Tsw 2 Preserved Content Sound Issues

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Nov 13, 2020.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Has anyone else been having issues with the audio within the preserved content, which was ported into TSW 2?

For example, on ECW, I’m having quite a lot of issues with the sounds. There’s barely any environmental audio playing (it was there before in TSW 1). Also, when sounding the horn on the 377, it sounds like someone is squeezing a rubber duck.

I suspect these small, random sounds not working as intended is an issue across quite a lot of the preserved content collection?

Whilst these things aren’t game breaking, it does spoilt the immersion quite a bit as driving feels a bit bland and soulless without the proper audio.

• Like Like x 8
  2. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

For the same reason I'm avoiding MSB until the preserve collection team looked into it, they start fixing stuff now since all preserved content is out now and regarding to the roadmap

• Like Like x 1
  3. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

My biggest gripe is still with the rolling stock on Main-Spessart Bahn, even after the supposed DB BR 146.2 sound fixes. The traction motors still sound weird and quite far from what is represented in TSW2020. No rolling sound either. Then there are other bits, for example on HRR, where DB BR 425 has barely audible junction clacks. Or maybe GP38-2's bells that after longer use start to have their sound pitched higher and higher (it's quite funny hearing it!).

A lot to look into for Adam's team, basically.

• Like Like x 6
  4. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

apart from GWE nearly all preserved sounds are borked IMO. the german locos are practically unusable with the noises they make, or in case of the RT talent - dont make. NTP isnt *too* bad, or WSR....although the class 20 for me is still unusable, it has that horrible muffled, crackling noises it had on release for TSW for me. I really hope the class 20 is looked into, I cannot drive it.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

GWE is the only route I’m impressed with preserved collection sound wise. The trains on GWE sound brilliant and raises the bar for everything else. Sounds are being investigated as part of the Roadmap so fingers crossed we see improvements soon.

• Like Like x 6
  6. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Basically almost all preserved content has issues. The main ones I have reported myself at least are:

1) Missing sounds in cab view
    2) Missing sound oclussion produced by opening doors or windows (there´s no difference if they are open or closed)
    3) Horns stop working
    4) Passing AI and player trains having random silent wagons
    5) Missing fade-in effect for distant trains (sound pop-in suddendly at highest level)

Cheers

• Like Like x 5
  7. USRailFan007

USRailFan007 Well-Known Member

There are plenty of sound issues when it comes to the preserved collection, sadly. The engine sounds for the MP36PH and the F40PH on Peninsula are quite dampened and sound muffled/low. The GP38-2 UP bell makes that weird high pitched sound every time it's triggered, as Praxidike mentioned above. Mostly everything outside of GWE, is currently in bad shape. Hopefully, Adam's team can work out the kinks as the routes get added functionality, overtime.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I really do think sounds should be a priority, but it might take a while to get the balancing right on every route.

• Like Like x 3
  9. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I forgot about level crossings warning devices. Totally muted or extremely low sound. And barriers are static :(

In TSW1 they worked as expected:

Cheers

10. londonmidland

I think all preserved content routes need ‘special treatment’ just like GWE got. Obviously this will take time, but it really isn’t acceptable to keep preserved content in its current state.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

The sound across the whole game needs to be looked at. 146.2 sounds worse than in TSW2020, almost all trains have poor mixing, SPG locos need a serious horn improvement, etc. Do with them what you did with Class 166, DTG. Do it, we beg you.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

The rain sounds are one of the worst things for me. On some trains when driving in the rain the sound of the rain on the roof the train is just overly loud and drowns out any other sound. This really grates on me over the course of a service, especially on the 377, so I now try to avoid driving in the rain.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Driving the BR 143 and BR 155 is ruined now that their cab sounds have been muffled to be almost totally muted--the 143 is particularly bad. This is disappointing because these old electric hot boxes made a nice amount of racket in TSW1. :(

• Like Like x 4
  14. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any problems on TVL and I have used it a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The 45 on NTP is excellent, just been driving it.

However the 47 isn't as good and I'm reluctant to buy Tees Valley until I establish if the 37 actually now sounds like a 37, not a Kia Sportage!

• Like Like x 1
  16. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

What about the class 20? ive never been able to get it to sound right, there is a horrid muffled, crackling noise in internal views constantly.

17. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

The class 47 on Trans Pennine now sounds much better than it did engine wise. I find I'm driving it more than anything else at the moment. However, the wheels don't seem to make any noise on jointed track and there is no change in the sound when entering a tunnel, even with the windows open. On the Tees Valley route, the cement wagons are much improved in that the sound as they approach does not suddenly overpower the sound of the locomotive as it used to do. I have noticed though that when passing other trains, the sound of the oncoming locomotive is suitably impressive but the wagons are virtually silent. Please take this as it is intended, as positive feedback, I think sound is more important than looks and it's great to see things being addressed. The sounds of the 166 and HST are a big improvement for example.

