Train Sim World 2 On Xbox Series X [video]

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dreampage, Nov 5, 2020.

1. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

Hello fellow train drivers,

As a gaming journalist / blogger I had the chance to participate in Microsoft's Xbox Series X review process, which means I could play, among a lot of other things, Train Sim World 2 on the new console. I thought I'd share you some impressions, as well as a video.

Firstly: Loading times have improved. Loading a route takes around 9-10 seconds, not more.

Secondly: TSW 2 gets a huge performance boost on Series X. Even in 4K mode, the game runs at a near perfect 60 fps! There is very little hitching, mostly around the big train stations, but nowhere else. Remember that constant stutter that's probably caused by the game regularly loading in the next section of the route? Due to the fast SSD in the Series X, that's mostly gone, too. Overall the game is super smooth, and looks absolutely fantastic in 4K mode. HD (1080p) mode is even better performance-wise, but I don't ever feel the need to use it, as the game is nigh-perfect in 4K, and picture quality is much better this way.

Here's a video: the game is running in 4K mode here. (Note: The video capture is 1080p only.) I took a short video within the station and then during the route itself. This is how smoothly the game runs on all routes:

It is a transformative experience! After the constant stuttering and inconsistent 30-40 fps on Xbox One X, the Series X just powers through this game, even without any optimization from the developers done. It's wonderful! If you want to play this sim in the best quality then I can only recommend the Series X.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 33
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  2. maz_62

maz_62 Active Member

Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait for Tuesday. It would be even better if there was a way to extend the shadow threshold on the new consoles, which still pops up just in front of the cab, recognising that this is obviously deliberate to enable performance in the older machines.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tornado

tornado New Member

Thanks for that info it was very informative, I am also looking forward to being able to order the Series X here in the UK.

4. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Omg i want a series X so badly. Just haven't been able to snag one yet.

• Like Like x 3
  5. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

can you do a munchen augsburg review??

6. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. Patrick Kolinski

Patrick Kolinski Active Member

8. dreampage

I don't have that route unfortunately. But any route I play runs like this, some even better. I just played the newly preserved GWE route and after playing it last on Xbox One X, I was simply astonished. It's super smooth in 4K mode, even while in London Paddington station, which I clearly remember how badly struggles on the older console. It's just a joy to drive, watch trains come and go so smoothly, all with the higher better textures and sharper image quality. I'm sure München-Augsburg runs similarly.

9. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

I wonder how the series S performs

• Like Like x 1
  10. dreampage

I expect it to perform similarly or even the same as the X, only at 1080p resolution because the S version of the game doesn't offer a 4K mode. Given the specs of the Series S, HD 60 fps shouldn't be a problem.

11. jasonpfc

I hope so, ill find out tuesday morning

12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Smooooth.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Looks great! FINALLY I can get my 'next gen' experience of 60 fps (something I thought the Xbox One was capable of).

My only concern is that I see screen-tearing and some frame-hitches, but this may be do to my old MacBook. Does anyone else see this, or is it me?

14. dreampage

It's not only you, the game does stutter a little here and there, it's not absolutely perfect. But I can more than live with so little performance issues now. I'm sure data streaming still causes some drops as well as busy areas. But bear in mind this is the 4K mode, whereas the One X struggled everywhere even in 1080p. Playing this sim now is pure joy, I can't help but smile seeing that smoothness as I travel. Those small hitches are not at all distracting anymore, at least for me. If the developers optimize the game for the new consoles in the future, it may get even better. This is such a whole different level now, it's crazy.

15. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I can't wait to get a PS5.

• Like Like x 2
  16. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

The draw and Objects loading are the Same on the Series X as on One X before.
    Dtg need to optimize the entire game to get PC Horsepower

• Like Like x 4
  17. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

I think you're optimistic about DTG optimizing the game for the new consoles, on past performance if they do they will certainly screw something else up

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. jasonpfc

Playing series S today, solid 60 fps on every route, on dip for split second here and there.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Just happy it loads in about 10 seconds and is 60fps with no slowdown! Draw distance and pop in still there, but can filter that out and enjoying the smoothness.

