PlayStation Ps4 Pro - Max Fans In Menu's? Why?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Maxrom, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Maxrom

Maxrom Active Member

I'm playing TSW2 on PS4 Pro. While driving, the console cooling fans are fairly quiet, but for some reason, when in the main menu, they go berserk. What's stressing the system so much in the menus, and can it be fixed? I have tried two PS4 Pro's and both have this issue.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Mine is the same. The menus cause much fan noise for no apparent reason. They should certainly be less demanding on the system than the routes themselves.

• Like Like x 3
  3. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Quite a few of my PS4 games speed the fans up when paused or in a menu. It's odd but there must be a reason for it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BigH

BigH Active Member

An explanation could be that developers in general limit the frame rate in the actual gameplay (e.g. max 30fps) but don´t bother in menus. So the cpu/gpu get´s the info "max framerate possible" and starts fireing on all cylinders.
    One developer stated once "it makes the cursor movement in the menu snappier"

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Maxrom

Maxrom Active Member

That would seem a reasonable explanation I guess. Of course, on PS4, mouse speed isn't a concern, so hopefully this is a simple thing that can be fixed. My PS4 is in the lounge, so if I'm having a sneaky train driving session using Remote Play, I get seriously busted when the fans go into turbo mode on the menu's and the other half notices. Come on DTG, this needs fixing as a service to humanity.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

Same on my PS4 Pro.

This is true, but the increased fan speed in TSW2 main menu does seem louder than anything else I recall having experienced with other titles.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...this is an interesting explanation, and this could be what’s actually happening. Personally, I think they should limit the frame-rate while in any menus (assuming they’re not doing this already)... I’d rather spend any heavy cpu cycles on the sim itself and not while displaying menus.

(DTG- any comments on this- unreasonably high cpu cycles while just viewing menus when the sim is paused? Is this an issue you already know about?)