• Like Like x 2
  18. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Regarding BR 155, did you turn on the Trafo cooling? I believe it is the fourth switch on the lower left of you. I actually can't use it because it is absurdly loud, but maybe that is what you are looking for.

19. Callum B.

Hmm, it does help liven up the sound a bit, but the mixing is still off. Not as bad as the BR 143, but some of the rolling sounds and cab creaks seem too be missing. It just sounds so flat.

• Like Like x 1
  20. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed although only driven the class 20 once so far. I will check it out again.

I have submitted a ticket regarding the class 47 and track sounds and the reverb sounds. It is odd how the class 45 seems to have them.

21. Tonto62

I've noticed that the sound of the class 20 is vastly improved if you open both windows and doors. I've had that muffled sound you describe when only the window on one side was open. Something you can try anyway, I've no complaints about the sound since I discovered this. Mind you, this was in tsw2020, I haven't tried the 20 in TSW2 yet.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  22. OldVern

I had a response to the ticket I submitted regarding missing reverb, at least to confirm it is logged though no ETA if/when a fix.

23. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

Best way I can think to describe it is if someone was touching the microphone as they recorded, or that the microphone was in a bag :'D

• Like Like x 1
  24. Tonto62

I know what you mean. It's like that buffeting effect you get if you drive your car at high speed with just one window open.

• Like Like x 1
  25. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I just hope they take time to correct all pending issues in the old routes and consolidating the current content before starting to release new DLCs for TSW2. There are some really important topics to check and solve, not only the sounds, which for me are definitely important for sure.

If not this will be a nightmare for us in the following months. So far I have faith in all our bug reports to be really taken into consideration and not stored unattended for another couple of years :) Let´s see what future brings to us.

Cheers

26. londonmidland

Now that all the preserved content ports are out of the way, I am hopeful that the preserved content team will crack on fixing the various underlying issues with it.

• Like Like x 1
  27. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I do not see this issue addressed in theTSW2 roadmap. Jumping ahead to a crossing and watching the gates go down as a train arrives is one of my favorite features of TSW1. I hope this eventually gets addressed.

• Like Like x 1
  28. nuno.andradegb

nuno.andradegb Member

I bought the RSN because I wanted another german route. Right away I noticed the BR143 had broken cab noises, but I continued playing it and thought it would be fixed soon.
    A few days ago I bought the Rapid Transit on sale and couldn't believe the Talent 2 also had no sounds, even though the sounds on the Koln route work ok. Right away I requested a refund from Steam.
    I really want to get Mein Spessart, but the sounds are so bad...

Dovetail is starting to gain a reputation for releasing unfinished products. I won't go on about the routes being only 60km long (since it's being worked on), but releasing products with the sounds broken???
    Also, why didn't they add the Munich underground S-Bahn station? They claim it would take longer as they had to model another station (as you would expect) so they decided to just release the product...

If some of the flight sim content producers step into the train sim market, I can imagine a bent on Dovetail's brand. Remember a GAME called Flight Sim World?

Sorry about my rant, I am just a customer that is starting to lose trust in here...

• Like Like x 1
  29. londonmidland

This is nothing new. DTG have ALWAYS had a bad reputation for releasing broken and unfinished products, specifically back in Train Simulators’ heyday. Nicknamed as a cash cow. Which is why many people say third parties and the community ‘saved’ Train Simulator. Without them, the game would very much be dead by now.

Moving on to more recent times, they have slowly built up trust in the community and learnt and listened, however they still have a long way to go. Anything small can easily trip them up and they’ll be at the bottom of the barrel again.

Historically they’ve never been too good with sounds. However certain TSW DLC’s show that they can produce good, quality content, if they put the time and effort into it.

The issue we now face is that following the port over to TSW 2, a lot of sounds are now broken, as mentioned by other users. It is now a ‘wait and see’ period to see if DTG will actually do something about it. They need to apply the time and attention they spent on GWE on all other preserved DLC, in order to bring it up to acceptable standards. Until then, it’s remains subpar.

• Like Like x 8
  30. hightower

hightower Guest

I’m pretty certain that when using the East Coast Way Class 66 on GWE, the DSD isn’t sounding consistently (or at all) meaning seemingly random brake applications.

Another one for the mixer...

• Like Like x 1
  31. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

Sound is particularly poor on Rapid Transit and Long Island Rail Road.

