Route Proposal: Sierra Railroad

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Blacknred81, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So one railroad that could make a good addition to TS2020, would be the Sierra Railroad. It was founded in 1897, and connects from Oakdale to Jamestown California.
    [​IMG]

The railroad interchanged with both the ATSF and SP railroads in Oakdale (Though the SP branch line was abandoned in 1986 and removed in 1990, and the BNSF line to Riverbank was bought out by the Sierra Northern in 2008).

The route itself would cover the mainline between Oakdale and Jamestown, as well as the 2 branch lines between Jamestown and Angles camp, and Jamestown and Tuolumne & Sonora.
    [​IMG]

The Angles Branch would be very unique due to the amount of switchbacks used along the route, as well as the unique rolling stock used to navigate such tight radius curves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The route itself is still used in service by the Sierra Northern Railroad, and the original Jamestown Roundhouse and Freight Depot are still in used as part of Railtown 1897.

Proposed Locomotives:

-Sierra Railroad #3 (Rogers 4-6-0)
    Probably the most famous of all of Sierra's locomotive is #3, AKA the movie star locomotive, this locomotive has starred in more movies than any other locomotive. Though she was pulled out of regular service in 1932, and sat idle for 15 years.
    [​IMG]

-Sierra #9 (Heisler 2-Truck) #10,#11 (Lima Shay 2-Truck) #12 (Lima Shay 3-Truck) or #30 (Baldwin 2-6-2)
    All of these locomotives saw time on the Angels branch so either one could be included for use on the said line.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Sierra Railroad #18 (Baldwin 2-8-0)
    One of the few locomotives that was still at the Sierra Railway after they dieselized in 1955
    [​IMG]
    -Sierra Railroad #28 (Baldwin 2-8-0)

Built in 1922 to help with increased freight traffic due to dam work in the area, still exists at Jamestown today and was just recently brought back into service after a 5 year restoration, pull my excursion train when I visited Jamestown back in July.
    [​IMG]
    -SIerra Railroad #34 (Baldwin 2-8-2)

Another locomotive that was still on hand after WWII and post 1955 Dieselization. Still at the Roundhouse today.
    [​IMG]
    -Sierra Railroad #38 (Baldwin 2-6-6-2)

Sierra's only Articulated Locomotive.
    [​IMG]

The routes scenarios could included various day to day operations from pre WWII on the mainline, runs on the Branch Lines, Post 1955 excursions, as well as special scenarios depicting movie productions.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

The Sierra Railroad would definitely make for a fun route for Train Simulator! All of their locomotives are so unique. I really hope someone decides to make this!

• Like Like x 2
  3. treid09

treid09 Guest

I would love to see this.

• Like Like x 4
  4. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

I second that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

It's been a while since DTG made a steam-era route. This one needs to be done.

• Like Like x 3
  6. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Great route idea Blacknred81, didn't realise how many films No.3 had been in, why do you like this route? and what scenarios would you include?

7. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Well for 1 its not far from me being only about a 2hr drive from where I live, it was where I first saw a steam locomotive in real life (Thanks to Sierra #28) not to mention a majority of the mainline is still there and is used by both the Sierra Northern Railroad, and Railtown 1897,and a good amount of Sierras equipment is preserved so it seemed like a good route for one to make.

As far as scenarios are concerned, maybe 1-5 focused on normal operations on the line in the early 1900's, 1-2 scenarios focused on Movie Productions, And maybe about 1-3 based on Excursions from the post 1955 era.

• Like Like x 3
  8. corbinator1997

corbinator1997 New Member

I've been slowly building this route. Very fun to run on.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  9. corbinator1997

corbinator1997 New Member

Still plugging away on this project.
    With Machine Rail's Rogers 4-6-0 out now it gives me hope for things in the future. Maybe I need to start learning 3D modeling and implementation for TS?

Another thing that could be modeled in a set of scenarios are the dam projects the railroad was involved in during the mid 20's.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1