List Of Top 23 Route Suggestions For Tsw 2

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Nov 17, 2020.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

For all of you that haven’t heard or watched the recent GWE stream, Sam announced the top 23 rankings of routes which were suggested by the community. 23 to 1, from least popular to most popular. Some of the suggestions are quite vague and random, as well as already released. I will compile the list below.

DISCLAIMER: This list does not automatically mean these routes will make it into TSW 2, or the more popular routes will come before the less popular ones. It’s simply just a list compiled from the amount of requests from the community.

23. Any Swiss/Austrian route. Cajon Pass. London - Edinburgh. Any Indian Route. North Wales Coastal. The Orient Express. Severn Valley Railway.
    22. Fife Circle, Great Eastern Mainline (GEML). Horseshoe Curve. The Hudson Line. Isle of Wight.
    21. Settle - Carlisle. A Eurostar route. London - Peterborough.
    20. Tyne & Wear Metro. Any French Route. Anything Chicago. Cambrian Coast Line.
    19. Any route involving Berlin. LGV. MerseyRail. Any route in New Zealand.
    18. Any Norfolk Southern route. London - Norwich. LIRR (extension). Gotthard line.
    17. Any Scottish route. Sherman Hill.
    16. Marias Pass.
    15. Any Canadian Route. South Western Mainline (SWML). West Highland Line.
    14. Any Japanese route.
    13. Any Italian route.
    12. London - Brighton.
    11. Rivera Line. NEC. London - Birmingham.
    10. Metro North.
    9. New York City Subway. Midland Mainline. Edinburgh - Glasgow.
    8. London - Portsmouth.
    7. Pacific Surfliner.
    6. Liverpool to Manchester
    5. Any Dutch route.
    4. Any London Underground route.
    3. Any Australian route.
    2. The ECML
    1. The WCML

• Like Like x 15
    • Helpful Helpful x 8
  2. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

I've been around on these forums for some time now, yet finding Australia so widely requested still surprises me. Not that anything's wrong with that! Myself, I'm rooting for some Italian lines!

• Like Like x 5
  3. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

I’m gonna suggest Pacific Surfliner and NEC 10,000 times to tip the scales

• Like Like x 1
  4. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Unsurprising to me, as Australia has not even been featured in TS20xx, but they are a sizeable portion of the English-speaking train simulation community.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  5. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Australia has some awesome routes, but it would have to be an urban one.
    The outback scenery makes Sandpatch seem small condensed and highly detailed.
    In the immortal words of an awestruck british tommy “miles and miles of sh!t coloured bugger all”

• Like Like x 7
  6. hightower

hightower Guest

I find it slightly depressing that people are asking for the exact same things done in the original Train Sim.

Why only Liverpool to Manchester, or Glasgow to Edinburgh? These routes could be much more ambitious. Or we could have Edinburgh - Inverness (or further), or Glasgow to any number of places in Scotland.

From a UK point of view there is so much of the network that hasn’t ever been touched, a lot of it very scenic and interesting. I really hope to see a bit of out-of-the-box thinking from DTG. If the customers don’t do the same though, then why should DTG bother?

One area they could start with is Northern England. Manchester - Hull? Manchester Airport. The whole West Yorkshire conurbation. The Midland Mainline from the North. The Chiltern Mainline. The Cotswold line. Cambridgeshire, Norfolk. The list is endless.

Please do something different, not just rehashes of what we’ve already spent years playing. Yes bring those same routes, but not only those routes.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 14
  7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I agree. There are many Australian players and I would be very interested in lines around the major cities. Not something like the Ghan which is far too long but suburban Sydney or Melbourne, for instance.
    I will also continue to lobby for The Racetrack ( yes I know about the licensing problems) or something around the Chicago area.

8. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I’m surprised there aren’t more German ones, even though Germany is well represented.

Frankfurt/Mannheim-Karlsruhe would be a delight in TSW2!

• Like Like x 5
  9. hightower

hightower Guest

I’d also like to see DTG adopt a bit of a Just Trains approach, with some routes being modular. Take on the long journeys, but release the sections as separate DLC that will eventually form the full route.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
  10. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

Aww I am disappointed the c2c (London, Tilbury and Southend) does not feature.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Callum B.

I do hope that this was their original intention with RSN and RRO, even if it did not pan out. I would like to see this kind of route integration in the future, but I know that for now the limitations include integrating the timetable and ensuring memory usage stays reasonable.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

DTG is an English company and most of the employees are probably only English speakers, so they would only read suggestions in English, so the list will be fairly biased towards English speakers suggestions. I think the Germans have their own train forums that they use and DTG probably didn't look at suggestions there (I doubt they would get their translators just to look up suggestions in another language)

• Like Like x 2
  13. hightower

hightower Guest

If it can be done is TS there’s not really an excuse. I actually think the biggest challenge DTG will face is storage space on consoles. The game is massive already, and it will just grow and grow and grow.

