Train Sim World 2 - Mainline Mainstay

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Nov 16, 2020.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

TSW2_CSX_C40_8W_Social_In_game_loading_screen_coming_soon_ENG_1920x1080.jpg
    General Electric’s power-packed, 4,000-horsepower C40-8W diesel, dressed in CSX YN2 livery, is coming soon to Train Sim World 2.

Read more about it here.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 14
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

So, ain't no additional services/traffic? Meh meh meh

The amount of historical data did not obscure the lack of interesting marketing data. This, however, looks like a re-skin. I'm a little bit sad. The enthusiasm diminished :(

• Like Like x 3
  3. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

This looks awesome:
    • In Yn2 only (disappointing to have just 1 livery)
    • looking like all the numbers in the CSX model
    • and includes a 100-Ton 3-Bay Coal Hopper
    Can't wait to get it.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Challenger3985

It ain't. If you think it's the same as the AC4400CW (which is almost identical ironically), it's a completely different model altogether.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This might become a big problem with this DLC, additional traffic was well expected. Though there are pictures of 4-headed coal trains, not sure if those are in timetable now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

Wonder why there’s no cab shots? I want to see how different from the AC4400CW the cab is going to be, but maybe they’re still working on it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

As far as I know, SPG already has too many services compared to real life, so no surprise there.

8. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

They all look the same to me these locos

• Like Like x 10
  9. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

That's a scenario

10. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It looks very good! I can't wait!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

It does look nice can't wait to get it myself.

• Like Like x 4
  12. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Can someone send help? I have the urge to buy the C-40 even though I don't play SPG a lot.
    Obviously I'm joking here about the help part but the loco looks nice. I just wish it had a lot of weathering since the loco isn't exactly new

13. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

A reskin of what exactly? The only Dash 8's are in TS. Must be new.
    As for services, " fully integrated " means selectable in the timetable and extra AI I suppose. I'm not sure SPG needs more Cumberland to Rockwood runs. More traffic certainly and more coal loading / unloading perhaps, which the scenarios may provide. I would have liked more and different rolling stock and a second livery too but if the locomotive is high quality, I'll be happy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but there are now only two trains (more services as it's split) going to and from mines. This DLC could definitely improve this part of the game, have 2-3 trains for each mine. If might be a bit unrealistic, but it would add a lot of gameplay.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Yeah US Locos sucks, not worth any money to spend when you have already Freight Locos on this route

• Like Like x 4
  16. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

We got it it sucks and German trains are better bla-bla-bla just stop commenting here if you hate it and you don’t have any constructive comment for Christ sake

• Like Like x 14
  17. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Honestly, slightly disappointed in the announcement. We are only getting this in the YN2 livery, and not a YN3/b as well, and the only new rolling stock is a coal hopper....

Was really hoping at least 2 liverys and other types of rolling stock....

• Like Like x 3
  18. Blacknred81

Well, blame GE for not making any major visual changes between the Dash 8-40CW and the current ET44s.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Challenger3985

Agreed. Posting negative opinions (and liking what you want) about a positive content for others is getting ridiculous.

• Like Like x 15
  20. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

I mean you can have your own opinion which can be positive or negative but on every us themed threads he constantly say that us trains sucks I don’t see the point he only want German trains well he’s not lucky it’s Train Sim World not Germain train Sim World

• Like Like x 12
  21. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I'm happy, but ... They could have smuggled in more content. This article is not very encouraging. What else could they do? Like the BR 204 - some kind of railway siding, whatever.
    It looks like a mod for the AC4400. That's exactly what I'm thinking :)
    Small but disappointing for me. The model itself is probably OK.

• Like Like x 1
  22. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

It definitely seems like a German train simulator, with all the German content coming out and announced lately. So you don’t have a right to complain when we finally get a train we want, for the US.

• Like Like x 12
  23. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I am excited for this release! The model looks great, better than the Miami Dash-8 in TS. I can't wait to see some cab shots.

I am disappointed it only comes with the 3-bay hoppers (finally some coal hoppers!) and one livery. I was hoping for the YN3b livery too (and a Conrail livery if we got the ex Conrail version), as the Dash-8s look sharp in it. I also wanted to see some more freight cars like the centerbeams and coilcars that were lost with the GP40-2.
    I hope we didn't get the same horn as the previous three CSX locos.

