PlayStation Next Gen! Ps4 Version And Ps5 Version

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by helderbrincolas, Nov 12, 2020.

1. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

So the Next Gen has arrived! I would like to make this suggestion. Not all people can affoard the new PS5 , so can't DTG keep producing content to PS4 like they do now and also make a PS5 version taking advantage of the powerfull next gen console?!

• Like Like x 2
  2. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

They’ll always make contents to TSW2 for PS4 as the PS5 version for the moment isn’t planned, you can play on PS5 as backward compatibility. Obviously TSW3 will be for the current gen ( keep in mind that even if the PS4 is from the previous gen they will be a lot of releases until 2022 at least )

• Like Like x 1
  3. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

As it stands we have no plans or updates regarding next generation consoles right now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. tubefan1973

tubefan1973 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we get that, but can you ask Mike for a Next-Gen Stream (to showcase both TSW2 and the consoles) and a spec sheet that say YOU GET 60FPS!

• Like Like x 2
  5. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Once we are able to stream the new consoles I don't doubt that we will.

• Like Like x 3
  6. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

I personally hope they don't think and plan about next gen in next 8-12 months yet.
    Mostly because I can't afford my tech upgrade and more they squeeze out PS4, the better will the product be when they eventually move on to PS5 and drop PS4.
    I hope it doesn't happen before 2022, August.

• Like Like x 1
  7. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

My suggestion is to make a PS5 version and also continuing producing to PS4 like they do know

• Like Like x 2
  8. tubefan1973

so you are saying hold back other people cos you dont have next gen, how preposterous

• Like Like x 5
  9. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

They could just develop for both, Sony wants devs to keep supporting PS4 for the next 1-2 years. I don’t think it’s good to hold back Next Gen though, especially when it’s capable of much, much more.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kennyjamesscott

Yes and no. Don't just take it as you did, I voiced my own opinion.
    You are the one who puts the words in my mouth over here and that's rude.

11. kennyjamesscott

I hope they don't go down that route. Eventually they have to go on PS5 as next year PS4 pretty much becomes obsolete.
    Thou rushing it on PS5 is not the best option. So I think there might be something in between meanwhile before they fully change for PS5.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

We have time are both PS4 and XBO still get games until 2022

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maxrom

Maxrom Active Member

Just because the PS5 is soon to be widely available, doesn't mean the PS4 is dead - far from it, bearing in mind the millions of people that have PS4, and won't be spending on a PS5 any time soon. Sony and DTG know this too. I doubt very much PS4 will be abandoned by DTG by the end of the year for example, that would make zero financial sense.

It seems that TSW2 runs better on the PS5 with seemingly no effort required for DTG (better fps, smoother gameplay), so if you do have a PS5, you will benefit immediately without a specific PS5 version. Therefore, I think in the short term DTG need to stay focused on delivering the promise of getting current gen sorted, which will serve as a much better foundation for PS5 versions later. Also, by the time that current gen work is done, I expect more PS4 players may have opted to upgrade, so commercially for DTG there may a big enough PS5 player base in 6 to 12 months to warrant specific PS5 additions. TSW2 is a niche product, so they need a lot of PS5 users who also happen to like trains to make it viable. Also, bear in mind that DTG don't have the number of staff needed to fully support one edition of TSW2, let alone two.

If PS5 is getting better performance from TSW2 without any updates, what is it that PS5 users are expecting to get exactly from a PS5 specific release? Higher res textures for sure, maybe slightly better detailed visuals, but this is likely to come in the form of unannounced expansions. I doubt very much they'll update all the current content, so short term, I'm not sure what this hoped for PS5 specific edition is expected to contain that will help justify a PS5 purchase. I'd be surprised if we see anything within 6 months, maybe even a year, that's worth getting too excited about.

• Like Like x 5
  14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Not really that more preposterous than people suggesting a PS5 version because they got a PS5 one nanosecond after it was released. PS5 owners can already see big improvements in performance and that should be enough for them for now, the greedy so and so’s.

