Scenarios That Really Make You Work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by guardupfront, Nov 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

Hi all,

Not particularly sure where is best to post/ask about this but I’m looking for scenarios on TS that really test your driving ability. When I say that i mean along the lines of restrictive aspects, yellow signal, following slow/late services, ECS’s, working around failed trains etc. Subjectively, it’d be scenarios that you find challenging for reasons other than having not quite enough time to get from stop to stop.

I’ve found quite a few during my time playing Train Sim but I’m hoping to find more as these scenarios are the most enjoyable and worthwhile for me.
    As traincrew on one of the incredibly congested (pre-covid ofc) third rail networks, I’m used to a lot of start stop running and red signals and I’m hoping to find scenarios on some of the modern routes I own such as the WCML, Chatham, HS1, SWML, BML and so on. A good scenario or set of them will make me consider buying a route entirely.

thanks in advance and apologies if I’m looking in the wrong place!

2. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

Here's a couple:

https://www.dpsimulation.org.uk/freescenariopacks.html - DP makes very good scenarios that normally have something interesting going on.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542938108 - this is a slow moving freight scenario on the North London Lines but it is a masterpiece. Very detailed and challenging.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1098172897 - this is a fascinating run where you have to move a dead 91 at KX and take over. It does require a fair amount of non DTG DLC and freeware if that's a problem.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. guardupfront

Thanks very much - I have alot of the DP Simulations packs downloaded over the years. Are they still in production? I hope to see a set of engaging scenarios for the WCML South (freeware or DTG version) at some point.

Thankyou for the workshop scenarios, I've not seen them before so have subscribed and shall give them a go now!

4. andy.malcolm

I'm not sure if DP is still making new stuff, I only came back to TS this year after a long break so I'm a bit out of touch in a few areas (and so far behind on interesting Armstrong Powerhouse releases that I doubt if I'll ever make up that ground).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  5. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

There is a really good WS scenario creator called 'Coasty' his scenarios for W & T
    "Timed Team Work (1-6)" are excellent just search for Timed team Works on the WS page.
    Woodhead "Busy Monday on the woodhead line" - 7 scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  6. guardupfront

You and I both, it's been a few years away and it's all grown and changed in the meantime so hoping to pick it up again slowly!

Thanks Peter, just found their Workshop catalogue and giving it a look through now!

7. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

London Faversham, Frost Fall specifically.

I'd call these scenarios interesting as opposed to hard. But that might be just semantics.
    When the timetable suggests you to take risks, and then you're handling the controls like a racing driver, they're hard, but usually there is an easier way. Discussions involving real life drivers over at Steam usually invoked a "safety first" statement, meaning that unless you are in contact with the signalman's guidance, you'd have to approach signals carefully and that removes the stress about it. (Particularly with US stock where you can run out of air. You can practically apply brakes once every 5 minutes, and plan your driving as such.)

8. andy.malcolm

• Like Like x 1
  9. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. guardupfront

I really want to try Frost Fall but cannot for the life of me see the TVM signalling in the cab, I think it's a bloom issue. I had a google and I'm not the only one, so I'll have to fiddle with the visuals or something like that to get it working.
    Yeah exactly, my aim is to practice some defensive driving and reacting to signals/aspects, it's like second nature once you get the hang of it both in real life and on TS

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

In Settings is Adaptive Bloom - try unticking that to see if it make a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

A default scenario with London to Brighton is League Cup Special.

Take a 377 non-stop from Victoria to Brighton but you are following a number of other services
    I have cloned it and swapped the default 377 for a 365 in one, a 4 Cig in another and a 442 in a third.
    Fun riding the Double Yellows north of Haywards Heath but it drops to 3 aspect further south so you keep on your toes.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mack Winston

Mack Winston Active Member

I think there's a couple on the Portsmouth Direct route where there's enough going on in the Portsmouth area you can actually see the train you're following, and lots of caution/danger aspects.

15. guardupfront

Thankyou very much, it has done, think it’s workable now! Been fiddling around with visual settings for so long that I don’t remember what’s best anymore (and I’m running on Bootcamp so it’s not the most optimised as it is).

Found a good few scenarios where I’m following trains and in the middle of congestion on that route, so Thankyou for that. However there are a couple tiny tiny issues with the PDL route compared to reality and as I’m expecting to be assessed and sign off that route in real life in a few months time (hopefully!) I don’t want to spend too much time on it on TS incase i pick up some bad associations!