Can't wait to do a Conrail reskin for this!!!

• Like Like x 4
  24. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

It could've also been the old cab version or both, so you could choose your "driving style",

• Like Like x 2
  25. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Therefore, I would expect more when we already have such a holiday :)
    I had a hard time complaining about the US DLC - I own almost everything for Run 8 ... :D

26. ngc427

ngc427 Active Member

I get how people can hate US routes and whatever - we all have our different preferences - but the useless bashing I've seen in this thread accomplishes nothing.

An interesting take, considering that the 363 just released a few weeks ago. Also, I'm aware that that is the only freight locomotive for Germany in TSW 2 at the moment, so you would be opposed to future German freight locomotives being added because there's already a freight locomotive?

Read the article. They clearly said that "the locomotive is fully integrated into Sand Patch’s excellent selection of timetabled services.", meaning it has additional services and traffic added to the route.

Do some research outside of just looking at it from in-game screenshots. I've seen this argument brought up a thousand times, that all US locomotives look the same, yet there's a simple solution: do some research before stating your opinion. You'll find VERY quickly that yes, they are very similar with some major design aspects, but outside of that locomotives are entirely different. The most basic of research will show you that the AC4400CW and C40-8W are very different, internally and externally.

I get that other countries want representation in TSW 2, and that's perfectly fine, but its just plain hypocritical to see the very people wanting more representation bashing US locomotives and routes for just existing. TSW is practically becoming Train Sim Germany, yet some people come on here to be sore winners and bash anyone else who has an opinion that isn't pro-German content, which is just pathetic and cowardly. Keep in mind that your least favorite release is someone else's favorite, and vice versa. Nobody is forcing you to buy any DLC that DTG releases, let alone forcing you to even think about it.

TL;DR, Your country isn't the only country, keep your mind open to other countries viewpoints.

I will agree though, I had more hopes for the C40-8W. The single YN2 paint scheme is a little bit disappointing, considering the several paint schemes that CSX has. There's also a strong possibility that they recycled the sounds from the AC4400CW to use on the C40-8W, which would be very disappointing to hear. On a more positive note, I like the addition of a new coal hopper to use on the route and the expansion of coal services to give more variety of things to run. I also noticed that DTG finally put a DID panel into the Dash 8, as it wasn't present in the AC4400CW even though it should be. Going off of a small peek from one of the screenshots, it looks like they also got the correct analog gauge control stands correct, and I like the possibility of having a traditional mechanical hump control for coal loading. All-in-all, I'm still very excited and definitely pre-ordering it, as I'm a sucker for GE widecabs in train sims.

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Are you sure? Fully integrated as a substitute? The other DLCs clearly mention additional traffic (if it is). Hence my fears.
    Oh, Man :)
    I mean, almost 100%.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  28. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

By your logic I could say this
    German loco's suck Why do we need a German Diesel when we already have 2 of them?
    Obviously I don't believe this

• Like Like x 2
  29. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

This train no longer runs on the csx fleet or this route anymore in real life since they were retired from CSX service. I won even be buying this train since I dont use Sand Patch Grade and since Iḿ not a fan of freight routes. We need more American Passenger routes like The MTA Metro-North Railroad, NJ Transit, Amtrak or even more lines to the MTA Long Island Railroad

• Like Like x 2
  30. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

We could make an argument that German locos suck as well. It seems Train Sim World is becoming Train Sim Germany with the butt load of German content and a lack of American routes

• Like Like x 4
  31. ngc427

ngc427 Active Member

I did see that, and for some reason I forgot to mention it, my bad. I think DTG are going to substitute in the C40-8W to replace some AC4400 services, as there are a lot of services for the AC4400 that could be split up among locomotives. I'm personally fine with a substitute though, as one person already mentioned, there are already a surplus of services on the route so I don't see any harm in just swapping some out.