Everyone said long routes on TS couldn’t be done, yet we’re almost at the point where we will have Euston - Glasgow (via Birmingham) and Kings Cross - Edinburgh including the section from Wakefield to York via Leeds. We’ve got a massive swathe of the Scottish network too.

If these new techniques work on the TGV route (and they will refine it with time) then surely this HAS to be the way to take the game. It would be the ultimate model train set.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2020
  14. Callum B.

I think that memory usage should not be an issue going forward, and neither should storage space* if the game is integrating two existing paks together. However, like I said, the difficulty here is not merging the routes themselves (this has already been done by modders and confirmed by Matt P.), but rather figuring out how to seamlessly merge the timetables together. 24 hour timetables are not a problem to solve in TS classic.

* The game in general could use some slimming down in file sizes, especially patch sizes, but I don't think merging routes would create any more of a storage problem than already exists.

• Like Like x 1
  15. hightower

hightower Guest

I have faith, they’ll figure it out I’m sure :)

16. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Nothing scandinavian? I would love any scandinavian route, preferably a swedish one ;) Southern part of "swedish WCML" (Västkustbanan) Malmö-Lund-Helsingborg or maybe lovely Lysekilsbanan in Värmland, there are so many possibilities <3 Yes, I know this is not suggestion part of the forum, but as 35 years old these are only dreams I have right now ;)

• Like Like x 3
  17. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Modular works for me, Paddington - Neyland green diesel era.

Or single section Swansea High St - Neyland, same era (West Wales ML).

18. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: I am incredibly biased, since I am a Dutch citizen and study in the Aviation and Railway world.
    I think The Netherlands is criminally ill represented in train simulation. There are some good freeware routes for TS20XX, but nothing in TSW. The Dutch have some really awesome and unique rolling stock (predominantly EMUs), and a really good safety system. I think a route such as Amsterdam-Den Helder would offer a lot of gameplay and DLC opportunities. Or Amsterdam-Utrecht, or the HSL (Amsterdam-Schiphol-Rotterdam). We have one of the busiest railroads in the world, and a sh*t ton of footage and information available, yet DTG seems allergic to Dutch content, eventhough I think it would sell so well due to their Dutch share of customers, and the unique nature of the routes and rolling stock etc. DTG plz fix![​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  19. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Nice to see NYC Subway and London Underground in the top 10.

20. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Here in Australia we have tons of interesting routes and a deep history of fantastic DMU/EMU/Locos....in fact, I have one as my avatar :)

The main reason it is so often requested (apart from the reason above); is that we have been long neglected in the Train Simulation genre. The closest we have gotten to something half way decent is via Auran's Trainz series (primarily because Auran are Australian based); but that is Trainz :(

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Glad to see Merseyrail on the list, which means I’m not the only one who wants it. I think having the Northern/Wirral lines and the 507/508 and 777 in play would be a great addition to TSW 2. It holds a special place in my memories, travelling on it with my Grandad as a kid. I loved buses and trains then (still do obviously), so we’d get the bus to Bootle then the Merseyrail train to the city centre then walk to the ferry. Great fun days out. Happy memories.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Nice to also see the Tyne & Wear Metro on there, but I'll eat my hat if Nexus even allow it to be built.

23. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

DTG will take little notice of a lot of what’s on the list with regards to what they set out to make. They are much more likely to take notice of a well presented route suggestion on the forum that’s in keeping with the possibilities of TSW than they are a hundred requests for something impractical on social media. Quality and reality over quantity. Much more weight will be given to what they themselves want, what’s feasible and what licenses and source material they have or can get hold of. Sam said they only really use the popularity list when deciding between some evenly matched possibilities they already have. There’s bound to be some overlap between what’s good and what’s popular so that’s where the list comes in.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I'd take slight issue with that. By publicly discussing the list on the stream (all that was missing was a fanfare), he was kind of encouraging this kind of discussion and giving some weight to the choices. Yes, he said it was a "tie-breaker" only, but that in itself is a reason for people to lobby for their favorite route. So I think DTG will take more than "a little notice".

