White Pass & Yukon Route Suggestion.

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by josh.ostrowski03, Jul 21, 2020.

1. josh.ostrowski03

josh.ostrowski03 Active Member

The White Pass & Yukon Route (Reporting mark: WPY) is a 3 foot gauge route that starts in Skagway, Alaska, and terminates at Carcross, Yukon, for a total route length of 67.5 miles. They currently operate as a tourist railroad, using preserved steam engines, old MLW DL535E diesels, and GE 90 Class diesels that are unique to this route. My favorite routes in TS are always the mountain passes (Donner / Marias), so this route would be an awesome addition to Train Simulator!!!
    Pictures of the route:
    White-Pass-Summit-Excursion-887x665.jpg
    White-Pass-Yukon-Railroad.jpg
    1280px-WPYR-Shops_20060609_13-45-17bf_SkagwayAK.jpg
    Pictures of the locomotives that could be included:
    MLW DL535E:
    IMG_5519.jpg
    GE 90 Class:
    WPYR.96.SKAGWAY.08.06.08.L.jpg

I have always loved the WPY because of its odd motive power and beautiful scenery, and it would mean a lot to me if this route could be released as an addon with the pictured locomotives included. If anyone else also thinks that this would make a good addon, please continue the discussion so DTG will see that there is demand for this route to be made from the community.
    Josh

• Like Like x 7
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  3. josh.ostrowski03

oof, I forgot that they had received new locomotives recently. These would also make a good addition to the route, but I personally would want their older diesels included.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I'm not a great fan of slow US routes where you slog up one side of a hill then watch the brakes down the other but I watched a cab ride video for the WP&Y on YouTube a little while ago and I have to admit thinking, "this would be good in TS".

• Like Like x 4
  5. josh.ostrowski03

yeah, its a very scenic route.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JGRudnick

I would rather see the older diesels too. It makes me sad just thinking about the older diesels leaving, probably to be scrapped.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Didn't the Durango and Silverton buy a few of the DL535s ?

• Like Like x 4
  8. JGRudnick

Idk, that would be great if they did.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  10. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Wow! This could be such a great route. We really should get this for Train Sim World 2. Man, the scenery would be amazing in the newer game! The route could include the two older diesels and rolling stock, plus a snowplow. Later DLCs could add the new NRE diesels and hopefully the steam locos.

• Like Like x 3
  11. josh.ostrowski03

You make a good point about getting this route for Train Sim World 2. Even though I really would love to have this route in TS2020, it might go beyond the limits of this game if it were to be as detailed as I would want it to be. If they added this route to Train Sim World 2, you bet that im gonna buy it just to run on this one route.

• Like Like x 2
  12. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Perhaps we could even get the White Pass steam locos and rotary plow as well. White Pass 1.jpeg
    I have no idea where 52's tender's at.
    White Pass 52.jpg White Pass 69.jpg Cinderella.jpg White Pass 73.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. steammaster4449

Continued from my previous reply: Yukon Queen.jpg Klondike Katie.jpeg White Pass 195.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. josh.ostrowski03

15. steammaster4449

I've seen a small handful of videos on YouTube of a German steam rotary, as well as a diesel powered Southern Pacific one, being used and working, so it is doable. After a little bit of digging, I found Romantic Railroads released the German rotary through JustTrains, https://www.justtrains.net/product/romantic-railroads-german-br44-class-locomotive-and-snowploughs , and I'm unable to find the Southern Pacific diesel powered one. Now, there IS a Steam version of that pack I've linked, but it doesn't include the rotary and the associated snow bank asset. So, in short, it IS doable, it's just a matter of whether or not someone with the know how is willing to do it.

Edit: Corrected spelling and punctuation.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. josh.ostrowski03

wow, I didn't know that JustTrains made a rotary snowplow, looks awesome too. This kinda makes me wonder if they could make an addon for the UP 9000 Class rotary snowplow?
    up-900081.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Railmaster97

Railmaster97 New Member

I have personally experienced a ride along #73 and would LOVE to see this in TS! I talked with the head conductor the entire way up and down the pass and he even gave me some official WP&YR shirt pins and a book telling you where all the locos and rolling stock were currently staged/stored.

• Like Like x 3
  18. steammaster4449

Wouldn't surprise me. Granted, it probably wouldn't BE JustTrains doing it, but they could probably help out the person, or people, doing it. It would most definitely be a pleasure to see it come to the game. While we're at it, why not put the Southern Pacific's fleet of rotaries as they were built, steam powered, and perhaps remake the SP Cab Forward DLC and bring it up to today's Train Sim standards and get it to work in tandem with the rotaries and have the snow banks done like what JT has done with their rotaries, but, with no offense to JT, obviously some better texturing done externally and internally. Also, of note, that rotaries a 900000 class rotary. In typical Union Pacific style, if I'm not mistaken, it's the largest rotary plow to be operated by a railroad.

19. steammaster4449

Union Pacific Class.jpg

THIS is a Union Pacific 9000 Class. Only one left around nowadays is the first one, number 9000, sitting in the same parking lot museum, no offense to RailGiants but that's basically what they are when you really look at it, that UP got 4014 out of for ITS rebuild and rise to fame.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Does it have six coupled axles? I can't help wondering what its minimum curve radius is...
    "Three."
    "Three chains? That's better than I expected."
    "Three furlongs!"

• Like Like x 2
  21. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Nice route idea josh.ostrowski03 , looks a very scenic route, what era would you have the route? and what locomotives would you include? also what do you like about this route?

• Like Like x 2
  22. josh.ostrowski03

There are many reasons why I like this route, mostly because of its amazing scenery and wide variety of weather conditions, along with it being a very old route once used for gold mining. If the route were to be made for TS, I would want it to be set in the 1990s during its early years as a heritage railway. Possible locomotive inclusions, definitely the GE 90 Class and the MLW DL535E along with one of their preserved steam locos most likely #73. Rolling stock should include their heritage passenger cars and some of their freight equipment, maybe with the inclusion of a rotary snowplow.
    Cool to know that some of you guys likes this route idea.

• Like Like x 2
  23. steammaster4449

Russia had the idea to make a 4-14-4. Granted, they dreamed to big for the railways at the time, but it did happen. 4-14-4.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-14-4

Edit: Also, the 9000's were relegated mostly to the more flat, straighter eastern prairie lines of the system, so that tells you something about the minimum curve needed for them.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020