Roadmap Update 10th November 2020

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Well considering there's supposed to be an article about LGV out today I'd guess it'll be out in the next 2-3 weeks (Dash-8 probably next week), which still leaves room for SEHS to be THE Christmas release.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I definitely do not misunderstand what is said by DTG. I have some objections against the idea that I as a customer should blindly accept all design decisions of a company, in this case DTG. Referring to a design is not a valid reason not to fix something. There can be tons of valid reasons. One of them may be that it is technically not feasible at the moment, or that it would be far above budget. It this case a apology may be appropriate. There also could be a promise to at least try do this never again. And so on. If the design is perfect, then please explain why you think I am wrong.I could be, even though I am well educated and I have a fair amount of experience in software maintenance and development.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Yes someone said that before, but if it is not possible don't make a drive that suggests refuelling without any effort for a workaround that makes the innocent customer expect a refuelling action.

My comment is not on what can or can't be done, but about the excuse that it works as designed. I just say, the design is not correct, so that is not a good excuse and I invite DTG to think deeper and learn something new in managing expectations. By the way, this is not the most important issue, but it is nice as an example on how to deal with issues.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

(I have put in bold the bits of text where you invented a strawman argument. Nobody has said the design is perfect, nor has anyone said you cannot object to design decisions.)

To make this very simple for you:

It isn't an aspect of the game that is broken, it is an aspect of design that could be improved. The difference being that of an issue that belongs in the tech reports forum, and an idea that belongs in the suggestions forum. This is the latter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

They rather make a profit before fixing oboiovous problems

• Like Like x 1
  6. patrickjtierney

patrickjtierney New Member

In the In Planning section, it says, [Fix] Settings not being saved between game sessions

Does this include the PC problem where the game forgets the Dovetail Live login settings?

7. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I doubt that. I think it's more along the lines of how it forgets the motion blur settings etc.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. tallboy7648

And with the high speeds of the route, the route will be done in around 34 minutes according to raileurope so bascially another short high speed route. (Yes I know that this is based off the route in Train Simulator 2021) I think dtg needs to understand for future high speed routes that they need to be at least 75 miles or longer with more stopping stations because to have a route that only stops at one station in timetable mode, it makes it boring pretty quick and repitive. I like driving high speed trains such as the ice 3 but since the routes are short for the high speeds the trains do, it gets done quickly so I woiuld like high speed routes that are 75 miles or longer because 40 to 50 mile high speed routes are just too short

• Like Like x 6
  9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am not sure that spending an hour staring at a screen whilst you hurtle along at high speed would be that enticing to be honest. An hours scenario of a commuter train making station stops or wonderfully recreated scenery whilst hauling a heavy freight sound more appealing, but not an hour of speeding along at high speed. Thirty minutes sounds about right in my opinion.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

IMO it's a tad silly they got things like Mastery on the roadmap while there's still problems with staying logged in to Dovetail Live. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Fix things, make them work first, before adding new things and expanding the system?

• Like Like x 4
  11. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

And I was right after THIS. I better see a Dash 8 article (or announcement) this week or I'm gonna lose it for sure.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  12. dasmith1

dasmith1 Active Member

Highly unlikely for the Dash 8 acticle

13. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Definetly not the reason. Those things are clear as always as they dont change anyways. The real reason is, that they not got any reviewable content for now from me, and only if they have such, they decide to put it onto the roadmap or not. That's fair enough i guess. I can live with that. Those producs will appear for sure. But they maybe will not being announced such far infront of their release as the stuff on the roadmap, because i normally dont deliver unfinished thing for reviews. So please pe patient if you are interested into TSG products (what will be mostly Germany releated stuff).

• Like Like x 23
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  14. tallboy7648

Well i would perfer staring at a screen doing a long high speed route and i know others would too instead of doing shunting or hauling freight for a hour at slow speeds.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Oh ok, then I just understood that incorrectly. Sorry about that. Definitely looking forward to those DLCs though, that's for sure. Especially Br 420, that's my favourite german EMU.

