Suggestions For Future Amtrak Dlc

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Class395, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Class395

Class395 Active Member

Since Sam mentioned last stream that they still hold the Amtrak license and that a future Amtrak DLC is likely, I wanted to throw a couple of ideas of routes that I genuinenly think would provide a nice place to show off TSW2's visuals and also interesting scenario opportunities. These routes give way to future development of rolling stock as DLC for these routes.

*Disclaimer*
    I am not suggesting the implementation of the full routes as they are not feasible both from development or gameplay perspectives. The sections of route I'm suggesting are in the brief description of each route.

Here they go:

- Cascades (Vancouver BC to Eugene OR):
    Either from Vancouver BC to Seattle WA or from Seattle WA to Portland OR. The American Northwest is easily one of the most scenic places in North America. It also has interesting rolling stock F40s, SC44 Challenger and Talgo trainsets not to mention F40s converted into powerless cab cars, could be very very cool.
    [​IMG]

- Pacific Surfliner (San Luís Obispo CA to San Diego CA)
    My suggestion is either making a longer route and putting in the entire stretch from LA Union Station to San Diego Santa Fe. If that was not possible my bet would be Oceanside to San Diego as the line runs right next to the coast and is by far the most scenic part of the route. Cool rolling stock with MP59s, SC44s and Superliner Cab Cars. Would be amazing to have this route in the sim.
    [​IMG]

- Autotrain (Lowton VA to Sanford FL)
    How cool would it be to have a bit of the Autotrain line? One of the longest passenger trains in the world not to mention P42s. My guess would be a 60 mile or so bit from either of the two terminuses, Lowton VA or Sanford FL as it would involve shunting this huge train to couple to the autoracks.
    I mean, just look at it:

- Acela (Boston MA to Washington DC)
    Last but not least huh? Definetely the best sections would be the Boston MA to New Haven CT or Boston MA to Providence RI as they're by far the most scenic. Plus, the future Avelia Liberty trains look sexy as hell and would be cool rolling stock DLC when they finally enter service next year. Just imagine being able to drive the original Acela to Boston and switch over to the Avelia for the return journey to New Haven. Sign. Me. Up.
    [​IMG]

So that's it from me. If anybody has some other Amtrak route suggestions feel free to post them down below.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

I actually think the Avelia liberty trains are the ugliest high speed trains I have ever seen xD, and I'm sad the next gen TGV will have the same bulbous nose, but I wouldn't say no to them in the game!

• Like Like x 6
  3. Class395

Class395 Active Member

I mean, I also like the look of the Talgo AVE trainsets we have down here which are widely considered to be among the most disgusting trains ever built lol.
    [​IMG]

I just find these appealing in a ''so bad that's good'' way. I don't know what but the Avelia has something I find really good looking, maybe it's the Amtrak livery.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Oh I love the patos and patitos of Renfe! They are so unique! For me the S-102 is the coolest looking high speed train.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

They are actually not bad. Believe me I've seen worse ;)

6. Class395

Class395 Active Member

The Talgo locomotives and cab cars may be ugly but the interior of the train is absolutely amazing. I also really like the low floor (by european standards at least) and profile of these trains. It's a Shame the Series 6 sets are being retired, however, it looks like the Series 8 sets from the cancelled Hiawatha project will be moved to Washington in order to serve as Cascades trains which means there will be Talgos in the US for years to come. (Makes a me a bit proud as they are our national product).

It would be amazing to have this route in the sim as it's one of the most unique ones in North America.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  7. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

The Surfliner is my choice. I'd love the new SC44 Charger and a couple of BNSF diesels for freight services. I'd like an ET44C4 and Genset Switcher.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

I made a whole suggestion on the Pacific Surfliner. Definitely my top pick. Cascades would also be super cool. But doesn’t the auto train only stop once for a crew change?

9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

It does, however, the line it runs on from at least Lorton, is also shared by the....
    -Silver Star
    -Silver Meteor
    -Northeast Regional
    -Carolina
    So it could be a mixed Amtrak/CSX route, even though no station stops would be made for the Auto Train, but the majority of the work would be setting it up/taking it apart in Lorton

Also the Surfliner goes all the way to San Luis Obispo.

10. Class395

Class395 Active Member

Oops, I fixed my original post, thanks for letting me know. We would even have the real switching locomotives Amtrak use as the Dash 8 is on the roadmap, granted it's a different variant but they could just slap a Amtrak livery on it and I would be more then happy.

11. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Most people would definitely not be happy with that, as there are major differences between a C40-8W used by CSX and a B32-8WH used by Amtrak...
    CSX_7689_GE_C40-8W.jpg
    amt500a.jpg

12. Class395

Class395 Active Member

I see your point lol, I didn't realise they were THAT different. I'm more of a EU guy but still have a spot in my heart for american stuff.

13. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

When will the American freight lines be operational?