Xbx Performance

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rage607, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Rage607

Rage607 Member

hello,

since wsr is now released as part of the preserved collection, I think I am ready to buy TSW2.
    How is the performance on the One X?
    Are there options for the graphics (4k on/off, quality yes/no) and how do they have an impact on performance?
    How is the draw distance and fps compared to 2020?

2. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Wait just for 2 weeks and buy an X Series, no?
    Yes the Xbox One X run at 4k and has also the TSW2 ingame option to switch between 4K and HD (1080p).
    But your best choice for TSW2 will be to take directely a nextgen console. Cause TSW2 isn't Halo or Forza (exclusive and optimized product built for console). TSW Series is built for PC and has also high hardware request to be played decently.
    So, ok the console, but at least an Xbox X Series, especially to have the best experience with the future routes (not exactly 1 single and simple track like the WSR, try to read around about München-Augsburg on console to have an idea).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rage607

Rage607 Member

I wanted to know about TSW2 on the one x because I already own it ( the one x) and some preserved routes. I do plan to buy a series x. But not because of one game.
    I think there might be some miscommunication happening. :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. rhysrobinson336

rhysrobinson336 Member

I have just recently bought myself an Xbox one x and traded in my Xbox one s and the performance is a lot better. When you set in game settings to HD instead Of 4K you get a better performance than 4K rendering but not as good as 4K for graphics. With graphics settings set to 4K on the one x from my experience so far there is not much difference in performance between both settings although 4K has a better, more realistic look. The draw distance and FPS when I had the one s is a lot better than TSW 2020 and smoother.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I use the HD setting too on Xbox One X because 4K feels slow. Moving the camera when you walk around in 4K isn't as smooth as playing in HD. I actually opt for HD if the game supports this. Plus the fans don't get very loud.

6. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

Also running one X, and can echo what others have already said.

7. Rage607

Rage607 Member

sounds cool. Thank you very much for the infos.

8. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

Is it just me that thinks that having a console called Onex followed by a console called seriesx is just plain daft....

• Like Like x 1
  9. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Gamestop values the One X 250euro/dollars if we take the X Series.

10. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Performance improvements from TSW2020 to TSW2 on X1X is negligable as well as preserved collection routes being pretty much unchanged from their original condition, but what really improves things immensely are the options to turn off motion blur (wheels look like wheels and close up visuals are more defined) as well as the addition of 4K mode to sharpen up the overall visual quality. Scenery pop up, shadow/render draw distances and lighting quality are also pretty much unchanged. But these points were all mentioned (and seen) on early streams so even though there was an element of disappointment towards certain aspects of non-improvement we all knew what we were getting beforehand.

4K mode seems to (mostly) vary between 25-35fps with this mode's downsides being more frequent stuttering and a very noisy console fan whereas HD mode resorts back to TSW2020 visuals at around 50fps but with an ultra silent console. East Coastway has a tendancy to CTD or occasionally shut down the console under heavy load in 4k but that's the only route i've had issues with.

The three TSW2 routes for me are a bit take it or leave it. Sand Patch looks real nice but I get some serious framerate drops when panning around outside the cab and it kind of spoils the immersion; the ICE high speed route is great for the first few trips but gets boring pretty quickly and Bakerloo just isn't my cup of tea. For me though it's all about the ability to replay preserved collection routes (of which I have seven plus two still to come) in 4K - and that I have had absolutely no problems doing for the vast majority of the 7500 miles already invested in the game. Yup, I've even driven the BR146.2 the required number kilometers for the achievement :)

For the more creative minded there's a livery editor (not my thing) and the scenario creator where you can assign multiple trains with their own timetables onto any route and then choose to drive any one of them. It's a bit fiddly fathoming out the routes + train lengths to your start platforms and you can't mix and match cargo but once it's all fathomed you can create pretty much any scenario you like and it can act as a welcome diversion from the default stuff.

All things considered, if you have preserved collection routes (the more the merrier) to carry forward then the ability to change those two visual settings alone is gamechanging enough to warrant a purchase of TSW2, but on the other hand if you're in primarily for the five new routes currently available then I'd probably advise against it because I just don't think any of them are particularly good. In an ideal world there would be a free TSW2 with no routes included.

One final note to developer: Would it be at all possible to add a "motion blur fixed on/fixed off" option into the pause menu settings?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2020
  11. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure if TSW 2020 ran at 1080p full hd on the xbox. Looked more like something between 720p and 900p. I think even HD on TSW 2 looks sharper. One the X anyway.

12. Rage607

Rage607 Member

Nice. The preserved collection is what I am mostly interested in, too.
    I will give sand patch grade a look but the only other route I might buy would be isle of Wight.
    I am mostly into the "old" British stuff.

Well then HD it is :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with you on this one. The difference between TSW 2020 and TSW 2 is quite large on the Xbox One X in my opinion. I invested in a SSD and USB caddy, and you can really notice the difference in smoothness of loading, draw distance etc (for the better).

There's a lot more polish so to speak and the game DOES look better whether in HD or 4K mode. You're pretty much getting a solid 4K 30 fps experience with the occasional drop to about 23-25fps.

Play WSR on TSW 2020 you'd get about 15-30 fps along the route, where as on X1X with TSW 2, you're pushing a locked 30 fps, with 4K textures and a lot more polish.

Not personally had East Coastway crash to desktop on me in 4K mode, and again my fan isn't overly noisy apart from in the main route selection screen. What's your airflow to the console like? Do you have a lot of dust in the vents? Is your hard disk full?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  14. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Well I was just confirming from my experience of TSW that what the devs were initially saying regarding performance and quality enhancement was a fair and accurate description of what we all got. They also stated that preserved content was migrating into TSW2 untouched and if you look close enough it is quite obvious to see that it's only the 4K enhancement that's hiding what we all saw in TSW2020. Shadow draw distances are still super low, detail rendering is still occuring a few sleepers in front of the train and far detail (trees / buildings etc) still pop up in exactly the same way as they always have done.
    If you really want to see the overall performance of TSW2 then take an outbound trip from Koln and look at the white trackside walls a few miles into the 155mph stint. What you will see is a two tone black line showing the shadow draw distance as well as the rendering distance and if you pan the camera out to max height you can also see the limits of the track draw distances as well as the point buildings just disappear or objects simply disolve out of existence. It doesn't matter if you're travelling 20mph or 120mph in 4K or HD, it's exactly the same wherever you happen to be in the world - including WSR. Yes, there is 4K...but there definately is no other added polish.

My X1X has recently been fitted with a replacement blu-ray drive and was given a spring clean at the same time so it's definately not a dust issue and TSW2 is on a 2tb external SSD with around 400gb of other stuff. Besides, TSW has always been processor intense so a noisy fan is part and parcel of playing it....but for some reason my console just doesn't like East Coastway.

Anyhows, my original point wasn't to knock TSW2 because as I said, with 4K visual enhancements as well as the ability to turn off the dumb motion blur alone this represents a more than justifiable reason to upgrade the core game for the preserved stuff. If you play in cabin view (as I do) then it doesn't really matter if what's outside the window is unchanged (you can hide that by changing the weather), it's the fact that everything inside the window is now shiny and blur-o-vision free....and that makes a big, big difference in the immersion department.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2020