Extend Hardware Input Support

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lombra, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

Hi,

I don't own the game yet (partly due to things like this), but as far as I understand you're limited to digital input and mouse interaction. As much as I love the concept of a fully interactive cabin, there really needs to be proper hardware input support for everything in addition to that.

Analog inputs wherever applicable, and preferably toggle switch support for things like headlights and whatever else you can flip on and off in trains.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Such as RailDriver!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Rail Driver isn't ideal for all locomotives. It's fine for the basic stuff, but some of the levers aren't right for certain modern engines, and doesn't support all the controls for a steam engine - not enough levers. So please DTG, add DirectX controller support to TSW.

I'm using a HOTAS Warthog Throttle (not using the joystick) and two Saitek Throttle Quadrants for Train Simulator 20xx (using Havner's TrainSim-Helper mod). It allows me to configure things to match specific locomotives, especially for steam locos. Such support, even in Train Simulator, is only through a community supported mod which could be broken with an update as has been the case many times in the past.

Please, it's time to add native DirectX controller support, not just Rail Driver which is limited and expensive. Many of us have hundreds of dollars invested in good flight sim gear which would be great for a train simulator. I have no interest in buying a Rail Driver which is limited, expensive, and useful for only one type of game. I would rather spend that money on DLC content for TSW as it becomes available. Hint hint DTG. :) As yet, though, I won't be buying TSW until DirectX controller support becomes available. Or at least if I know it's coming, I'm happy to buy TSW to support the effort.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

Indeed, I understand the RailDriver is popular, but I too am planning to use a flight throttle.

I have no experience with the Train Simulator games. Curious what the mod does? Bindings per loco?

5. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

The TrainSim-Helper mod (http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=361&t=139304) isn't necessarily easy to install, but it works. You configure it by editing a text file to map analog axis, and you have to manually copy a LUA script into the Assets folder for each locomotive you have. The process is very easy once you know what is what, but confusing at first. Also, note, TrainSim-Helper's original intent was to provide an information overlay in Train Simulator so you could turn off the F3/F4 HUD at the bottom of the screen for more realism.

TrainSim-Helper does not work with TSW. Only Train Simulator. Though if TSW mimics the Assets folder structure and functionality of TS, with minor mods TrainSim-Helper may work for TSW. No such plan is in the works as best I know.

There is no GUI for setup, and it only allows you to map analog axis to the specific controls in TS (e.g. throttle, dynamic brake, train brake, reverser, etc.). But it does not handle buttons (i.e. you can't map a joystick button to blow the horn). For that, it is best to use what ever keyboard mapping software that came with your game controller (TARGET for Thrustmaster, Saitek's programming software for Saitek/Logitech controllers, etc.), or there are several aftermarket game controller to keyboard mapping programs available.

It is on the TSW todo list to add RailDriver support I believe. I believe RailDriver is a DirectX device (with extra support for special features of course). If DTG would add DirectX support, then all game controllers would work, not just the RailDriver. The RailDriver is nice for some engines, but not ideal for all (assuming DTG adds a wider variety of engines to TSW some day). Also, it's a big item which I don't have space for, and it performs generally the same functionality of other devices I already own. It is very frustrating that DTG does not support these more generic controllers (in Train Simulator or TSW).

6. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

There is another mod for Train Simulator that adds both RailDriver and joystick support to TS20xx by CobraOne called "TS2017 Raildriver and Joystick Interface". It works with TS2018 also. This is the better tool to use as it supersedes TrainSim-Helper (has the same functionality and Havner and CobraOne have collaborated on this stuff for some time). But the RailDriver and Joystick Interface also supports the RailDriver directly. No need to use the RailDriver software, which has less functionality than CobraOne's mod. Plus it has a GUI and supports mapping joystick buttons whereas TrainSim-Helper does not. See the details here: http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=361&t=139830&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Sorry to cloud this topic with talk about mods for Train Simulator, but it is important to point out that even the RailDriver's default software does not work 100% with all the engines in Train Simulator (due to Virtual controls on certain engines, and variations in the number of notches for different controls from one engine to the next). It takes CobraOne's mod to fix these issues for the RailDriver.

Furthermore, If TSW uses a similar Assets directory structure including the engine and input control scripts, then it is possible with minor updates that CobraOne's RailDriver and Joystick Interface, or TrainSim-Helper can be made to work with TSW. Maybe the best course of action is for DTG to contact CobraOne and Havner to see if they would be willing to help integrate their software directly into TSW. Or it is all open source, so DTG could use it as a model for achieve the task.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 98abaile

98abaile New Member

Yeah, would like to see DirectX support with analogue axis support. I've got plenty of flight sim gear and with a 3D printer I'd quite like to build my own custom controllers. I don't want to shell out lots of money on an even more limited use (and large) expensive peripheral.

8. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

I finally got TSW and I see that it has an entirely different file structure than Train Simulator. So likely any chance of making the game controller mods for TS work for TSW is unlikely.

So I bit the bullet and used Axis to Key mapping for my game controllers (Warthog Throttle and Saitek Throttle Quadrant). For the Auto and Local brake, it's not so bad to use the Saitek programming tool to press one key when the lever is moved up, and another when it is moved down. Due to the notches on the locomotive throttle and dynamic brakes, however, as well as some engines having combined throttle/brake levers, simple "UP Key" and "Down Key" mapping doesn't work. It took the C language programability of TARGET for the Warthog to get it to work - the most complex TARGET script I've had to write. The end result works well, but still not well enough. If TSW directly supported analog axes, it would work perfectly and without spending days writing custom config scripts.

I'll post what I did in an appropriate place on the DTG forums in a few days after I document it.

My point is, though there are ways using VJoy, Saitek tools, TARGET, etc. to make this work, it is not easy to get it to work well. So DTG, please put Analog Axis DirectX controls on your list as features to add.

And, again regarding Rail Driver - even Rail Driver has this problem of not handling different kinds of throttle/dynamic brake levers very well - the combined throttle/brake levers, for example. That's why CobraOne created "TS2017 Raildriver and Joystick Interface" for TS - to replace the stock Raildriver software which doesn't do it right, with something that is customizable on a per engine basis and hence works. TSW needs the same thing - and the best way to handle that is the TSW dev's do it when they create the engines in the first place.

Not complaining. TSW is great and I'm very happy I bought it.