Ntp - Br Class 45 - Switch Cabs, Loosing Driver Brake Pressure

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by BinaryRun, Nov 20, 2020.

1. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. Currently I'm learning NTP and how to drive the BR class 45. In one of the scenario's you've to switch cab to change the direction of travel. However after switching cabs, I loose brake pressure in my drivers brake and can only stop using the main loco break. Even after switching back to the original cab, there is still no brake pressure being generated by the drivers break. What am I missing? Is there a step to switching cabs that the tutorial / scenario guide isn't explaining?

2. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Did you disable the first cab (master key) before switch to the other cab? I forgot many times about that important step and without it normally brakes control remains local at the old cab. I don´t remember the class 45 by hart now, but I think you also have a master key on that locomotive.

I usually follow this checklist before leaving the cab when switching to the other or to another locomotive to avoid any problems:
    • Cab is not active (master key is OFF).
    • Traction and reverser are OFF.
    • Brakes are applied (as a safety rule) or isolated.
    • Parking brake is released.
    • Safety systems are isolated.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

Master key - check
    Reverser off - check (there is no seperate traction option to my knowledge)
    Breaks are not applied (if I apply the brakes, then they'll prevent traction after switching cabs. Not aware of any isolation switch)
    Parking break is released (I can drive after all)
    No safety systems on this route.

The main thing that I was thinking off is that the entire was originally turned on at the inital cab, however there is no way to turn off the engine in the Class 45.

4. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

The train brake handle has to be off before you change ends, not applied or released. Go into emergency and then past the detent. The loco brake must be in release as you'll never get the brakes off. Don't forget the change ends lever needs pulling off as well.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

Thanks so much for the tip! Can you please tell me where the change end lever is? I had no idea that existed.

6. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

I can't remember off the top of my head, some locos it's on the back wall of each cab. Some it's down the left hand side of the driver's seat. There will be a box with a lever each side. One lever isolates the AWS (It's usually isolated when you start in TSW) the other lever is the change ends switch. Sometimes it will already be on when you start a mission so you won't notice, but you have to switch it off before you change ends.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

I did some testing and the issue was indeed the driver brake handle :), I put it on released instead of completely off (past emergency). I did check the lever ends and found a switch on the left side of the drivers seat, but that one is for AWS only.

I don't think the AWS does anything on this route, since the route itself doesn't have any AWS magnets.

8. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

There is some AWS on the route, if you want to use it, you must enable AWS on the back bulkhead... there are two levers, one is the isolation lever on the left side of the AWS and the other on the change cab lever on the right. (Might have the sided mixed up)

9. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

They are both on the left side of the seat in the 45.

10. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

You are right was thinking of the 31