• Like Like x 2
  25. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Also to note that a few items on the list wouldn't be possible due to a few licenses (Marias Pass and Pacific Surfliner come to mind due to BNSF, Cajon might get a pass if the Palmdale Cutoff and West Colton Yard is included)

• Like Like x 2
  26. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

There aren't many on that list that I wouldn't buy to be honest. Non-electric US stuff basically.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I would be interested to see a comparison of the file size and memory requirements of any route that currently has a TS and TSW version. The LGV when it comes out will be a good gauge. My prior would be that the requirements are vastly higher for TSW and that is why it has shorter versions of the route than TS and extensions and merges are more of an issue than in the older game.

It is amazing to think that the ECML and WCML are almost driveable in one on TS, but I suspect the hardware is an issue currently as well as the time needed for the extra attention to detail in TSW.

The point above about the timetables matching is also good, but somewhere else there was a comment about services where you just get off and they magically drive off the edge of the map, these ones are already in the timetable then and an extension just lets you drive these instead of the AI who currently bring the trains into and out of the edge of the map.

28. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The point I was trying to make was that just the overall number of requests for any particular route won’t have much weight when they are deciding what to look at but they will still take notice of good route suggestions they read here, or elsewhere. They can’t possibly know every suitable route so a detailed description in a route suggestion may get them to check out a route more than they would by seeing loads of different people asking for a famous route with one sentence. With their wealth of knowledge and experience they will know quite a lot about the more obvious routes already and which ones would be suitable, and indeed some of those will be both popular and good for TSW. Some routes that are requested over and over will have already been discounted from ever being made and there will be routes that aren’t even close to the 50+ routes listed here that will get made because they are more suitable. I wouldn’t want to put anyone off making suggestions or supporting anybody else’s suggestion but the quality of suggestions is more important than sheer numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  29. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I can keep dreaming of a Japanese route although I am quite sure we might never see one on TSW2. I do hope somebody comes out with one that has the immersion and graphics like TSW2. :(

• Like Like x 5
  30. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Some of the suburban routes around Sydney both north and south are surprisingly scenic, if the MSTS versions and YT clips of the real thing are anything to go by. You also have that steeply graded single track line from Unanderra (Sp) to Moss Vale. The problem with any Australian route is going to be hooking up with a local associate to get detailed information or knowledge. There is only so much you can do from 12,000 miles away, as I found when I did a little route based on the Lithgow area for Railworks!

• Like Like x 2
  31. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

It will be very interesting to vote on the route preferences in the topic. Make a list of routes with parameters 50-100 miles (metro routes are separate), each forum member has three voting rights, and voting, and administer this topic constantly with the addition of the list of routes and additional voting rights.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

As a European, I'd throw all my money on them for the Blue Mountains. Here goes some hope with it being so up on the list.

• Like Like x 2
  33. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Check this
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/list-of-most-suggested-routes-from-livestream.31406/

Posted a bit before you did. Shame DTG didn't post a list themselves, so the community needs to do it, and apparently because you missed a list already made, had to do it again.

34. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

We did mention in the stream that you guys are welcome to post the list yourselves and we won't remove it.
    However we don't want to post it ourselves and potentially give users who didn't watch the stream the impression that this list is an official promise that's what's on it will guarantee it comes to the game.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

DTG Natster I understand that, but seeing as people put effort in making these lists, it's a shame the lists go unnoticed and people doing work that already has been done before. I hope the current lists can go somewhere they aren't overlooked as easily, before someone else spends time to make yet another list.

• Like Like x 1
  36. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

So are all these route suggestions to be set in the current period? The vast majority of TS1 routes were set "post privatisation", we had a handful of steam routes and a couple of BR blue routes, even Liverpool to Manchester and WCML over Shap which had BR liveried stock were laid out as modern routes.

Quite frankly whilst I enjoy driving anything, as I enjoy the experience, personally I hope we don't get a repeat of that. For me the real beauty of a simulator is the ability to recreate something long lost, pottering along a branch line in a Pannier tank, taking 12 carriages over the south Devon banks in a Castle, hauling a heavy oil train in your class 37, not necessarily something you can see at the end of your road!

We had two BR blue routes for TSW which caused some gnashing of teeth as they weren't modern, presumably by people who never got into TS1 or were selfishly happy as their interests were catered for previously.

I just hope that whatever direction TSW goes in route wise, we have a balanced variety of routes. Otherwise I will do what I did with TS1 and stop purchasing routes and I suspect I won't be the only one.

We keep hearing how modern routes sell the best, maybe that is true but you look at the model railway scene, there are a huge variety of routes at exhibitions, many of the older period routes are operated by young people, so I don't believe it is an age thing. Most of the steam engine developers for TS1 are younger than I.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  37. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

This is pretty much the reason I'm happy to see several non UK/US/DE routes being suggested. I hope DTG will be looking outside of the familiar UK/US/DE, because I've seen plenty of those three countries in Train Simulator.

