Building Lgv Méditerranée

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Nov 11, 2020.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

[​IMG]
    We chat to the development team about building the first French route for Train Sim World 2

Read the article here.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 33
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Frash air. Looks promising.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Link not loading. I suspect everyone is trying to access it at the same time.

4. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I got in after several attempts

• Like Like x 1
  5. mickelmickle

mickelmickle Member

The details in the cab look stunning

• Like Like x 6
  6. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I don't know how... but I'm pretty sure I know who drove this TGV... with a PINK WIPER! :D
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 20
  7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The screenshots look amazing. The auto generated aspects of the route might also explain why this route has taken the lead in development?

• Like Like x 4
  8. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say, while that article is very interesting and gives a cool insight, it felt like it said everything and nothing at the same time... maybe I just expected to be something different?
    What does that tell me? That because creating routes is faster we can expect for example LGV in 2/3 weeks time and SE HS for Christmas? and generally allow you to create routes faster? It seems like it doesn't allow you to build longer ruotes since Clinchfield was cut down from the TS version* and IIRC you made an extension to this same route for TS but you didn't include it in the TSW version, and generally I think you are within your standard 80/100km range with the routes in the roadmap. But now I'm waiting for longer routes in the future :)

*as pointed out this method might be unusable for Clinchfield because it's an historic route

• Like Like x 6
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Yeah. For me, trains simulators are a form of therapy. ICE looks nice and moans nicely. It can be even better here.

• Like Like x 4
  10. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

This looks amazing. I don’t know what to say. It looks like somebody was monkeying around with the livery editor, with the pink windshield wiper... probably Matt. From the looks of it, we’re going to have more NPC’s, I can see some in the background harvesting something.

Clinchfield is a historic route, meaning it’s probably all hand crafted, so it had to be cut down in size.

• Like Like x 6
  11. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Didn't think about that you are right, thanks for the heads up I'll edit my post

• Like Like x 2
  12. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

I hope that 2nd shot is what it autogenerates and isnt the environmental team trying to show off....jeez. I did find it a cool read though, was nice little dabble into the background, and as above the cab does look fantastic.

does anyone else still feel like the ballast etc is too sterile? looking at that first shot the rocks etc look fantastic then you look at the cess and its so flat and clean. GWE has made me really notice it, and Munich. I think this is a TSW wide issue, textures are always way too clean/sterile. Look at the new 166 cab and compare it to say the ICE3, the 166 looks miles ahead interms of wear and tear.

• Like Like x 5
  13. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    the un-used screenshots.

• Like Like x 11
  14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Wow. That is pretty pink indeed. Where did you get these?

• Like Like x 1
  15. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Still looks like very very early stage, probably coming for Christmas

• Like Like x 3
  16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s probably further along than you think for them to have shown it off today.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

One end might be more done than the other, they just happened to take screenshots at a certain time/location. Although the inclusion of the pink TGV is a odd choice to run with.

18. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I think the first picture is just an artwork similar to what what they did for other new routes as well.

• Like Like x 2
  19. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

The cab to me looks like some stickers from the TS20xx instruments applied to the 3d model and used as either a testbed or guideline to create the proper cab and seems the TGV itself still needs a bit of work, especially if you think about all the interior (which seems to be missing) and such...

If they manage to get it out in 2 or 3 weeks I need to change my mind either in how much people are employed by DTG, or how time consuming 3d modelling really is

Just speculation, my guess is as good as anybody, maybe those screens were taken a month ago :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Those other images are going to be used in our next article where we discuss TGV Duplex BR125 bit of a spoiler for you.

• Like Like x 13
  21. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

I like this art picture much more that route himself))))
    IMG_20201111_212227.jpg

22. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Route looks awesome looking forward to it's release

• Like Like x 3
  23. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

you made it too easy when I saw the images were numbered 1,2,4 ;)

• Like Like x 2
  24. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I am glad that DTG improves tools and optimizes the production process. MAG shows that changing the scenery is not the only goal, but it is possible to add new mechanics to the game (eg PIS). These intentions look very optimistic. I hope the implementation will be at the same level.
    PS..
    Haha. Epic Easter Egg!
    PS...
    I am not so sure :)

2.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  25. ronaldix

ronaldix Active Member

Please stop using the LGV catenary post from TS they are ugly and unrealistic make new one like those in the artwork they are the ones used IRL.

• Like Like x 6
  26. ShaneS89

ShaneS89 Active Member

Pink usually means textures are missing or in this case unfinished, that looks like a placeholder for testing while a different team finishes the model and textures.

• Like Like x 5
  27. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Interesting article. If auto generating scenery is going to speed up the process of route building then that increases the range of routes that can be produced. This is a good test for that method by the looks of it and Matt also says that they want to keep the same quality at the end, so we shouldn’t be able to point at an area and see automatically placed repeating scenery, so that’s good to know.

• Like Like x 7
  28. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

When I saw that this route had exited production I assume that is because it is pretty much complete and is just being play tested, so I wonder how old those unused shots are, I suspect a few weeks at least.

I am looking forward to this route very much, and hoping for some other types of TGV trains later on as DLC, it does feel a bit like a test-bed and using the autogeneration would support that, it is testing new tech in a new country and I hope it all comes off very well.

We see with MSFS that being able to pull data from global mapping makes for a very nice and detailed world on a big scale and I fully agree with the mix of hand-crafting and auto gen being the key to getting it to feel right.

• Like Like x 3
  29. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

A Dev stream would be better than a article to showcase it

• Like Like x 3
  30. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

OMG as working for the SNCF I’m so happy and it’s the Duplex 200 series with its unique sound let’s hope you didn’t put the one frime the Dasye lol. I see the artwork that the Duplex is in the Carmillon livery but are you planning to put the Atlantique one ?

