Extended Lines

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by david-bright184169, Oct 30, 2020.

1. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

What are the problems associated with extending routes?
    Is it to do with file size or memory restrictions?
    I have noticed the length of routes that I own only extend to about 30 miles (as the crow flies) but on Sand Patch
    for instance after going round all the twists and turns the travelled distance is around 50 miles.
    So is the limit a case of the total area that can be covered in square miles, or are the routes developed in a linear way?
    I would pay good money to start at Paddington and drive to Bristol Parkway and beyond.

• Like Like x 3
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

DTG just don't want to extend routes because they want to make new dlcs riddled with bugs before extending routes. Also dtg have a set timeline on when something needs to be finished so they wouldn't have time to make like a 120 mile route. Maybe one day in the future hopefully

• Like Like x 1
  3. muham.a.423

muham.a.423 Active Member

One of the main things I want to be added into TSW 2. I want longer British routes that are interconnected so there are multiple trains/liveries on one route.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ras

Ras Member

Would it be hard to make a long route which is 40 miles in length and at the last station or Red signal the game would load the next 40 mile section, maybe it could be done using two or three timetables in one direction and the same In reverse ECML from kings cross.

5. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

The game already sort of does this, it loads tiles as you go along, instead of loading the whole route all at once. This means it's less memory intensive as only a small area is present at once.

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Route extensions are a popular topic on the forum but a lot of suggestions aren’t realistic. Some people post suggestions for a route extension that is three times as long as the original route. That’s never going to happen. But even with shorter extensions there is just one answer. Variety.

So far in the TSW collection there are only a small variety of routes and there is a lot of different ground yet to cover. New routes are a better prospect for everyone than extending current routes for the small number of people who would buy the extensions.

If you look at the current total number of USA routes you will see a very limited choice of routes. Calls to extend LIRR are a staple suggestion on the forums but making that would be at the expense of making a different USA route. That does nothing to increase the choice or variety of US routes. If DTG were doing that, you would still have just LIRR, Pen Corridor, and Sand Patch to choose from in TSW2. Not much choice there. Then people want Pen Corridor extending to Gilroy. There’s another potential US route out of the window and still only a choice of three routes total. Doesn’t look good does it?

Luckily DTG are going down the route they have chosen and there will soon be a bigger selection of US routes for all players to enjoy, instead of an ever growing LIRR network for the few that like that particular route and a slightly different Pen Corridor. It looks a lot better now with what’s coming instead, I think you will agree. Variety and choice, that’s the reason there are no extensions.

7. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but LIRR sure needs at least one extension, as a person who's familiar with the daily commute, the LIRR DLC is totally incomplete..Hicksville is not the best terminal in the game...now I'm not SAYING go as far as all the way to damn near Montauk cause that cause problems but I rather had LIRR at least extended to POSSIBLY Farmingdale or even Huntington...and also that Short run to and from Woodisde via Port Washington Branch shouldve at least extended to possibly Great Neck at least. To me that's not much a non realistic long extension...LIRR DLC still feels dry, with still same boring services(for a route that's considered one of busiest railroad in US).....Do I mind other new US Dlcs yea but LIRR still needs work...and also there are ppl requesting extensions STILL for GWE and East Coastway..even some German routes look like they need a lil bit of a route extension.

• Like Like x 2
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The first post in this thread asked what the problems were with extending routes. I’ve posted the problem in detail and it also happens to be what DTG are doing. I’ll reply also to your post.

You’ve posted why you think that LIRR needs an extension but it strengthens the point about variety. What doesn’t get made to allow time for your LIRR extension to please a small number of players? You want an extension to LIRR, some other people want an extension to GWE, some others want Pen Corridor and some more want East Coastway. Four extensions take up the development time of four new routes.

Regardless of whether those routes would be better with extensions, which four of the other routes should not have been made while these extensions were (because these suggestions are nothing new), and would the game having four fewer routes be better for everyone or only the few who want those extensions? You won’t be able to come up with a list of four routes that are currently in the game that shouldn’t be there that will make the argument for extensions any stronger. BTW you can’t put Isle of Wight in your list because that’s not DTG.

9. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

I completely understand how u broke it down and I get it.. I was replying to a quote u said how ppl requesting route suggestions that are unrealistic and three times as long..Granted its TOUGH to make a long route for TSW and all, I'm jus trying to as a fan that I dont mind a little extension of LIRR(hence saying not even to Montauk) or even other dlcs as well...I am grateful for most dlcs that are being released(which I finally brought tsw2 recently but havent played much)...again I'm not taking away that "variety" is part of this..I jus HOPE one day we start to see extensions on released dlcs...now again I know I vouch for LIRR I jus wish the DLC had a little bit of an extension jus past Hicksville..but I jus hope maybe one day down the road mao if there be a possible extension on a dlc.

Btw this is not a dig or a rant at you..I'm jus expressing as a fan who enjoys this game!!the only is we will see..I still understand how u answer the person's question regarding this!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Do not know DTG has plans to extend the line? Developing new routes and selling them all the time?

Can multiplayer have time to plan online?