The traction motor sounds are missing on both, and the horn on LIRR goes quieter when you open the window.

All preserved content needs some serious attention audio wise, and I'm a little disappointed it's still not on the road map. I would prefer for DTG to address the audio problems first, and look at implementing features such as PIS once these issues are resolved.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. Callum B.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  33. londonmidland

Like the posts above, continue to state the issues in as much detail as you can; i.e what specifically is wrong on what piece of DLC, which will help the team identify and pinpoint the issues.

• Like Like x 3
  34. nuno.andradegb

nuno.andradegb Member

Hagen to Finnentrop:
    BR143 and BR185 make no noise accelerating and the horns are too quiet.
    The freight wagons are too loud. You can hear them rattling and the locomotive doesn’t make any noises.
    When you go over bridges, no noise whatsoever.

Rapid Transit:
    The train makes no noise accelerating. Impressive, since the Talent 2 in the Koln route works perfectly...

35. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

The sound problems on the preserved collection is something we are already aware of. And as stated above it is on the Roadmap. We are likely to focus on the problems where the sound quality has decreased since being carried over first.

But we would like to improve the overall sound. I appreciate you highlighting particularly problematic areas. Unfortunately I can't promise when this will be looked into or when you should expect any news but I will continue to pass along your sentiments with this as I am well aware it is something the community want.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  36. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Those are great news! Many thanks DTG Natster. I think game deserves a nice overall sound upgrade if you are able to do it. It could turn to be amazing.

By the way, you have already included a wide collection of small details (I noticed yesterday the AC4400 cab fans, changing sound with its speed). That was simply brilliant :o

Cheers

37. xblackwolf90

I'd imagine the vast majority of the community would be happy with this.

I had no real complaints about the audio in TSW2020, so for the previous audio balance to be restored would be fantastic. Any further improvements that may or may not happen further down the line would just be an added bonus :)

• Like Like x 1
  38. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I noticed the fans as well, but you can hear the loop a lot in that. Though I would say looping sound in fans is at the bottom of the priority list of sound fixes.

39. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Please don't forget about the incredible loud rain sounds from inside the cab :)
    I love rainy weather but at the moment I avoid to make any rainy runs in preserved content

• Like Like x 2
  40. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

It's not just the preserved content, the ICEs and EMUs on both the Cologne and Munich high-speed routes are very noisy in rain. This may be realistic, for all I know :).

41. londonmidland

I think this is a bug with most, if not all trains. The rain sound effects are ridiculously loud in the cab.

• Like Like x 3
  42. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

The New York subway, in both the new and old train, the fan noise is so loud, if it is like that for real, then it should be mark as health hazard for both the driver and passengers

43. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

I own a lot of routes and I've recently bought "Rapid transit" as it was half the price. I've been negatively impressed by the sound of the Talent 2, especially compared to the Talent in SKA. It almost has no sound at all, utterly disappointing.
    In my opinion one of the worst among the preserved trains.

• Like Like x 3
  44. xblackwolf90

The sounds in TSW2020 on this route were fine, but are one of the poorest in TSW2's preserved collection. They were different sounds to the Talent 2 in SKA, but were still very immersive. There was no journey mode in this route though, and the scenarios were just short runs, so it felt a little incomplete compared to the others.

Hopefully this route will have the audio balance sorted and will be fun to play again. It's a good route, but I've been avoiding it in TSW2 for this specific reason.

• Like Like x 4
  45. nuno.andradegb

nuno.andradegb Member

I also find it amazing how many problems the preserved collection has with sound.
    Bearing in mind how many people are reporting problems, how did it get released like that? Surely during testing, someone must have realized the product had issues!?

• Like Like x 2
  46. hightower

hightower Guest

Unfortunately that’s always been the DTG way. Release first (come what may) and fix later (sometimes).

The delay in the release of TSW2 was the first time they’d ever done such a thing so maybe they’re listening.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  47. OldVern

DTG are saints, compared to the mess Asobo and MS are making with FS20 (fix one thing, break three more!)… :)

• Like Like x 1
  48. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Just got an M3 in discount. Overall ok, but why is the damn wind so ridiculously loud on this one? Make traction motors louder and tune the wind down... A LOT

49. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I finally got round to trying the 146 on MSB last night. My ears have never been so insulted. I was expecting it to be as bad as the other sound issues with preserved collection but I was not prepared for what I heard. And to think somebody has already done some tweaks to it for a patch and then still allowed us to be subjected to that. Frightening.

• Like Like x 4
  50. londonmidland

Excuse the pun but it sounds awful. I don't own this DLC so could you perhaps elaborate as to why it sounds so bad? Thanks.