accurate (Fast & Furious movies for example). A documentary (and simulators) with historical recreations on the other hand should strive to be accurate.