Western Pullman

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Marit Wesselink, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Marit Wesselink

Marit Wesselink Member

The Western Pullman, also called ''Blue Pullman'' where high-speed luxury trains used from 1960 to 1973 by British Railways. They were the first Pullman diesel-electric multiple units, incorporating several novel features. There were two versions, built by Metro Cammell in Birmingham: two first-class six-car sets for the London Midland Region (LMR), and three two-class eight-car sets for the Western Region (WR).

The trains they used for it where Class 251 (motor cars) and 261 (with kitchen). They never weared the numbers on the side, what is useful to other trains. The Blue Pullman is also a moviestar, because it's got three featured films like the documentary.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I hope these train is coming to Train Simulator soon!

• Like Like x 10
  2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ardaeshir

Ardaeshir Well-Known Member

Strongly agreed. This is an iconic British 60s design.

None survived into preservation, which is both a challenge and an opportunity for Train Simulator.

- The challenge would be with obtaining audio suitable to represent these, as well as modelling some finer details based on only plans and photos.
    - The opportunity is self-explanatory. TS would be the only way to experience and drive them. This is exactly what simulator games are for - allowing people to experience something otherwise impossible in the real world.

• Like Like x 3
  4. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Quite, although there seem to many who only want to experience on the sim what they can at their local station. For me a sim should be all encompassing.

I think you could probably find something close to the sound of the Blue Pullman, it wouldn't be 100% but good enough I am sure.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Great suggestion. Something I would have loved to see preserved, what scenarios would you include on which routes?

• Like Like x 1
  6. ryansrail

ryansrail New Member

The midland mainline - London to Bedford could work for the midland pullman and also the great western mainline for the western pullman

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dazzlegette

Dazzlegette Member

I know it's not exactly what you wanted, but it's probably only a matter of time before someone reskins a HST in its striking new pullman livery.

8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The sounds would definitely be the issue here, there are very few (if any) recordings of the type at work. The closest alias might be to take the MTU HST sounds and subdue them slightly.

9. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

While the lack of any preserved stock is an issue there is plenty of material available. Blue Pullman by Robertson is pretty comprehensive and I believe there’s also a more recent, 2019 edition, with additional material.

10. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Hi stranger, long time no see. Do you have a link please?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

12. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Like here.
    https://www.major.wales/reskins/LSL

13. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

I too would welcome this as a payware add-on. I would be happy for DTG to use the MTU sounds with some tweaks as for the horn though. Perhaps the Class 41 Prototype Horn would be the closest to what they may have sounded like. Like the Nuhh-Nhaa horn. I am sure the NRM/125 Group would assist DTG on the horns but I am happy to live with the deltic horns.

14. Supertone

Supertone New Member

I do like HSTs but just because you paint your car in Gulf colours..it doesn't make it the same as the one in Le Man's! I really hope they make an 'Official' Class 251 for TS.. Nanking Blue and White of course.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

It's only an opinion but by god is that Pullman HST ugly, I will say it's better looking than the original Pullman pictured at the start of the thread though, none made it into preservation you say? Why am I not surprised!

17. classx#9142

classx#9142 New Member

18. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You have to be a member of UKTS to download anything from the site

19. decrepitts#7027

decrepitts#7027 Well-Known Member

Speaking of UKTS. For the past few months, both my browsers-of-choice (Firefox and Brave) block access to the site with a warning of Potential Security Risk. I can select to go there anyway, but have so far decided to play it safe. Does anyone else have this issue, or know what's up (if anything)?

20. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

You have to pay for site certification, as UKTS seems to be stuck permanently about one revolution of the water rotating in the bowl to it actually being flushed down the toilet they no longer intend renewing the certificate, the site is still as safe as it's ever been you just need an extra step to view their pages.

Matt Peddlesden shows no interest in it and his father Peter has commented recently that he's hoping that the community form a syndicate and take over the running (and costs) of it.

But as for the warning don't worry about it just click on Proceed anyway or Advanced and proceed or whatever it asks, tbh I can't remember exactly what the proceed hyperlink/button says as I have the forum set to never log out so I rarely get the warning when I open the page.

• Like Like x 1
  21. KTL_Rob Powell

KTL_Rob Powell Well-Known Member

It isn't that Matt shows no interest in it - he left it to his father to run many years ago when he joined DTG to avoid a conflict of interests. He still does things on the backend when he has time to do such as security certificates. Note that I say WHEN he has the time to do so as his day job obviously has him quite busy.

• Like Like x 2