• Like Like x 8
  32. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure we could design those liveries in the livery editor, maybe that was DTG’s plan in the first place to get us using the livery editor haha. I really wish we get a different horn too, the current one sounds, lame.:(

• Like Like x 3
  33. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I really like everything. I was just hoping for more liveries, new cars. I have no complaints against the Dash-8. I would love to see the interiors and listen to the sounds :)

• Like Like x 4
  34. JGRudnick

Correction: Somewhere around half to two-thirds of CSX's C40-8Ws have been sold. The other 100 or so are in storage. At the moment, there is exactly one out pulling trains for CSX.

• Like Like x 7
  35. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

It is funny when people say Dash 8 looks like the AC4400, "all hail the german trains", when german 146.2, 185.2 and 185.5 basically are the same loco as well visually with minor differences so that can hardly be an argument. Oh and 425 and 423 look very alike as well and so do the three dostos. To further this point, even british trains have that "issue" with the br 45 sharing visually alot with 37 and 40.
    How about we agree that the "lookalike" argument is not an argument at all?

That being said I won't buy this loco early on, since I rarely play Sandpatch due to time constraints (usually only shunting services which are great) but surely will add it sooner or later to my collection via sale.

I am very happy for my American fellas here who really had to hold out for new content though. At the same time you can't say it is a german train simulator when quantity wise english and german are on par. Plus the additional Locos by TSG are not german bias from dovetail, no one stops an american group of modelers/producers to do their own american stuff as third party creator like TSG does now.

• Like Like x 14
  36. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

4000 hp + 16 cylinders + predessor of the AC 4400 CW + the 3 bay 100 tonnes open coal car = I like it

• Like Like x 4
  37. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Always will welcome add ons for SPG and this looks fantastic and happy to have a new coal freight car. Also this...
    • C40-8W: Snow Boarding: Complete the C40-8W Scenario 'Slippy Descent'

• Like Like x 2
  38. JGRudnick

Hmm, the name makes it sound like that will be a good scenario! (Honestly though, I've only ever played 1 scenario on SPG :|)

• Like Like x 4
  39. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Same! Being on console. I was really excited to finally jump into the scenarios but sadly a lot of them you can’t complete because of bugs. A lot of those bug fixes are in the works on the roadmap so I’ve decided to wait until then. Slippy decent and snowboarding make it sound like we are going to be driving a very long and heavy train down a steep hill.

• Like Like x 1
  40. breblimator

breblimator Guest

They can all be done. Sometimes it's hard - bugs - true.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I would be most interested to see the cab and hear the sounds. The former would be the greatest difference in driving experience and the latter needs to be vastly improved over the unrealistic AC4400CW sounds if I am to even consider it. The texturing and weathering looks nice, though.

• Like Like x 7
  42. Anthony Pecoraro

DTG recorded an Amtrak Dash 8, so hopefully they used those sounds on this.

• Like Like x 3
  43. Callum B.

Hopefully not the prime mover sounds. The P32-BWH is a 12-cylinder, but the C40-8W is a 16-cylinder.

• Like Like x 6
  44. Blacknred81

Hopefully the horn is better too.

• Like Like x 5
  45. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

First I just want to say: to me the German electric locos all look the same to me (minus the two toaster looking ones, the 143 and 155, I think???). EMD and GE have maintained a certain design outside for the most part, but many things are different, as is mostly the same with other similar looking content. Don't judge a book by its cover...

Anyway, I'm kind of excited. Personally I still wish we had an ES44 as that's like 95% of what CSX runs these days, but I'll take a new freight loco. The one livery is kind of disappointing, especially considering I prefer the all blue CSX livery over the ones with grey, but I do like the weathered look it includes (at least it looks that way from the screenshot).

My big question is: Does this use the same atrocious 7FDL engine sounds as already used by the AC4400? Because if so, that's a huge disappointment and will persuade me away from possibly getting this. And if it doesn't and you've recorded a new set, assuming they come out better, I really hope you move them over to the AC4400 to improve that.

• Like Like x 6
  46. JGRudnick

On one of the livestreams, Adam mentioned waiting for an all NA content release to release bug fixes. Hopefully that will come with the C40-8W.

47. Anthony Pecoraro

Does that make much of a difference?

48. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I mean you certainly hear it if a car has more cylinders, so you would estimate to hear a difference if a train has 12 or 16 cylinders...

49. Callum B.

Yes, it does.

50. Anthony Pecoraro

It would be good enough though, considering the AC4400CW...

• Like Like x 1