16. mickelmickle

mickelmickle Member

Really looking forward to your produts

17. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

As Americans, we really need the Dash 8, if only to assuage the hunger and thirst we've been suffering from since who knows when. European freight is fine but it can't match the thunder of a trey of geeps hauling a mile long manifest through the mountains. The church bells will not ring again until Clinchfield and Cane Creek show up. ;)

• Like Like x 8
  18. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

As a European... I totally agree :D

• Like Like x 5
  19. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

Sweet. External hardware support moved to upcoming!

• Like Like x 1
  20. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

Here is my estimate for stuff C40-8W 1 month cane creek and clinchfield railroad maybe 2-3 months livery designer compatibility with preserved collection 4 months ( this is a estimate from someone that does not work for dovetail or any of the companies that works with them honestly if any of these are correct I will be surprised )

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Costpap

Costpap Member

Next Arrival stuff typically makes it into the game the Tuesday after the roadmap announcement, so I’d say that the C40-8W is less than 1 week away from release, but you never know.

• Like Like x 1
  22. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

Yeah you're right you never know

23. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

Kinda weird to have the Main Spessart Bahn fixes in the released section. Especially saying adjusted topspeed for 146.2 and removed audio artifacts for 146.2/185 and the locos still behave exactly the same for me as before the update from the 5th November. Looking forward to the TGV though.

• Like Like x 3
  24. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

It's because that part of the update has not been released yet, even though it's in that section. This roadmap is very confusing at times...

25. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Surely the Dash 8 has to be released before the next roadmap, so next week for sure??

• Like Like x 1
  26. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

As much as I agree on the sound, the top speed problem has been solved. Keep in mind if you use AFB, it reaches about 156-158, not full 160, but before it struggled to get last 140, so yeah, speed is fine.

• Like Like x 1
  27. elvescast

elvescast Active Member

Just read the road map and to be honest I find that the next few weeks all on sand patch and pis.

Seems a lot just for sand patch to be focus of few weeks work, what about everything else?

Pis really? On custom scenarios they dont work anyway, seems a lot for little return for the players unless it's going to work in custom scenarios.

As for new routes, the tgv could be interesting to drive and I'm unsure what to think about it right now.

High speed 1 is a misnomer really, I seen footage of this route on train sim and really most of the time your below 90 on third rail, the small section of high speed is in tunnels, I hope this route is on the cheap side rather than full price like MAG or the preserved route like Hauptstrecke Rhein Ruhr.

• Like Like x 1
  28. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

HS1 or high speed 1 is the route wich connects London to the Channel Tunnel, on the SE HS you leave HS1 at Ebbsfleet Intl. to then join the traditional rail network up to Faversham.

Also since you don't like anything on the roadmap, what would you personally add to the game?

• Like Like x 3
  29. elvescast

elvescast Active Member

First I admit I did a error there, you are correct I called it high speed 1 when it is in fact as you say the Southeastern high speed service. I can only apologise for this error on my part as it was an oversight.

I see plenty of good stuff on the road map it just seems the next arriving section has only the things I mentioned in it, I know they are working on lots and trying to solve some of the issues.

As said above there is plenty on the road map that is great however the next few weeks look bland is all, I was just sharing my own opinion.

As for what I would put on the road map I think they should work more on some of the problems with the bigger more profitable routes and work on fixed for all the routes not just one.

Sand patch reminds me of NEC on Tsw 2020, it's done move along and get on with the rest of the game.

Now is the time to start looking at what's next.

As for personal things I would like to see on the road map its difficult to say because I dont understand the licensing behind routes and stuff, also very fix is on there I just feel they should spread them out.

• Like Like x 2
  30. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Sand Patch still has scenarios that can’t be completed and a problem with the dynamic brakes on the AC4400 amongst other things. It also has a new loco coming out for it, which is partly why it’s getting a bit of attention at the moment. Because they are adding a new layer to the timetable it makes sense to adjust anything in the current timetable that wasn’t working well. It’s a workflow thing, which is why fixes come in batches on a single route. It helps with upgrade bundles to have fixes for a route go in when the route is getting updated anyway for the new loco DLC. Sand Patch is new to the majority of players and it’s not going to be abandoned before it’s even fully working. Routes have a shelf life of more than a couple of months, and we’ve had to wait while preserved collection was being introduced before getting any fixes. All routes will be getting fixes as and when they get round to them. No route should be ruled out from getting fixed.

