Flags And The Obsessive-compulsive Disorder In Pedants

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by breblimator, Nov 5, 2020.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Yyy, but, why? :D

obraz_2020-11-05_173123.png

• Like Like x 6
  2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

That irritates me too, not sure why as it is probably irrational! It is the same in TS1 for the routes menu, where you get a nice screen shot in the menu for some routes but others are blank.

Same in Football Manager where some of the players have photo's and others have a generic picture, obviously due to licencing. I would just prefer a generic picture, keep it all uniform.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I heard that the flags will be added for preserved collection routes as and when they receive an update. Otherwise you'd have to update all of the routes in one go.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Averrnor

Averrnor Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

This is what was said by the devs. Changing the layout to have the flags appear would mean for consoles to download the complete DLC again, so they tied it to updates done on that route, which I think is a very mindful way.

• Like Like x 3
  6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The point is, they added flags today (RSN eg) but not for everything. It shocks me.
    HRR? RT? But why? :( Yeah, Ain't no update for these routes. Yeah :)
    PS I stomp now in anger :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  7. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

You are going to love this, :D . . . the updated legacy route GWE was released today and it has the appropriate Union Jack!

Screenshot.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  9. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Look breb, preserved collection is only missing the train DLC for NTP and as soon as that is out, if DTG delivers on what they said, we will see more fixes for all the routes. So going by that it won't be long until your flag collection will finally be done!

• Like Like x 2
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Thank you, all. You reassured me a bit. I'll turn on the lights in the carriages for the passengers and slow it down a bit. It's not their fault, after all :)
    Do you have non-German DLCs installed? Heresy!

11. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

The Great Western Railroad was the creation of Isambard Kingdom Brunel, perhaps the greatest engineer of the 19th century. As an engineer, I feel professionally obliged to spend some time on the railroad Brunel created. That's Brunel wearing the cool hat there on the left. Oh, and Brunel also designed the magnificent Paddington Station.

I run without the HUDs and my first trip on the GWE was a real pig's breakfast after driving only German trains for the past ten weeks -- signals on the 'wrong' side of the tracks, imperial measurements instead of metric, noisy diesel trains . . . this will take some getting used to, but the Great Western was the first route I drove in TSW1, so I'm glad to see it's back!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  12. breblimator

breblimator Guest

We conditionally allow these tracks to be used. There are reasons...

1.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

just install some flags mod problem solved

• Like Like x 1
  14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I think the man in the impossibly tall hat might have had something to say if he heard you refer to his railway as a railroad.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

I think the whole route selection needs a redesign. Having an unordered list can work when you have 3 routes, but not the numbers we already have, not to mention all the routes we will get in the comming years.
    I think a grid view (as we have in the classic TS) would work much better.

• Like Like x 7
  16. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with Winzarten on this. We are heading for a right mess if they continue adding routes as they do now. Although, it would be more sensible to group the routes by flag and have them appear as dropdown selectable items rather than filling the screen... Then all you would need to do is select a flag and then pick a route..

• Like Like x 4
  18. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

God they finally found the dropdown menu to add the flags.

"We do not add the flags to make preserved content distinguishable from new one" Cit.

19. theorganist

They have added them to the preserved collection though! They just missed some out.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think even the TSW1 route selection screen was better than TSW2. At least TSW1 had a little thumbnail for each route, and an image is much more easily to recognize than a bunch of text.

Good old Train Simulator had such thumbnails, and allowed for more routes to be shown in one screen, as well as offering several filtering options and a search box.

It always amazed me how developers change things that weren't broken. The Train Simulator menu was fine, there was no need to reinvent the wheel and come with something which is worse than what we already had. The same also applies to some other things that TS did right, like the HUD and the T-keybind...

• Like Like x 3
  21. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I have to disagree somewhat. I think the TSW route menu is better and cleaner than TS, which I always found rather cumbersome. Sure, there are a few more clicks to get to a scenario list, but the loading time is much faster. At least for me, it can take forever to load a scenario in TS, TSW is much better. As for flags? Not a big deal. Alphabetical will be nice when it comes.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Winzarten

It's not about the clicks, it's about the unused screen estate and the requiremet to scroll down via an unsorted list, without even a base search-by-name functionality. I've 50+ routes on the TS classic, and I cannot imagine having the same amount of routes in the current route selection system in TSW.

The whole UI is very crude

• Like Like x 3
  23. theorganist

The TS1 menu is poor. If you have lots of routes and are trying to find a particular route to view the scenarios then it is very cumbersome and looks untidy and scrolling down means you can easily miss a route. I am surprised they haven't overhauled it with one of their yearly updates.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Ah right, I forgot the Scenario tabs in Train Simulator. Thanks for the reminder. I should've been more specific. :P

I was referring to the Quick Drive tab in Train Simulator. I think that's a pretty good menu.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Winzarten

I don't get what's wrong with the scenario tab in the old TS? You can easily filter scenarios by route, or by loco, or by both. With the ability to also filter both routes and locos by name.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I think once more routes are added, they are going to need to add a way to filter routes...it is quite cumbersome with all the routes just lumped together in a single list with no way to organise them. This issue is only going to get worse as more content is released...

• Like Like x 6
  27. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

The route list seems a low priority since it's easy to scroll and there are a lot of more pressing problems that cause operational issues.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Sure there are more pressing issues....but there is nothing wrong with QoL improvements being implemented along the way

• Like Like x 3
  29. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

At least let me define in which order the list or thumbs are arranged, so my Top10 would always be ... the first 10 :)
    And yeah, the unused space makes me a little sad.

But I think a drop-down will not work well with gamepad input so we won't get complex UIs anywhere ...

• Like Like x 1
  30. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

I'd like to also see Most recently played, as a sort option, so I can get back to where I left off.

... and flags! ;)

• Like Like x 5
  31. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

That's a great idea, I'd like to see that. Would be very useful as I play certain routes a lot. Some routes I barely play would stay at the bottom, so that wouldn't be a problem. If I would like to play them, I could scroll down anyway ;)

• Like Like x 2