Tsw 2 Preserved Content Sound Issues

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

In slow speeds the loco sounds somewhat similar to TSW1 version of it, but when you get to higher speed (from about 60 km/h), let alone 160 km/h, it starts to continuously whine in very high tones, nothing else. It is unbearable to drive a whole line in it as it just wheezes and wheezes.

2. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Regarding preserved collection as a whole, I fear that these fixes will take months to be resolved, as GWE took 'extra long'. The sound fixes really should have been seen to simultaneously when the ports were happening, as they are now at the back of a queue.

It would've meant slower releases of preserved content but at least they would've sound decent upon delivery. Sound fixes NEEDS to be the number one priority at this moment in time, as these issues just aren't acceptable.

• Like Like x 9
  3. londonmidland

I see what you mean. The same happens with the 377 at high speeds. There's this continuous whine/screech/whistle, almost sounds like a faint continuous wheel flange sound, and it's really off putting driving it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

londonmidland I couldn't express it better. As far as I remember (avoiding MSB at the moment because of the sound) the loco is extreme high pitched without "additional driving sounds" and staying in an "hurtful loop" early on

• Like Like x 3
  5. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I would love to see someone suffer through this on a stream, maybe that would move it up the list of priorities.

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The sounds that are there are jerky and screechy and highly unpleasant to the ear and then there seems to be sounds missing. In TSW2020 there was a very loud fan noise in the cab that’s not really there now and I don’t recall any ear-piercing high pitched scratchy screeching going on inside or out back then.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

The BR146 is undrivable in TSW2 - and the fact that it's layered into nearly every DB route should give it priority as a fix really.

1- If you leave the windows closed there are no audible run or auxiliary sounds. The traction motor sound overwhelms; unbelievable loud with an audible hiccup everytime a scenery tile loads. At 140kph+ its like tinnitus.
    2- If you open a window the motor traction sound gets even louder, but the run and auxiliary sounds can be just about heard.

In conclusion:

The cab occlusion is broken as it cuts all sounds out except for the traction motors when the windows are closed. The same goes for the BR442 Talent and BR143.
    The sounds on the 146 need some serious rebalancing, raise the run and aux sound volume, re-model the nasty motor sounds.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
  8. nuno.andradegb

nuno.andradegb Member

that’s the thing, I haven’t seen them playing the broken products in the streams. In the Ruhr Sieg stream, they drove the cab car instead of the 143 or 185.

the fact that they never play the broken trains, let’s me to think that they are aware of these issues before release and tell the stream people not to showcase such trains...

• Like Like x 3
  9. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I can't even use the m7 because of the sound cutting out. I thought the whole point of preserved collection was to move routes and trains without touching them so there would be no issues. They really need to get those sound issues fixed

10. tallboy7648

I would like it as well if they could transfer the audio from tsw2020 into tsw2 preserved collection as it would just fix the problems immediately.

11. tallboy7648

The fan nosies are loud in the nyc subway in real life. It's not a health hazard but I don't know why they are that loud

12. tallboy7648

DTG has a "release it now, fix it later policy"

• Like Like x 1
  13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Do you intend to post this same comment in every thread, it certainly seems to be your main aim?!

14. tallboy7648

I guess if they were to play with the broken trains. It may hurt they're PR and people who may not own that route won't buy it

15. tallboy7648

That's not my intention but that's what dtg did with the preserved collection

16. nuno.andradegb

nuno.andradegb Member

well if they are happy to release a broken product, I think they should be happy to showcase that in a stream.

releasing something that they know is broken and try to hide it from customers is, in my humble opinion, cheating customers...

If it was only a bug that happened with one of the routes... the problem is that it’s happening with every route except for GWE!

• Like Like x 2
  17. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a stream suggestions thread somewhere...? 146 on xbox one or ps4 driving from Aachen to Köln would be an interesting idea :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

LIRR is being streamed on Thursday this week with Matt and Natalie. Both the M3 and M7 have audio issues so it'll be interesting to see if it gets mentioned.

Sam has mentioned audio being an issue on this route in a previous, Roadmap Tuesday stream, particularly highlighting that the horn gets quieter when you open the window.