• Like Like x 7
  31. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

Maybe once again there is a idea but I don't know if the train will come in the next week or two weeks

32. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I see the C40-8W skipped a step in the Roadmap!!!

• Like Like x 2
  33. rodgers.jayshawn4848

rodgers.jayshawn4848 Active Member

Yea it’s getting released soon, I’d say next Thursday. May see pics early next week

• Like Like x 2
  34. ArKaDeN

ArKaDeN New Member

The TGV is not entertaining, and i'm French, it's shame that DTG doesn't want to show the lines in Paris,
    I think they don't want you to be addicted to these lines and give up the rest :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  35. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Transilien and RER network could be interesting as it’s a mass transit and freight trains are running sometimes on the same track but two RER lines are difficult ( managed by two companies at the same time ) to get license as the RATP is a bit hard to get the licence, more than IDFM and SNCF

• Like Like x 4
  36. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I suspect it is more because they have the research material already, having built it in TS1 and due to the pandemic it is easier to use what you have, as going out to do research is hard at the moment.

Hopefully if it proves popular they will build more French routes. I would like to see more.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Exactly like most of the routes were already on TS so it’s a copy pasta with the data to rebuilt from dust

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. tallboy7648

I won't be buying this route because it's simply too short for the speeds. I hope future high speed routes are much longer

• Like Like x 4
  39. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Its 105 kilometer long

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. tallboy7648

Yes but it can be done in around 34 minutes since your doing over 200mph so it's short because of the high speds you'll do

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Length doesn’t mean anything. At those speeds, end to end, it’s only around a 25/30 minute drive.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

There's a vast community likes full run routes on TS. Third minutes is short. But with the new design tool they have we could see longer routes in future.

• Like Like x 1
  43. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

They have only just been using there new Tool for route creation which lets them populate a route quicker.

• Like Like x 1
  44. tallboy7648

I hope the new design tool helps make longer high speed routes

• Like Like x 3
  45. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Exactly what I'm thinking.

46. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I am rather disappointed about the lack of plans for the scenario designer. The present version has a fair number of bugs, and worse the design of the data has a very low quality.Having a short look at the scenario planning tool for TS and just make sure to support at least that data structure, would have helped a lot. I am afraid the presented scenario planner is a dead end. An example, the action type at a station is determined at the level of the path, so you cannot mix simple stops and passenger pickup instructions. Another thing is the way the stops are modelled, you only can specify a location, but not any instruction on what to do. It is not simple to add additional instruction types like a go via, pick up cargo, couple/uncouple etcetera without breaking all present scenarios. This really is bad and needs to be addressed. But nothing on the roadmap, even to fix the major bugs except for one. I can accept a fresh start and a minimal product, but what is created looks a lot like something hacked by a junior developer without supervision and without a plan just to avoid a complete customer revolution.

• Like Like x 7
  47. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

The scenario editor is nothing more than a service timetable editor which allows you to drive different loco's on the route. To call it anything else would be an insult to the scenario creators out there that have uploaded 1000's of scenarios for train simulator.
    The same is true of the livery editor. Trainz had the same idea 10 years ago with Trainz paintshed which didn't last.

• Like Like x 3
  48. tallboy7648

It does have itś flaws and I hope they get addressed at least

• Like Like x 1
  49. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

They have said multiple times in streams that it is a version 1 with the minimum feature set for it to be of some use. They have a lot of wishes what they want to do with it, but so far those are not worked out and until that happens you will not see anything about it on the Roadmap. There are no wishes on the Roadmap, only stuff someone is actually assigned and spends his time on.
    If you have some great ideas how it could be better then you best post that in suggestions, in here it will go under in the other clutter.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

It's a matter of personal taste. You say boring, I say fun.
    For me, freight is boring (Sand Patch is boring as hell) but that is boring for me in my opinion.
    Many other people like it and that is fine.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1