Is It Snowing On Iow?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by breblimator, Oct 15, 2020.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Does this route serve all four seasons?
    Only spring/summer pictures everywhere. Does the route have fall and winter variations?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I always have my first runs in the nice weather that way you can see the route better! You can select snow though as you can with other routes, I don't often run in snow as I don't always find the snow textures so pleasing.

I might have a look tomorrow at it in the snow.

• Like Like x 1
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Peninsula + snow = impossible = so I am asking :) Before I will buy it, maybe. Is full weathering there available?

4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I don't have it but I don't see why it wouldn't. Though I don't think it would look as nice as that image you posted because IMO winter in TSW looks really naff (and always has).

• Like Like x 1
  5. theorganist

I just started explore on foot and set it to snow in winter and there was snow on the ground. It looked better than I can remember to be honest.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

For several hours no one answers me - I started looking for pictures of IOW on the Internet (winter), why isn't it snowing there? Peninsula Corridor doesn't have full weathering, hence my question. In the morning we were on the square round button stage - I'd rather be sure :D

7. Glazier

Glazier Member

Yes, it can snow :)
    20201016014213_1.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Thank You, all! I know, it is weird, but this is very important to me! Thank You! :)

9. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

It is snowing on IoW. The thing with Peninsula Corridor is that the temperatures there are set to a degree that snow only exists as rain. So on Peninsula it is too warm for snow hence there is no snow. On IoW there is snow.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. theorganist

11. theorganist

I didn't know it was that advanced, thanks, that is interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

In the stream today, Matt went to play a scenario that had snow. It started out all snow covered and actually melted while he was on the route. He told the guy from Rivet (who was unaware it seems) that one of the parameters for a route/scenario is temperature. So if the creator (Rivet) chooses winter and snow, but has the temperature above 0 degrees C, the snow will actually melt. So Rivet basically screwed that up and had the temperature too high in that scenario so within a couple minutes all the snow melted lol.

That's also why you cannot get snow on Penninsula Corridor, because the temperature is set to never be low enough to actually allow snow.

• Like Like x 3
  13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Supercool! This sometimes happens on other routes. It's like melting snow with rain. Good info! I did not know that.

14. theorganist

To be honest I doubt it snows that much on the Isle of Wight, being in one of the more temperate parts of the UK. I have a friend who moved from the Midlands to Devon 8 years ago and has barely seen a snow fall since and asks for photo's every time we have snow here, which isn't that often either!

15. Clumsy Pacer

Yeah the weather system is way more advanced than TS2021's could ever be. You can also see snow forming if you set it to snow without any snow on the ground. Similarly if you have it dry and have it rain, the ground gets wet.

I will say, IMO, TS2021's weather looks nicer.

16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

In Poland, where I live, snow was common in the past. Now it's an urban legend. Possibly in the mountains - still.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

It hasn't snowed in the Bay Area in almost 50 years.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mattdsoares

Exactly. That's why DTG set the route temps in winter to be too warm to snow. It's actually a pretty cool under the radar feature.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Clumsy Pacer

So if DTG are setting the temperatures per route, then why do UK routes in summer have their temperatures in the high 20s/low 30s, like it famously is all summer every year. Personally, I think the spring temperatures are more realistic.

20. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Nice to hear, there is some weather mechanic in the game at all. It would be nice to see the windows frozen.

21. mattdsoares

First, where did you see those were the temperatures in the summer on UK routes in TSW2? Second, how does that affect gameplay in any way? Do the passengers look more sweaty?

22. Clumsy Pacer

It doesn't affect gameplay at all, but idk, it does something for me in terms of immersion. Idk what it is (I often use spring since it basically looks identical).

23. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Another thing example of the weather system is that if you set it to rain and the weather gets cold enough it turns to snow. One example I found that works well is that on Sand Patch if you set a run late in the day during fall for a uphill climb. The temperature actually gets affected by both the altitude and time of day. For example I did all the coal services in those conditions, when I got near the coal hopper it started to snow, when I finished loading and returned it actually snowed for most of the way down the mountain until I was just outside of Cumberland.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  24. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

The silvery-blue color of snowy trees I passed as dusk approached on the Isle of Wight, was just lovely.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Clumsy Pacer

Neither does Bakerloo I've found - the winter temperatures are all set to 2-3 degrees C - even the ones where it's snowing. It renders as rain and the snow melts away. I really think it ought to have the ability to snow on Bakerloo. Patch notes DTG Protagonist ;)

26. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

Snow in London is pretty rare. If it snows there is normally a mad rush to the office windows with everyone going "Ooh! isn't it lovely" and then remembering that all the trains home will be late because no-one had prepared the railway for snow...
    It does snow on the Island but it is not as common as people think.
    meanwhile in TSW you can get this:
    TSW2_Coppo_1602883257_00.png

• Like Like x 3