• Like Like x 3
  38. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Perhaps one of the moderators could pin this thread to the top of the page, so it doesn't get lost?

• Like Like x 1
  39. theorganist

Well yes, I would want to see more parts of the world included. I am glad we are getting the first French and Swiss routes. It would be good to see some historic German routes too as they are all heavily balanced towards modern day.

40. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

Gutted Cornwall didnt make the list...:(

• Like Like x 1
  41. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I've already reported both our topics to suggest moving/merging/pinning, but it seems they don't want to do it.

42. theorganist

I didn't know there was a list until I heard it mentioned on a stream the other day. I obviously have not been looking/reading in the right places!

Hopefully they won't just take this list into account otherwise it will be a repeat of TS1!

• Like Like x 1
  43. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

It doesn't even have a French line !!

Okay, we are going to have the LGV MED, but a transilien line would have been really nice.
    An Indian, Spanish, or Russian line too, in short again and again English routes mostly on this list .....

• Like Like x 1
  44. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it seems that's what the youngsters want. I posted on the ATS FB Group that I'd suggested Newport to Hereford at the latter end of BR loco hauled service period and got roundly flamed by some whippersnapper, " We don't want more old trains and routes."

I know by today's standards even traction like the Class 66 or Class 158 could be regarded as vintage, but some of us want a bit more than push to go, push to stop operation with some plastic unit. The glimmer of hope was the comment made a little while ago on here regarding DTG's choice of Bakerloo over one of the other contemporary tube lines - precisely because the latter are largely ATO push button outfits.

• Like Like x 3
  45. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

Maybe faaar in future we will see some russian route, like Orsk - Orenburg, or Moskow - St. Petersburg)
    My personal photos for example: IMG_20201016_145248.jpg
    IMG_20201016_144952.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  46. theorganist

We are doomed then, maybe NTP and TVL will be the only chance of something historic and blue we get. At least in TS1 you can create period scenarios on routes set in more modern periods, as long as the route hasn't changed too much.

What will train simulators be like in 40 years if we move to a more automated railway! Maybe it is different in the model railway world but I have been at exhibitions where the older folk are on the modern routes and younger folk are on the older period routes, also if you go to somewhere like the SVR there are lots of young volunteers. A very small sample set but I know a couple of young railway enthusiasts and they aren't too interested in todays railways.

I have a horrible fear that when we eventually see steam it will be, steam as it is today, i.e. pottering along a preserved route or the odd rail tour and the chance of recreating a 1950's summer Saturday along the Dawlish sea wall will be lost. At least that can be done in TS1 despite the dodgy signals!

• Like Like x 3
  47. BigMountain555

Just took a look at the route listing in Steam. Not sure how long Train Simulator has been around (2009?) but after all these years, I see 150 routes in Steam of which 21% are German, 38% UK, 21% US, and the rest of the world 18%. The rest of the world consists of only 10 countries of which 3 are in Europe. After all those years, I can't feel optimistic about seeing different countries.

As for Train Sim World, as a comparatively young product, there are 18 routes (including the one in TSW that will not be preserved). These are split between 4 countries: Germany 6, USA 4, UK 7, Canada 1. Soon enough we shall add France to that list and Switzerland I believe.

I do hope that by the time Train Sim World is as old as Train Simulator, they have a much wider variety of routes.

Disclaimer: Since I am in Canada, Steam will not show me certain US routes such as anything BSNF-related.

I would LOVE to see more Japanese routes (modern for once), Italy, Russia, Spain, India, Kenya, etc.

Maybe a voting system would be good. Of course, it will be subject to what DTG can actually produce. We know that during the pandemic they are limited in what they can do as they cannot travel and do the research or whatever goes into route planning.

That being said, I do enjoy the German routes. It all depends on what I am in the mood for. I find the US freight routes to be graphically-stunning due to the appearance of the locomotives. They look fantastic in TSW2. Overall, I enjoy TSW2 and look forward to being surprised by new route announcements. Happy simming!

• Like Like x 2
  48. BigMountain555

I would totally love to get a Russian route! I have watched videos on YouTube of trains in Russia. I love it!

• Like Like x 2
  49. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

They may find that the Australians would love some representation in simulation, and other operators as UK ones tend to be very sticky with their branding; rightly so the amount of bad press UK operators get

• Like Like x 1
  50. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

People may bemoan the fact that routes are currently based on a few countries at the moment.
    It’s just much of the initial research and building of scenic items have already been done.
    A completely new route will involve a lot more work when travel is already heavily restricted.

I personally would like to some Italian routes.
    Lots of awesome scenery.

• Like Like x 3