Your Favourite Loco/multiple Unit/engine On Ts2018

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Farmer_C, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Farmer_C

Farmer_C Well-Known Member

I know, it's not necessarily the easiest job to pick and nominate just one locomotive / engine, as your all time favorite, considering there's a vast selection of great engines available in TS2018. Nevertheless, I thought it would be nice to have a thread like this on the forum, so that we get some kind of indication, or should I say illustration about the forum members' preferences.

If you have a photo or screenshot of your favorite loco/multiple unit/engine, post it here. If you think that some particular repaint looks phenomenal on your favorite loco/engine, then post a screenshot that shows this special paintwork.

I hope we will get a good number of photos posted under this thread. I will post a photo of my favorite one later on, cause for now, I leave the honor for getting this photo show rolling to you.
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Sorry DTG this is not one of yours, (although you sell the NSE version). The Class 205 'Thumper' is close to my heart and used to run close to where I live. I could hear their distinctive thump as it powered up the incline out of Hastings en route to Rye and thence Ashford. As you can see in the pic, this Armstrong Powerhouse model is finely detailed inside and out, the cab is a work of art. The sounds are amazing. All-in-all I have to say that this DEMU is the favourite in my collection. Screenshot_The 1066 Line -  Hastings to Tonbridge_50.98664-0.46878_10-02-07.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. Farmer_C

Thanks Cat for the great screenshot and accompanying story. That train indeed looks amazing. The production team has put a lot of working hours to get the details right. I can easily imagine this train making its way through the Kentish scenery.

• Like Like x 2
  4. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Great picture on the 205 there!! Congrats!

I have to say, my favourite multiple unit is the Class 442. I've shot a few shots a few minutes ago, here they are (on the Electrified Riviera Line, because I don't have London to Brighton):

And my favourite diesel loco has to be, I think the Class 42 Warship. Here are two shots of it as well (on the West Somerset Railway):

Hope you like my screenshots! :D

• Like Like x 3
  5. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

I couldn't post screenshots of my favourite skins, because my favourite for the Class 442 is SWT/SWT C6, but I don't have the AP Sound Pack, so I can't install those, and my favourite skin on the warship would be BR Blue Small Warning Panel, and that doesn't even exist for TS.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Farmer_C

Thanks 52_Western...great screenshots. That 442 has a special appeal to me too. Just left a comment on this photo to the media side of this forum. :)

7. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

I'd highly recommend it when it goes on sale again; one of my favourite routes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

I've seen it and replied to it, and this one as well. Glad you like my shots! :)
    Yeah, maybe some day, if it's on sale again. I also like what I've seen of it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Great shot 52, the class 52 is one of my favourites. DPSimulations do a nice NSE reskin for the 442 and you don't need the AP soundpack for it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Thanks! ;) I've got the DPSimulations NSE skin, it's marvellous. I also like the 52. I like all diesel-hydraulic locos, like the Class 35 Hymek, Class 22 Baby Warship, the Class 43 Warship, and even the Class 41 Warship. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mr.Glenn

Mr.Glenn New Member

Got to be the class 73. Very versatile dual powered loco. Went like s*** off a shovel when light and running 3rd rail. In real life, you could whack the handle all way round to weak field at start and it would run up all the way as quick as it could - and it wouldn't overload and apply emergency brakes like the DTG (Gatwick Express) version does. Was always my favourite to drive. Still quite a few of them in service today, well over 50 years after they were introduced. They don't make 'em like that no more.

• Like Like x 2
  12. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

I'm assuming that's why you're profile pic's a Class 73? :)
    But what's your favourite multiple unit, if you don't mind me asking?

I got it in the GamersGate sale yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it so far. :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Thank you for mentioning the sale; I picked up both South London Network and Midland Mainline for together for half of what one would cost normally.