I would hazard a guess that transferring all the preserved routes over had been a bit of a nightmare task for such a small team to complete, and priorities were on getting them released in a working condition as soon as possible, and audio was a little neglected.

In the last stream with Sam and Adam, Adam was asked what they did differently to get the sounds so good on GWE. As part of his answer, he did say 'we did it properly/thoroughly' which backs up the theory audio wasn't given high enough priority when transferring over.

Still, they proved they listen to feedback and did an outstanding job on GWE, and have added sound to the roadmap. This, coupled with lots of feedback on the forum showing it's a priority for many of us, leaves me very optimistic that DTG will resolve these issues. I look forward to the results and hope they aren't too far away :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  19. tallboy7648

I hope they use the m7 first to expose the flaws that dtg did with the audio of that train. If they would've taken the time to make the audio sound good like they did with gwe or at the very least take the time to port the audio files from tsw2020 to tsw2 instead of having that stupid "Release It Now, Fix It later" policy, then nobody would get upset. It's also a disservice to some people who weren't expecting these audio issues to happen since the whole point of preserved collection was to port all tsw2020 routes except nec without them being touched so there would be no issues. It's not like all the preserved routes came out at the same time as well so the fact that there are so many audio issues is quite baffling. I hope that these issues get fixed soon and quite frankly they should be very high on the roadmap in terms of fixes. I rather have the M7 and 377 audio fixed instead of Passenger Information Displays coming before audio fixes. Can't dtg just port the audio files from TSW2020 trains into the tsw2 preserved collection trains?

• Like Like x 2
  20. londonmidland

It's not the audio files that is the issue, it's the game itself which is making the audio levels off and sounding weird. This is due to the upgrade from 4.16 to 4.23 Unreal Engine version.

Without any alteration to the sound set up, you get the issues we have today, with the audio levels being widely off as well as the other issues. The issues exist because DTG haven't adjusted the sounds appropriately when porting it over from TSW 1 to TSW 2.

• Like Like x 2
  21. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

You mean LIRR not NY subway

22. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

THIS! I'd love to hear the improvement of sound like on GWE BEFORE I get some fancy displays.

• Like Like x 2
  23. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

+1.

PIS screens are a fair way down the roadmap so I'd hope audio comes first :)

• Like Like x 1
  24. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I find on RSN as people have said, the trains have no sounds inside the cab but are blaring on the outside. It's good that we can still play TSW 1. But I think they need to raise this with Epic Games to iron this out, as as a game engine it's great but it needs proper sound engineers to tweak the settings, even the level of feeling like you're driving something heavy, it all sounds very thin.

• Like Like x 2
  25. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

Sounding the horn on The West Somerset Railway class 47 is embarrassing.

26. tallboy7648

Oh i understand. I wish they wouldve adjusted the sounds properly

27. tallboy7648

I hope so too.

28. hightower

hightower Guest

I don’t think there’s a single horn in the game that doesn’t fit that description, except maybe the new 166.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Both ICE3s have some decent horn I'd say.

• Like Like x 1
  30. londonmidland

Even that sounds weak. There’s little reverb (echo) to it.

• Like Like x 2
  31. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

The real life class 47 has a weak and embarrassing sounding horn so it doesn't sound too much different to me.

32. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

The class 20 has a good sounding horn. It's the only one I ever use to be honest.

33. Averrnor

Averrnor Member

Agree. I don't like driving Dostos on RE services. Can use DB BR 143 but without raining weather because wipers somtimes are stucked and can't use them till the end of service. But both german TSW 2 routes are rather using more than 120 km/hr speed.

34. tallboy7648

I don't like driving the dostos either. I can't use the 143 in the rain because of the wiper glitch

35. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

What is also missing is the woosh when you enter the tunnel on the tube at Queens Park. I gather that’s extra coding but surely that could be a trigger.

• Like Like x 1
  36. tallboy7648

That would be cool to get the woosh on the Bakerloo Line

37. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

It’s probably not coding but a macro or trigger on the track that plays this sound.

• Like Like x 1
  38. tallboy7648

Ohh i see

39. aumanilo

aumanilo New Member

Any news on the fix for this?

40. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

In the last stream Adam said his team was fixing it and it would come out... whenever the MSB patch is released. Which will be after QA have finished testing it.