Tsw2 Crashing To Desktop On Pc Anyone Else ?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Artful, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Artful

Artful Member

Hi All,

Has anyone found that TSW2 has started crashing to crash report today? This is on Steam. Also why is it called TSW2 Prototype on the Unreal Engine Crash report screen?

I have verified files and everything is as it should, would it be wise just to uninstall it and reinstall to check?

Thanks
    Rob Aka Artful

• Like Like x 1
  2. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

AMD card ?

3. Artful

Artful Member

Yes it is AMD GPU

4. maxipolo12

Ok so wait for an update you are not alone in this case.
    Check technical forum.

And next time buy an Nvidia card 'D

5. Artful

Artful Member

Do you have a link to where this is mentioned on the technical forum and its horses for courses whether you choose AMD or Nvidia lol

6. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

This what was attached to a auto reply I got on ticket submitted

TRAIN SIM WORLD 2 OWNERS

If you're a user with AMD hardware that is experiencing a crash on launch or during play, please roll back your AMD Drivers to 20.4. You can download the driver from https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-4-2. Unreal Engine 4 is currently not compatible with newer or beta drivers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Artful

Artful Member

Not sure why it should have changed as it was working fine up to this evening (UK) and since it released

8. Artful

Artful Member

It is really weird as that drive has been there for days and it was working as I said above only stopped working and started crashing this evening may bugger up MSFS 2020 as that was for that too.

9. Artful

Artful Member

NOPE that did nothing its still kicking in the crash in the same place obviously another bug in TSW2 :(

10. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Strange after rolling back my drivers I have had no futjer crashes, mot sure what to suggest other than submit a trouble ticket.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Artful

Artful Member

Support ticket is already in and those at DTG should have been aware of this as those drivers came out on the 17th August and its been working fine with those drivers up to this evening so something else is broken somewhere and it has nowt to do with 20.8.2 whatsoever

12. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

Nvidia work play tsw2

13. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

This problem also exists with Nvidia, using the latest available drivers. I've been asked to put a ticket in at some point.

Hoping for a fix really without getting too involved.

14. fanta1682002

i work Nvidia 452.06 play tsw2

15. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Same, 452.06, GTX 1080, i7700k, Win10 x64, 16GB RAM.

16. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Honestly, I've gotten the CTD's running my some old video driver for my RX 580, then I upgraded to 20.8.2, got CTD's, then as per DTG's instructions, I installed 20.4.2 and still had the crashes. Funny thing is - if you try playing TSW2 with your PC offline, following the first intro video, it will CTD with the same exact error, which makes me think that the issue has nothing to do with our hardware and everything to do with the fact that Denuvo can't reach it's servers. I'm pretty sure it ran mid-game checks and couldn't reach said server, which resulted in crashes for us, again, same exact crashes that you get when you play with your PC not connected to internet.

17. jazznsf

jazznsf Member

If you're also running Flight Sim, the rollback to the corporate stable (WHQL) driver for AMD GPUs - 20.4.2 - is not advised.

TSW2 runs pretty well on my build, albeit with more stutters and "stalls" than 2020 had, using 20.8.2 (TSW2020 ran almost flawlessly for me.) I've decided to wait for the devs to release a patch that fixes the issue(s) we seem to be having. I agree with TheShotte in regard to hardware: I am not convinced it is a hardware issue at all. To wit: I'm consistently getting 42-52 FPS in Flight Sim, with some aircraft/locations running at over 60 FPS. Smooth as butter, with zero crashes to desktop after the first patch from MS.

We just need to give the devs time to work their particular brand of magic. Hopefully DTG will push a patch soon and all will be well again. The Bakerloo Line awaits! :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. maxipolo12

With train simulator, TSW1 or 2 that was always an engine problem related.
    The motor of ts didn't ever worked properly and the unreal for tsw has never been well optimized by DTG, that is a fact.
    I hit stable 90 fps with the witcher 3 all high or ultra also with nvidia technologies as hairwork

19. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I was having regular crashing it was driving me nuts and decided to try one more thing and then give up and go back to ts2021.

Here is what i did and have driven 5 hours without a crash.

1. installed the original Nvidia 2070 driver (446.14)
    2. Disabled the sharing/overlay in Gforce Experience.
    3. Started the game from within my Steam Library

Mike

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

So I had Unreal Engine crashes on TSW 2 when I was using an AMD RX5700 with 20.8.X. It seems more stable on downgrade to 20.4.2
    I was a bit reluctant as this driver is pretty old. I'm also concerned at jazznsf comment as I have MS Flight Sim to. It is likely (I'd guess) to get driver updates for MSFS given it's graphics heavy and a new game. So would hope that what appears to be a TSW 2/UE engine/AMD
    incompatibility is fixed at some point soon. Has the source of the issue been identified and fix in progress?

21. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I just started experiencing Unreal crashes after the latest Preserved collection releases -- but only on my German routes - US and UK routes are unaffected. Prior to the latest release, I had a very stable system. Once i uninstalled all preserved collection German routes and DLC the original TSW2 German route started working again. Will be re-installing the rest of the TSW2 German routes and DLC till I determine the offending items.

22. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Hey LeadCatcher if you experience these crashes again please could you contact customer support when it happens and submit a ticket, I appreciate it can be frustrating at the time but this will help us identify the issue faster.

• Like Like x 1
  23. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I have been troubleshooting the problem myself ( it is what I do as a consultant) and found it interesting that it only affect German Routes. I suspected it was a self inflicted wound. There was a MOD that added other German engines to timetables of other routes. Removing that MOD corrected the problem. I had forgotten I had installed that mod so it took me a while to dig through things, removing and re-installing DLC then noticing the MOD’s PAK file in the content directory.

I have found over the many years I have been involved with technology ( ‘74 first university course on computers) that when something isn’t working for me and is for others, it is something I have “tweaked” on my side or conflicts with my configurations. Thanks for reaching out, but I have the problem sorted.... “ I have meet the enemy, and it was me... “ to paraphrase... :)

• Like Like x 4
  24. RetiredPaul

RetiredPaul New Member

I have just started getting these crashes. It has affected all my routes, both the TSW2 (Bakerloo) and the Preserved collections. I have not had this problem before, so an initial guess is it is linked to the release of the latest Preserved Collections (Norther Trans-Pennine and Great Western).
    Just to make it clear, it is also affecting the routes that had been working perfectly before.

• Like Like x 1
  25. RetiredPaul

RetiredPaul New Member

I have just uninstalled TSW2 and reinstalled it, with no change. I am completely unable to play any of the routes.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Whatever was in the recent patch has had no effect on my system other than a noticeable performance boost and all routes are running perfectly, including preserved collection.
    I 7-6700, GTX-1070, SSD, G-SYNC, 64GB Ram. So nothing special.
    Wish I could offer some good advice to those having problems.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  27. TheShotte

It has been concluded that the issue persists with AMD hardware. I'm glad everything is working for you, but why did you even post? A metaphorical "pointing of finger and laughing" at the people who have AMD hardware?

28. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Not my intention at all. It's clear that the problems are not confined to AMD hardware and I was merely pointing out that many of us are not experiencing them. If I came across as "smug " then I apologize.

29. stevopedia

stevopedia New Member

I'm having the same problems... soldiering on with my GTX 970, the game was perfectly stable and ran great until the latest update with the preserved collection released (and a real shame too, as NTP was one of my favorites). The Unreal engine crash is given as just an "unhandled exception," which is about as unhelpful as an error message can be.

The crash seems to happen on any route, and after about 5-10 minutes, if even that long.

• Like Like x 2
  30. michael hooley

A strange thing happened this afternoon just left Blue Anchor and the game crashed, steam also crashed and would not reopen tried everything, I swear I was not dreaming, my steam folder had disappeared. I restarted my computer and everything was back to normal with the steam folder back where it should be.

Then I drove from Bishops to Minehead and did plenty of walking without a hitch, this is going to take some solving.

31. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

There is no need to take their post as a personal attack, Mr. Shotte. They are merely reporting a data point, a statistic.

• Like Like x 1
  32. TheShotte

Hmm. I was getting consistent crashing on RSN's Storm Trail scenario. I went back from 20.9.1 WHQL to 20.4.2 and it doesn't crash anymore. If you're running an AMD card, I do suggest using 20.4.2 WHQL drivers. Also, whoever else is getting crashing, I was getting crashing after a patch as well. Went on Steam, and I did the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache", which found a bunch of problems and fixed my game installation and no more weird crashes. So yeah, if you're getting weird crashing (especially when loading), try verifying your game cache.

33. TheShotte

Sounds like a HD issue.

34. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Im getting constant crashes since the last tsw patch

My pc is up to date, drivers etc etc
    No other games have issues, including MSFS which is intensive beyond tsw
    Deleted/freshly installed
    Deleted mods
    Ryzen cpu, nvidia gpu
    Cleared cache
    Basics are covered

Tried everything i could think of and been tossed ideas from others

Thats great that a mass of people "runs fine" , but useless remarks. There are obvs a ton of people having this issue, here, discord, reddit, steam... list goes on

Sincerely hope the DoveTailGang are looking into this

All routes for me ive attempted btw, IOW, SPG, GWE, Koln Aachen

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  35. stevopedia

stevopedia New Member

We're in the same boat then, Schnauzahpowahz. I've done everything you list, and also have a Ryzen CPU.

I made it 30+ minutes into a service on Ruhr-Sieg Nord today. I thought I might actually be able to finish it, but the game crashed as I was less than 10 km out from my destination (total run length was 40 km).

• Like Like x 1
  36. RetiredPaul

RetiredPaul New Member

I just tried again this morning. I got quite excited as the scenario passed the point where crashed earlier in the week. But was disappointed - it just crashed a couple of minutes later.

37. michael hooley

I understand your frustration Paul, I was in the same boat a week ago, I do not know what I have done but I played around with the TSW2 settings and the Nvidia control panel, I do not know if it was a fluke or just a temporary good run, but I have drove 9 services and walked all over the place , routes Leeds to Manchester, Bishops to Minehead, London Underground, Great Western, without a crash.
    I realise that I may be tempting fate here Lol.

I rolled back to driver (446.14 27th May 2020) and I am now leaving well alone.

Mike

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  38. fanta1682002

nvidia driver 457.09 play tsw2 very work

39. vlad_shatilov

vlad_shatilov New Member

I have the same problem with UE4 crashes. It started after last steam TSW2 update. AMD CPU and GPU. Tried 20.4.2 drivers and other late stable versions but no results. Crahes randomly on all routes after few minutes of play or in the end of scenery(timetable) (last station or passanger outboard). I have no idea what to do.

40. jazznsf

jazznsf Member

New driver release 18 November for AMD cards: 20.11.2

Currently running 20.11.1 released 6 November on an X570 mainboard; Ryzen 3600; 5700XT - no problems encountered so far...

41. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Keep us posted. I am interested in the 6800XT but am hesitant because of the driver issues reported here.

42. vlad_shatilov

vlad_shatilov New Member

Tested 20.11.1 and 20.11.2. Have the crashes still

43. Jonsutt1

Jonsutt1 Active Member

I have Ryzen 5-1600X with 16GB and nVidia 1060. Graphics driver is 457.30. When playing TSW2, my system keeps crashing to UE4 crash reporter screen overlaid on desktop. I've tried verifying integrity of game files and have disabled 'In-game overlay' in GeForce Experience, but it keeps crashing. On Great Western Express, it crashed before I had even started to walk towards the train. I get similar crashes with Bakerloo Line, Tees Valley and Sand Patch Grade. I've sent multiple crash reports to DTG, so hopefully they will have enough clues to fix it.

44. Jonsutt1

Jonsutt1 Active Member

Just tried running TSW2 from within Steam as suggested in an earlier post. Unfortunately it still crashes.

45. michael hooley

have you tried graphics driver 446.14 ?

Oops not sure if that is compatible with your 1060 ?.

Mike

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  46. Curgenven

Curgenven New Member

Tried various Nvidia driver versions including 446.14 and the game still crashes regularly since the recent update, it was sweet and peachy before then. I'm hoping the next patch solves this issue as for now I can't drive anything.

47. Jonsutt1

Jonsutt1 Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I've not tried any earlier drivers as I don't know how to locate and install them. NVidia website shows only latest suitable driver. I guess I'd best wait for DTG to fix this.

48. michael hooley

Jon this is where you can download nvidia drivers and install manually, this is a good place if Gforce experience install fails.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/drivers/

I have 446.14

in the driver type choose game ready not all.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  49. Jonsutt1

Jonsutt1 Active Member

Mike, thanks very much for that. I don't know why I couldn't find previous driver versions when I looked at the nVidia site yesterday. Must be an age thing... Anyway, I've just installed 446.14 and tried it out on TSW2 Bakerloo Line intro. Unfortunately it crashed to the UE4 Crash Reporter window within the first few secs, before the narrator had even started speaking. So maybe not a graphics driver issue.

Jon

50. michael hooley

Sorry to hear that Jon, I was keeping my fingers crossed. I was getting Blue screens of death, windows 10 freezing and the unreal engine crashes you are experiencing. rolling back the driver cured it. having said that my graphics card is a 2070 super, but i thought it was worth a try.
    I would save that link as sometimes Gforce Experience throws a wobbler and fails to update the driver and you have to do it manually.

Mike

• Like Like x 1