20. Stefan Kraus

Stefan Kraus New Member

looks very good on Series X

21. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

It's lovely to see how well it runs on the new console and I really appreciate the video and detailed review, I'm glad you are enjoying it. Definitely peeked my curiosity to see how the PS5 performs as well now.

• Like Like x 2
  22. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

So give us back all München Augsburg layers like on PC available

23. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Unfortunately I can't promise you that. Although the game appears to perform very well on the more powerful consoles we can't forget about our players who don't have one yet and would suffer as a result.

• Like Like x 2
  24. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

We need a optimizing version for the new Consoles like Forza Horizon 4 did to have the PC version with the Power and Graphics and Not the old Xbox One Version with all the issues.

Also we Need a Option to set the Motion Blur off, because it’s really Buggy.

• Like Like x 4
  25. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

Control F2 will toggle motion blur. Until it's added in menu options.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Thanks that’s a good point I for one don’t have hundreds for new hard ware so having to make do with my Xbox one S digital

• Like Like x 1
  27. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Wow! This is fantastic news! Definitely one of the biggest questions going into this new console generation for TSW2 owners is whether or not TSW2 would take advantage of the increase in power and it looks like they have! A solid 60FPS on console compared to the 20-40FPS is a big difference and it finally feels like consoles are on par with PC and I will assume we can expect the same performance increase on PS5 as well! Thank you for sharing this info!

• Like Like x 1
  28. maz_62

maz_62 Active Member

Seeing great improvement around Munich on my Series X compared to the old original S. I don’t agree with limiting of a route because there are older consoles that can’t cope as you are not following that logic with PC releases. Technology marches on as should your product. I recognise that you need to be able to sell volume however I don’t understand why you can’t just enable the more graphically demanding routes for the new consoles in software so everyone is happy.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

The simple reason for this as Matt peddles don rightly pointed out in a live stream tsw2 is not having a version created solely just for new consoles that’s why

• Like Like x 1
  30. maz_62

maz_62 Active Member

Totally get that as they need as larger user base as possible to ensure sales however in this case, the detail is, or was, already there and going forward always will be as the PC versions are including it. What is needed something that enables it when a console can handle it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Seeing the MegaSim Xbox Series X video and how the load times are almost instant and how smoothly everything runs I really can wait to get my PS5. Still not been able to order one though.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

Great footage. Now really looking forward to getting my PS5 next week. If Amazon fail me, there is going to be hell to pay

• Like Like x 1
  33. Deltic00

Deltic00 Active Member

Because its not fair on those who can’t afford next gen yet.
    Also updating the core software so that its more demanding and higher performance for next gen would make the consoles it was intended to run on unable to run it, this then becomes a trading/legal issue when PS4/xbox one users update the game to find out the product they paid for no longer works on the system they bought it for. Its unlikely TSW2 will get any updates that are orientated towards next gen.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I’d like to suggest that DTG consider adding sim control settings (i.e. draw distance, frame rate control, scenery control, etc) to the user interface in the console versions of TSW 2- so that console folks have the same level of sim control that PC users now enjoy by tweaking .ini files, etc. Let console users decide what the sim settings should be on their individual Xbox or PS4/PS5 systems. DTG could then just develop a single version of TSW 2 (for example) for all Xbox’s, and another version for the PlayStation 4 and 5- instead of developing multiple vers of the sim for the PS4 vs. the PS5, etc.

Is this idea being talked about at all on the DTG side? Has this idea already been submitted as far as you know? If not, I’ll be glad to submit this.

(UPDATE- I submitted this idea to DTG via the Suggestions forum a week or so back... not sure anyone at DTG has responded to this yet)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  35. Retrovertigo

Retrovertigo Member

Yeah have to agree. This is sooooo much better now. The icing on the cake would be DTG doing some optimizations to draw distance, filtering on the track detail. Just the small things now as the consoles are clearly capable of running this really well now.

• Like Like x 4
  36. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

TSW2020 also benefits from the sheer grunt of the Xbox Series X, turning in a far smoother framerate performance than on previous gen hardware.