As for myself; I'm a big fan of third rail electrics with the Class 375 Electrostar being my favourite. I also have a soft spot for smaller diesels like the Class 33 though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

You're welcome! ;)

Very interesting! Personally, I find the Class 376 a bit prettier, without the middle door, but I like all trains, so that doesn't really matter that much. :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mr.Glenn

Mr.Glenn New Member

I would probably say the 423 VEPs (1963 stock). There was something 'smoother' and quieter about the operation. The cab's were - how can I put this -- less 'clangy' and more like a muffled clunky. The power controller was more comfortable to hold. It was a long stick with a handle bar kind of grip on the end (NOT modelled in TS version). The older type - CEPs & HAPs for instance, had the big round 'button' to hold. If memory serves me well (it's getting rusty now!) I think the gearing was slightly changed as well.

EDIT: Yes that pic of the class 73s was taken by myself. They were double heading (can only see one in that little pic) a consist of empty oil tanks from Richborough power station. I jumped out and took the pic' while we was waiting to set back into Hoo Junction yard (I was only a second man at the time).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Does that mean that you have driven one? Also, thanks, I also like the 4-VEPs.
    Oh! I never would have guessed! Looks grand! :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mr.Glenn

Mr.Glenn New Member

"" Does that mean that you have driven one? ""
    Yes I have driven them many times during my time as a driver on the South-Eastern Region (British Rail) - was always my favourite EMU to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mr.Glenn

Mr.Glenn New Member

For the record... I have driven HAPs, CEPs, VEPs, MLVs, Class 33s, Class 73s, Class 08s / 09s / 10s. I had a couple of goes at SUBs, Class 71s were also in use when I started. I was a second man on them many times, but they were withdrawn from service just before I became a driver.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

That's really interesting! I did not know that you have actually driven real locos! Thanks for the info! :)
    One of my favourite DMUs are the Class 150/2 and Class 158 or 159, and one of my favourite railcars are the Class 153s and 121s.
    Just so you know. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I like the Amtrak P42DC. I like all Amtrak equipment.

• Like Like x 1
  21. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Me too. ;)
    Isn't that the American equivalent of the BR Class 73? Or does it just have the same/some of the same features?

• Like Like x 1
  22. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with British locomotives.

23. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

The P42DC is not anything like a Class 73 at all. It's more of a 67...ish? Basically a passenger loco designed off of many of the innerds of a freight loco, but streamlined and with less axles.

• Like Like x 1
  24. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Thanks for the reply, but on the wikipedia page, it says that the P42DC is a 'United States locomotive with the same ability'.
    Do you have any idea why?
    Thanks!
    I have that train, but not the South London Network route, for which it has scenarios.
    Also, by the way, since you've travelled on these, do you know if the horn is accurate?
    Many thanks! :)

• Like Like x 1
  25. Overland

Overland New Member

Id have to say class 03 shunter, in both WSR and doncaster flavours,
    [​IMG]
    Repainted, Reworked and put into service as primary motive power on branchlines.. What used to be a lonely little blue shunter trundling slowly on the mainline in QD sessions eventually and more so recently became locomotives that keep branchlines alive under coopertive managment..

Seen here is my personal repaint, ex WSR 03 now MLR unit 2
    Sister train to ex doncaster MLR unit 1 and 03 "Hellfire" of middleton branchline

I only wish AP would do an enhanced 03, ive spoke with them..unfortunately its a niche thing :(

• Like Like x 1
  26. Farmer_C

I just checked out your Facebook page. Your photo collections look absolutely magnificent. I wish I could take as good photos as you do.

• Like Like x 1
  27. pschlik

No, it says P32AC-DM which is a different locomotive in the same family. That is a 3rd rail capable one, but it is not that common, limited basically to the Grand Central Terminal area on 3rd rail. The 73 is designed so much more for long term 3rd rail mode, but the P32AC-DM is only meant to be in 3rd rail for a few minutes at a time.

