Route Proposal - Birmingham New Street To London Euston

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Shane Martin, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Member

Hi all,

I would like to put a route proposal out here to see if it will have any interest, that being the Birmingham New Street to London Euston line.

For a bit of back history, this 112 mile line was originally opened in 1838, first operated on by the London and Birmingham Railway (L&BR) from 1833 to 1846, after which it became part of the London and North Western Railway (L&NWR).

The line was engineered by Robert Stephenson, starting at London Euston, going north-west to Rugby, where it turned west to Coventry and onto Birmingham, at the now demolished Curzon Street Station.

In current days, the line is part of the West Coast Mainline, being busy with a mixture of both express trains, local trains and freight operations.

The current operators using that primarily run this service are Virgin Trains (West Coast) and West Midlands Trains (Operating under London Northwestern), Virgin using Class 221's and Class 390's, and West Midlands Trains using Class 350/1's, 350/2's and 350/3's, both operators offering different services, Virgin Trains a quick journey with relatively few stops, or West Midlands Trains offering a stopping service.

The stations that Virgin Trains would stop at are:

Birmingham New Street, Birmingham International, Coventry, Rugby and London Euston.

The stations that London Northwestern would stop at are:

Marston Green. Birmingham International, Berkswell, Tile Hill, Canley, Coventry, Rugby, Long Buckby, Northampton, Wolverton, Milton Keynes Central, Bletchley, Leighton Buzzard, Berkhampsted, Hemel Hempstead, Watford Junction and London Euston.

In building this route, we could also see the possibility of the now-ageing Class 390 being upgraded to current levels of train creation with features being added, and trains such as the Class 323, which does local services from Birmingham New Street to Birmingham International.

Hopefully a Birmingham route comes into plan in the future, as with all the London routes Birmingham is being left out, even though it is the second city.

Shane

• Like Like x 12
  2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Member

Well, the 390 happened :love:

3. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

I too would welcome a route like this :).

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

There's a freeware route called WCML South available but I'm not sure where to find it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  5. hightower

hightower Guest

Your prayers have already been answered.

Have a look at this, it really is excellent. Requires a good chunk of other routes to work fully (I purchased at least 2 at full price but there is a sale on now!) but it’s totally worth it.

http://www.uktrainsim.com/filelib-info.php?form_fileid=38218

I’m driving on it as I type this ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2018
  6. Flying_Porker

Flying_Porker New Member

I would like to be able to buy this route. I have had a look at the UK Train Sim. There is quite a lot of extra content that is needed. If any such content is missing, it has been my experience that the route does not work. Assuming the new route is £25, I would imagine that the extra DLC would cost more than this. I have also tried to use material from UK Train Sim, but I find the file structure for TS2019 quite difficult to get my head around, With MSTS and Open Rails, it is much more intuitive.

Another missing link is Stafford to Preston.

What I would also like is a program that links together Euston to Rugby; Trent Valley; Stafford to Preston; WCML over Shap; and WCML North. Europeanbahn had such a link program for MSTS East Coast Mainline Volumes 1 - 4. The author was going to do ECML 5, but unfortunately he passed away.

Are there any such link programs in TS2019?

7. edwardpike14

edwardpike14 New Member

Oi you missed Tring Muppet

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

ECMLS is already out there and pretty good by all accounts.