• Like Like x 2
  37. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

https://www.pcgamer.com/on-paper-th...es-x-is-faster-than-a-geforce-rtx-2080-super/

Time to open the TSW2 tap on Xbox Series X version?

12Teraflops, 16GB ram, 3.8Ghz cpu and 1TB SSD are enough to run like a modern pc gaming. Not the best, but an high specs pc for sure.

If interested, searching for MegaSim on Youtube. He tested the new routes (showing the fps on screen) on new Series X. With just the double amount of fps than the old PS4 Pro.

Köln-Aachen (full run with fps on display) on new Series X

München-Augsburg on Series X

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. drdavewatford

drdavewatford Active Member

In the absence of optimised versions of TSW 2 for next generation consoles I'd echo the call for user customisable graphics settings (which are standard on PC, after all). Please let us take full advantage of our new hardware!

Although even without an optimised version TSW 2 does run better on the Series X than it did on my XBOX One X - I'm loving the shorter load times and better performance.

• Like Like x 2
  39. dreampage

Personally I would only like to disable motion blur (no, I don't have a keyboard to connect to the console, nor would I want to use one), the rest I'm perfectly satisfied with.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Tom C

Tom C New Member

I saw the Xbox Series X unboxed on the Gadget Show this week and I have been wondering whether to upgrade from my Xbox One.

I think watching your video is enough to convince me to upgrade.

41. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

On PC version they got 12 different trains (passenger and freight services and a realistic busy line) along Munchen-Augsburg route foe about +100 timetable services (427 in total). On console version we got only the ICE3 and the BR423 and the last 30km in direction of Augsburg only the ICE.

42. BigH

BigH Active Member

So people with new consoles have to suffer instead? Why don´t you make PC Players suffer too?

Owners of "old" consoles are aware of the limitations and probably understand that they get get a, somehow, "limited" version. Just look around at all the enhanced versions of games for new consoles. Even brand new games coming for "old" and "new" with different features. I really don´t understand DTGs stand on this, sorry.

43. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Give them a chance. The new consoles are only just out and people are banging on DTG’s gates with pitchforks in hand. They don’t have to give the new console players anything because the product is for the old ones. They will upgrade at some point but not at the behest of an angry mob playing the victims. Nobody is suffering, unless you mean suffering from impatience.

44. joulz75

joulz75 Active Member

So why not give us the possibility to add manually the layers that each one wants to pick ? Flexibility would be the key...

45. drdavewatford

drdavewatford Active Member

I don't see anybody "playing the victim" or "banging on DTG’s gates with pitchforks in hand". It's not unreasonable to ask DTG to optimise the game for new consoles, in the same way that DTG allows owners of faster PCs to get the most from their hardware.

While embracing the new generation of consoles would clearly have resource implications for DTG, it would also allow them to offer additional routes and assets via DLC which it already offers to PC owners, thus potentially more than paying for itself.

• Like Like x 1
  46. maz_62

maz_62 Active Member

The fact that over a million series x and s consoles have already shipped should be reason enough to ensure that DTG products are optimised.

• Like Like x 4
  47. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Here's a "cab ride" on the GWML from Reading to Paddington that I did last night.

• Like Like x 1
  48. BigH

BigH Active Member

I´m not suffering at all and i´m not swinging pitchforks. I just quoted an official post and tried to express my disbelief about the reason given for not using the new opportunities. Sorry if this didn´t come across. English is not my first language.

• Like Like x 2
  49. maz_62

maz_62 Active Member

Don’t think its been mentioned yet but I’ve just noticed today that TSW2 makes use of Auto HDR on Series X which is good.

upload_2020-11-16_18-27-3.jpeg

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  50. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I dont think anyones asking for a new console game that excludes current old gen. just a settings slider as the PC has.
    Theres a London landmark fix being touted on the roadmap. New consoles dont need this and having a fix like this would then split console from PC. Even the consoles that are up to spec for what DTG would like to do. Surely that cannot happen.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1