• Like Like x 5
  15. tubefan1973

err, not really, the HMA layers DO exist

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That is an isolated case that is the fault of the developer’s over-ambition, but not a reason for them to do a full PS5 version of the entire game to rectify it. They need to rectify it across the board. They also need to improve the performance of the game on all platforms as it isn’t great anywhere, compared with TSW2020. This is not the time to be making extra versions of the game for a small number of players when all players need all of their attention to fix the poor performance on the platforms they already release on. PS5 early adopters will have to wait like the rest of us for those layers.

17. tubefan1973

Right, you misunderstood me, it is WHOLEY possible for Microsoft and Sony to send updates to certain platforms (like what i did there) so this is DTGs wrong doing, they just need to say to the SI to Add this to A and not to B

• Like Like x 1
  18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Nice pun. If updates can be sent to different machines DTG still have to develop the two versions and then keep supporting those two versions for all future updates. They don’t have the resources to keep up with multiple versions of the game, they can barely keep up with one per platform (same pun). So it’s not really a case of what’s technically possible, it’s what they can reasonably do. They may put a system in for switching the HMA layers on and off as a temporary or permanent fix for that one issue but all console players will get it.

19. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

This is just a theory, but TSW2 is a gen4 game, it is only available on gen5 consoles via backwards compatibility. Therefore when it receives certification from Sony or Microsoft, it is still as a gen4 game. I'd be surprised if Sony or Microsoft would approve patches for a gen4 game that only provided functionality on gen5 consoles. Improved performance is one thing, allowing publishers to add functionality to a game for only some users is quite another. Even from a standard consumer rights perspective, buying a PS4 game would lead you to expect all the features in that game were playable on a PS4.

The above is probably why big publishers are releasing gen5 versions of their games available at no extra cost to those who buy the gen4 version, because it is the only way to be sure that one day soon you can drop support for the PS4 version.

I'd say for now, it's better to root for DTG improving the game across the board, than pin your hopes on gen5 specific updates, because when they do come they will probably spell the end for PS4 support.

• Like Like x 2
  20. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Anyone who already has a PS5 outside the UK played TSW2 yet? Wondered if the stutters are a thing of the past, especially on Bakerloo. Had a look on YouTube but couldn’t see anything

21. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Any PS4 game released a few months before the PS5's launch has to be fully compatible with the PS5. It is very likely TSW2 is one of those games. PS4 games can receive PS5-only updates, as is the case with No Man's Sky. In theory, DTG can create further optimisations for the PS5, such as faster loading times* and better graphics which cannot be used on PS4.

That said, TSW running on PS5 is already quite a good experience, so I think that DTG should try to optimise the PS4 version first (because it doesn't run that well sometimes), then create PS5-only updates. I don't think TSW2 should become a PS5-only game for year or two, despite the massive sales of the PS5 (there were more pre-orders of it than all PS4 sales in the first 6/12 weeks).

• Like Like x 1
  22. flickyhecky

flickyhecky Active Member

My PS5 is arriving tomorrow (a day early here in the UK) TSW was always going to be one of the first games I try out on it.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

You're lucky. 1 of my pre-orders is arriving Thursday and the other 2 I have to go pick up (only 1 PS5 is for me).
    I can't wait to see the improvement in frame rates for games.

24. BigH

BigH Active Member

Mine should be ready for pickup on Thursday, so i might do some test driving at the weekend.

25. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Do you reckon we will be able to just buy one this week? I’ve now decided I’ll get one if I can. Or, will new batches of them just disappear?

26. BigH

BigH Active Member

In Germany there won´t be any PS5s being sold in shops. At least not offically. Only Pre-Orders are to be collected.
    A new batch is supposed to arrive around christmas. You might get lucky if people don´t pickup their pre-orders.

27. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Limited stock will be available on release day from retailers but online orders only for delivery or click and collect (due to covid regulations). If the pre-orders are anything to go by, they'll sell out in minutes. No one knows exactly when retailers will put the new stock up for sale though (I think Amazon UK said 12pm or noon).

28. BigH

BigH Active Member

19.11., 13:00 Uhr, which would be 12pm UK time. I just got a text message.
    Be quick and good luck.

• Like Like x 1