Future Passenger Information Screen Upgrade Ideas & Suggestions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Oct 14, 2020.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I'm delighted to hear that the Passenger Information Screens (PIS) have further been upgraded and are (I assume) able to show more information/more intelligent at displaying service information, as briefly shown in tonight's München - Augsburg livestream.

I am confident DTG can upgrade these further, ready for the South Eastern High Speed (SEHS) route, so I've got a few suggestions as to what can be done, if possible.

*Being realistic, I do not expect all of these listed below to come out at once. They're simply a suggestions list.*

The information provided and style of departure screens will naturally vary from station to station. As well as from country to country.
    The examples I have given below are for UK stations ONLY (however may not be exclusive to it and may be applicable elsewhere)

Ideas and suggestions:

- Where no services are booked for a certain platform at all, instead of leaving the PIS blank, make it display the Train Operating Company (TOC) website or 'Welcome to X station'
    - Add timetabled arrival times next to the calling points
    - For passing trains, make it display a 'stand clear/fast train' message
    - Display the train formation as 'This train has/this train is formed of X coaches'
    - Include a summary of departures on the larger, horizontal screens.

Real life examples:
    Fast train message:
    [​IMG]
    Departure board summary screen:
    [​IMG]
    Train formation message:
    [​IMG]
    Booked arrival times:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

The second image is deffo one I want to see incorporated into TSW2.

I'm hoping they do manage to get these working on user created scenario's too in future but now I'm just being greedy :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  3. londonmidland

Technically TSW already has this information so I'd of thought it would be relatively easy to display the departure summaries on the boards.

Hopefully we see this functioning in SEHS.

4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Verbal announcements too, like...

“The train approaching platform 2 doesn’t stop here. Please stand behind the yellow line...”

• Like Like x 1
  5. londonmidland

I would like that, however I would like ALL of the passenger information screens to be functional first before we get proper announcements in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think the tech is probably there to do the departure summary board, there's just been no where to put them.

7. londonmidland

It's probably been possible since release of the Bakerloo Line. However the Bakerloo Line doesn't use those sorts of departure screens.

8. londonmidland

I am however looking forward to an announcement system, as I'll most likely mod them into something more realistic.

9. InstaSim

InstaSim Member

These would be cool, but Booked Arrival Time (as shown on the bottom photo) I wouldn't say is entirely necessary. I live in Wales, and our PIS displays (at least as of writing) don't' include Booked Arrival Times and only include the station calling pattern.

10. londonmidland

True, that's more of an added bonus more than anything. After the information screens are done, I'll be having some fun with the announcements if/when they implement them in.

11. InstaSim

InstaSim Member

Ye me too :) I'd love to see more working PIS screens though regardless of how they look. Apparently the Preserved Crew have been working on implementing them to a route. My gut feeling is it might be GWE as that's the only route I can think of which hasn't been released yet (UK routes) which has PIS boards but not working displays. If that's true then that'd be really cool :D but don't quote me on that 100%, that's my thoughts based on something Adam said on stream :)

12. londonmidland

Initially when GWE arrives into TSW 2 it'll be in the same state as it was in TSW 1 if I'm correct. So no upgrades straight away. If and when the upgrade crew has time to work on GWE, we'll see what magic they can come up with.

13. InstaSim

InstaSim Member

Ye, but I heard Adam mentioning something about PIS displays which was quite exciting. I'm hoping it's something they will implement to GWE and East Coastway at some point though :)

14. londonmidland

It's something they *hope* to add to preserved content, so there's no guarantee of this happening as of yet.

The PIS itself is still evolving. The Bakerloo Line uses a 'first prototype' of it, so there's limited functionality of it, as expected. The latest upcoming German route has an upgraded version of this. Some 'housekeeping' improvements I heard Matt say on stream. Not sure what that means exactly.