Atsf Pasadena Subdivision ( Los Angeles Division Second District ) - Early 1950s

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Buynot, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

The Santa Fe Railroad's Pasadena Subdivision runs from Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal to San Bernardino, and was mainly used by passenger trains during the 1950s, with freight being routed via Fullerton. This was due to the abundance of suburban Inland Empire towns and cities located within such close proximity to each other. One of the most famous stations along the route was the South Pasadena station, as it was a popular spot for photographers. The station was abandoned in the late 40s and demolished several years later. Another popular station was the Pasadena Station, as it was commonly used by movie stars to board Santa Fe passenger trains in order to avoid the hustle and bustle of LAUPT. In addition to usual commuter trains and the occasional re-routed freight train, the line was served by the Santa Fe's most popular streamliners including The Super Chief, El Capitan, and The Grand Canyon Limited. The high end streamliners were commonly headed up by EMD F7s, and ALCO PAs in warbonnet paint schemes, with a 3700 class Northern occasionally acting as a head end helper. The other passenger trains (which were often only one or two cars not counting a baggage car) were headed up by their Pacifics and Hudsons. When freight trains were routed via the Pasadena Sub. there was a large variety of what you may find on the head end. During the early 50s, the ATSF was in the midst of transitioning from steam to diesel, which ended up being a slow process, as a result of the Spud Rush occurring in the Bakersfield area at the time, which diverted most of the available diesel power to the Tehachapi area to accommodate for that, leaving many areas (especially Cajon Pass) to steam. This lead to one being able to spot Mikado, Northern, and Texas type locomotives leading trains in the steam department. For diesels, it was Bluebonnet F7s, and Zebra Stripe GP7s, GP9s, and Alco RS2s and RS3s doing switching duties (steam switchers were completely gone at this point). For passenger rolling stock, there were pretty much only two kinds: Lightweight Stainless Steel, or Pullman Green Heavyweights. As for freight, it was your usual 40ft boxcars, gondolas, flat cars, cabooses, ect. Pretty much the same stuff you'd find on any freight hauling railroad during this period.
    I believe that this route would be a lot fun to play in TS, with a wide variety of passenger and freight equipment and scenarios to choose from. What do you guys think? Is this something you'd like to see?[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  2. treid09

treid09 Guest

Buynot, you are a genius! I love the basic black look of Santa Fe steam. I would especially love to see a closely modeled Super Chief and El Capitan. The PA's would also be fantastic. I can also see someone making a ATSF 2926 to go along with this as well (aka Smokebox).

• Like Like x 3
  3. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

This sounds like an awsome route. I would love to see it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TommyPicklesfan1992

TommyPicklesfan1992 Member

If This Route was made and Released, Maybe Someone can backdate it into Today's Metrolink's San Bernardino Line via San Gabriel sub, So We can simulate 3751's Trip to San Bernardino Railroad Days.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Heck Yeah!!!!!!!! I love Santa Fe! I would totally get this. I want a 3751 or 2900-Class 4-8-4, an F3 or F7 A-B-B-A set in both Warbonnet and Cat Whisker colors, and maybe either an Alco RSD15, Alco PA-1 A-B-A set, GP7/9, or Alco RS3. I'd also like the 2-8-2 Mikado, 4-6-4 Hudson, or 2-10-4 Texas. We definitely need the Super Chief and/or El Capitan, plus freight equipment.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  6. TommyPicklesfan1992

TommyPicklesfan1992 Member

I'm sure that Milepost Simulations can do this route since They made The Raton Pass Route

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  7. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

I like this. I like this alot. I'm not kidding. This kindles joy. Much joy. But then BNSF licensing pops up so prolly gonna have to go unbranded and let the reskinners out there apply the proper logos and stuff. But ANYWAYS this is STILL a fantastic suggestion.
    SHAMELESS PLUG WARNING: Yet another route that could have FP45 scenarios if my lil ol' suggestion is done.

• Like Like x 2
  8. treid09

treid09 Guest

As a modeler, I dig this boxcar. It even has separate cut levers and roof grab irons!

Santa Fe all the way man.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steammaster4449

You're welcome.
    KappaHD.png

10. treid09

treid09 Guest

11. steammaster4449

sqrlYES.png

12. steammaster4449

I've had a thought as of typing this one out too. This could quite possibly be merged with you're Southern Pacific L.A. to Ventura route, and possibly be merged with the very dated Cajon Pass route, or a new version of the route.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

Agree that would be cool and I want to see this happen in TS 2021.

• Like Like x 2