• Like Like x 2
  28. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Okay, my mistake, sorry! But interesting facts about the P32AC-DM, thanks! :)

• Like Like x 1
  29. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  30. Slenderman_HKRES

Slenderman_HKRES Member

Speaking of the class 73, once I had thought of buying the class 73 GX DLC. However, after I had watched MoleMan's and Matt's videos about the loco I decide not to do so :( the diesel mode is rather simple but the electrical mode needs a lot of skills to drive it so I opt for other things instead

• Like Like x 1
  31. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Well, the GX 73 is in the Pro Range, which means that it is for professional TS players, who don't mind a challenge, so it isn't the easiest thing to drive.
    The Class 73 is also featured in the BR Class 460 DLC, in new GX and Southern liveries, and with much more features. Just thought I'd mention that!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Slenderman_HKRES

Slenderman_HKRES Member

Luckily, only a few locos I find difficult to drive: only the class 86, 87 and the ER 20. I am having a lot of fun on other trains especially the class 370 APT, it is such a beauty.

• Like Like x 1
  33. pschlik

The 86 and 87 are not that bad. The only problem with them is that you cant quickly throttle up and down, but beyond that, they are just an abnormal control system.

• Like Like x 1
  34. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

I wouldn't know. I neither own the Class 86 nor the Class 87 for TS. But thanks for the info!

I can just about imagine how enjoying it must be to drive the APT-P... :love:

• Like Like x 1
  35. Slenderman_HKRES

Slenderman_HKRES Member

It is kinda similar to the class 73's electrical mode (a loco with a tap changer)but only a single "run up" mode rather having 3(series, parallel and weak field). However, if you turned off the throttle when the is running, you must wait for the tap changer to reset to zero in order to regain power.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

My favourite Locomotive is the SHG ÖBB 1044
    My favourite electric multiple unit is the RSSLO ÖBB 4023, in case of the Details including the cold start.

• Like Like x 2
  37. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Really interesting! Thanks for the info!
    But what do you mean with 'when the is is running'? What does that mean?

38. Slenderman_HKRES

Slenderman_HKRES Member

It means when the notch is above zero. The power will immediately be cut off but you will need the loco itself to reset the notch back to zero before it can reapply the power. I also find it hard to control the brake and often end up in speeding or even SPAD

• Like Like x 1
  39. JFH

JFH Member

Split between the BR Class 158 and 91. Out of the DTG ones anyway.

The AP 43 though. Sweet Jesus... Bye bye HUD, you won't be needed anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  40. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

I can't even begin to image what that'd look like, JFH...
    I have no AP packs, so I wouldn't know.

41. JFH

JFH Member

It looks identical to the DTG version of the class 43. Only difference is improved sounds, more realistic acceleration and braking, fully function DSD and a pretty solid implementation of ATP.

• Like Like x 1
  42. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Okay, I can imagine that's a whole lot better.
    I'm sure all these safety devices are highland levels of interesting!
    But does DSD stands for Driver Safety Device? And ATP, what's that?
    Thanks!

43. Slenderman_HKRES

Slenderman_HKRES Member

Yes DSD stands for Driver Safety Device and ATP stands for Automatic Train Protection.

• Like Like x 2
  44. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Thanks!

45. JFH

JFH Member

May as well leave a link to the features here if you're interested.

I think the only thing missing is the release speed lights. I've never seen them illuminated when driving. Other than that, everything else seems to work as I expect, except for a few minor details, e.g. the 'three zeroes'.

Relevant section on the ATP/DVD is 7m 15s in.

• Like Like x 2
  46. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

My favorite would probably have to be the SD70ACe. There is something just so stately about their appearance to me. I think they are just beautiful locomotives. I like taking them out on EU routes in free roam with huge consists where they have no business being and just tearing the tracks up at speed! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  47. CJM21292

CJM21292 Well-Known Member

20171101195058_1.jpg 20170915204245_1.jpg favorite MU Arrow III favorite locomotive Aem-7

• Like Like x 1
  48. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

My favourite is the Class 60 due to the sound they have. 20180121205209_1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1