• Like Like x 5
  31. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It is an interesting development. I do not think I will buy this route. I know the TS version and did not play it often, due to lack of variety in gameplay. But It is nice to see innovations in productivity, which somehow benefits our wallets as well.

• Like Like x 4
  32. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

So for a bigger route you will use a pre generation tool. To populate scenery. Didn't you do this for TS. So this will speed up dev time. But does this mean graphics , scenery is worse off if it's repetitive. This is right step in direction.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This is a bit dangerous precedent. We will be getting a normal length route with one station and two stops (Avignon and Aix-en-Provence truly are not full stations) and one train. If another TGV was to be made, based on the lacking variety is should've been in, to begin with, not added for an extra payment. Hopefully Duplex at least comes with multiple liveries.

• Like Like x 8
  34. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

The screenshot of the french fields and the tgv look stunning, this screenshot and the one in schnellfahrstreke of Köln Hbf are my favourite so far. Certainly looking forward for when the route releases

• Like Like x 1
  35. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I very much appreciate this detailed article as it does give us some insight. One of the most positive things to take away from this article is the new “auto generation” of some of the scenery and from the way it’s explained it seems like a winning situation for DTG and us as customers. Stream lining of some of the more time consuming tasks is exactly what DTG need so they can spend more time in the areas that need it. I’m very excited for this route and am very much looking forward to hearing more!

• Like Like x 6
  36. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I‘m not that interested in TGVs but I am curious about this new auto-generation tool. If the quality doesn‘t suffer then it would be a big help in creating contemporary routes and could mean longer routes in the future.
    I‘m looking forward to seeing how this route turns out.

Edit: spelling

• Like Like x 6
  37. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

As I have mentioned on my other thread about New Routes,- including this one-, despite I like TGVs and others high speed trains, this particular route creates doubts to me about purchase it.
    Let me explain:

- This is high speed only, and it is not so long, despite is a bit longer than other ones. But does not have 100 km long either.
    - It is fastest than the others, with 320 kph, so running time will be relative short.
    - There is only one train!.
    On the other 2 german ones you have the high speed line, but also regional or commuter trains around to drive too. Or even freight ones.
    This will not be possible here.
    Of course only with Scenario Planner and Out of the Rails. So you could use the ICE or even the HST, or the future new UK high speed train.
    Other variations of TGV will come in the future probably, but there will be no big difference.
    - There are only 3 passenger stations. So no yards, no other alternatives for driving.
    - This last one it is a "detail" but it is a personal point:
    As to the cab, I never liked the TGV's ones with big red speed numbers.
    I prefer the modern ones instead, with double screens like these photos:
    TGV CAB SCREENS.jpg Pupitre_de_commande_d'un_TGV_2N2.jpg

May be these are not included on the TGV Mediterranee trainsets.

I agree it is interesting what they mentioned about new technology / tool for faster scenery creation.

Finally I would like to mention something related to the "real thing", it is intended by developers and community would like to have:
    Trains are really great about realism and details.
    But when you drive a timetable there is really lack of them.
    You depart and arrive from big stations - or even not so big - but there are almost no trains and no people leaving the train or going around.
    Koln, New York Penn, London Paddington, Munich, are almost empty.
    Yes, I know more people and trains will imply more resources, but they could do something like AI trains simply ones without cabs, and simplier design static people stand or sitting around.

What do you think about it

Anyway I will wait for final information and features about this route, in order to make my decision about it

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
  38. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This probably limits the usage of scenario planner - you don't have many spots to put trains to. I am very interested in what this route actually offers.

• Like Like x 1
  39. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Very reasonable points. I really wanna try this train but I might not pick it up at launch, at least not if it comes with a hefty 30 bucks price tag.

• Like Like x 2
  40. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Let me point out the elephant in the room of this route if you jump to buy it as soon as it's released be ready to not be surprised by a new routes normal issuses,do i want this route yes,do i want to keep buying new routes that come pre broken no.you would think with every new route dtg does they get better at releasing there new routes less broken then more.

• Like Like x 5
  41. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Maybe with the low amount of features there won't be that much to break in this one :D

• Like Like x 4
  42. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Of course, this will be quite monothematic, but ... I usually molest freight trains. Sometimes I diversify with a passenger one. However, when I want to enjoy the aesthetics, simply to relax by listening to Mozart - ICE. Lgv Méditerranée - I see the potential - 30 minutes of ecstasy. Esoteric A - B. Price? Per hour, per km? I know the dilemma of how to schedule a few purchases. However, this is some parameter - how varied the route is (or not). True.

• Like Like x 1
  43. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

This route 65miles long and it has one of the fastest trains in the game,depending on dtg development time with this one,i guess we can only hope it's closer to working better then worse.This is a great route for dtg to do,lets just pray it works great as well.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

It a bug appears at 320 kph, we might end up in Paris instantly. :D

• Like Like x 4
  45. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

Are we only getting the double decker tgv or are we getting double decker and single decker tgv

• Like Like x 1
  46. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

You usually do WHAT to freight trains? Those poor trains...

• Like Like x 5
  47. mickelmickle

mickelmickle Member

Well done to the Developers that have give us an insight on how the Route is getting built, very useful information , Thanks, keep up the good work

48. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

I think the Duplex ( double decker ) only and the Réseau ( single decker ) as a future DLC like for TS

49. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

i agree with you. i was expecting something like this.

• Like Like x 2
  50. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Et voilà les Carmillon

I'm in love!!!! :love:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020