Route Extensions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by anthony.norman2005, Nov 28, 2020.

1. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

What about a lirr extension to oyster bay or ronkonkoma?

• Like Like x 2
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Now that's something that I would want

3. mrchuck

I hope they’ll do oyster bay or port Jefferson sometime soon they’ll definitely need to add the Dual mode diesel locomotive.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nidhish Inumala

Nidhish Inumala Active Member

I want an extension to montauk and Didcot Parkway (LIRR and GWE)

• Like Like x 1
  5. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

We wouldn't need route extensions if the whole route was included in the first place. Not including the full line leads to unrealistic services with the player not being able to get to the end of the line and do the return trip.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nidhish Inumala

True- For example, I don't think drivers switch after one stop on a service from Frankfurt to Brussels (at Aachen), or that drivers switch at Woodside on services to Port Washington (Lirr)

7. mrchuck

I hope one day the full port Washington Branch for lirr comes in the future.

8. Mikeboy

Mikeboy Active Member

As others have pointed out, the reluctance to sell route extensions makes sense as you can only possibly sell to those who bought not only the game, but the original route. In my opinion it makes sense therefore to add routes that work independently as full price routes with the standard feature set, but where a merge occurs on timetable mode and in scenario planner where you have two routes that connect in a way that makes sense (so RSN+ORR as an example using what we already have).

9. tallboy7648

Thr port Washington branch is an 18.1 mile route and drivers don't get off at Woodside to change drivers. If DTG would just add the full line and not part of a line, people wouldn't be asking for route extensions

• Like Like x 1
  10. tallboy7648

Of course you would need the route to get a extension. DTG have done extensions in TS2021 (railworks) so they could do them in tsw2

• Like Like x 1
  11. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

My whole point and was alluded to by others, is rather than extend the A-B line in length is to extend the branches from the mainline.

Everyone wanting the W/ECML it will be no different 30-40 miles and maybe one or two stops? Its where the "cuteness" of the IOW of yes its a there and back, but there are some tricky stops and views just to make it interesting !

That argument however plausible falls down with the loco add on's? You need to already own route x to get extra train y?

The same thing could be argued with extra branch line to destination C from line A-B?

I am also all for seeing other parts of the world! I have held off buying "yet another German line" for the French line as it will be a change!

I am also looking forward to playing SPG at some point once all the bugs are sorted. Dont get me wrong, I am not anti new lines. I am just wondering if branches off the old ones, would spice them up and give them some vavavoom!

Going back to GWE it has been the "forgotten" line of all the others no new trains, no added bonus, I just feel sorry for it!

D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

The difference is that a loco is just a loco, maybe some rolling stock and services, but neither of those are guaranties. Ultimately the resources need for one aren't gonna be anywhere near as huge as a route extension. On the other hand a team on a route has to build a lot more stuff when making new route, like needing various infrastructure made by the 3D modeling team alongside the locomotives, or having a route building team, which isn't necessary for a loco add on.
    Certainly no reason they couldn't do branch lines, indeed London-Faversham in TS Classic has the Sheerness Branch with the Class 466 as a extension for the route.

• Like Like x 2
  13. dave from Cornwall

Yes of course the additional 10 or so miles of Branch is going to consume a lot more time compared to a loco add on. Drat...I didnt think that through!

Good point.

I will get back in to box and await opening the pan au chocolate on the French route in the coming weeks :)

D

14. dave from Cornwall

I will say one more thing....

Who else wishes when pulling out of Darlington, that we could keep the throttle down and keep straight on the mainline, rather than reducing speed and then veering off on to the TVL...

D

15. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to see more branch lines than route extensions tbh, more variety is only a good thing

• Like Like x 1
  16. tallboy7648

More branch lines or more lines within the main route would be cool such as the port washington branch which splits off the main line at woodside to go to Port Washington or the Oyster Bay branch which turns left when you leave Mineola to Oyster Bay or maybe even add the gwr branch lines for gwe. If dtg though were to just add the full line of a route and not part of a line then we wouldn't have so many threads asking for extensions in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dave from Cornwall

Yes to branch lines.

Its all very well having these impressive high speed beasts whipping us here and there. But ultimately at "here" or "there" you would find a branch line or two!

• Like Like x 2
  18. tallboy7648

That is true

19. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

that would be really cool, but i think they gonne focus more on new routes then route extensions

• Like Like x 2
  20. tallboy7648

I wonder when they are gonna say that we made enough new routes and actually start extending routes. Maybe if they had a team who would do route extensions, we would probably have extensions sooner than later. Since they are a small company though, I don't think that would possible or maybe it could be.

21. ZeenozPlays

I highly doubt they are going to extend any routes. But who knows, maybe they will. I’d love to see East Coastway Extended to London and/or LIRR to Port Washington/Ronkonkoma.

• Like Like x 1
  22. tallboy7648

I hope they do and dtg knows the demand for route extensions are high so at some point they may do so

• Like Like x 1
  23. mrchuck

ronkonkoma and port Washington would be awesome I would definitely buy it if it comes to TSW in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Nidhish Inumala

. It is there in TSXX (Brighton Main Line), but the thing is that it is too hard to make such a long route (all the assets and being able to walk around) and that console support is a requirement (maybe PC Only version- I play farming simulator and there are plenty of mods that are PC Only- but no DLC)

• Like Like x 1
  25. johnjohn190690

johnjohn190690 Active Member

I would like to see route extensions i think we are still a few years away from it happening they trying to build up the amount of routes first and then possibly go back. I would like to see GWE extended to Bristol or even Köln-Aachen route extended into Belgium. Issue with full routes is timetable mode we still don't have full service on Bakerloo Line and that was if not the biggest selling point of TSW2 is having a London Underground Route.

• Like Like x 1
  26. ZeenozPlays

I wouldn’t be surprised if they grow the Preserved Team, split it in half, and use that new half to create route extensions. Just so everyone will stop talking about extensions. But as I keep saying, there wouldn’t be a need for extensions, if they just included the full route in the first place.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if they grow the Preserved Team, split it in half, and use that new half to create route extensions.

The Preserved team must be close to finishing it so why would you grow it? Grow it and then split it in half?

This belief that DTG are going to produce route extensions for TSW has one major flaw. How many have there been to date?

28. ZeenozPlays

Did you see the part where I said just to shut people up?

I believe there won’t be ANY route extensions. But people are upset that their favorite routes aren’t long enough.

• Like Like x 1
  29. johnjohn190690

johnjohn190690 Active Member

They could do that also split up the team doubt that would happen, full routes would cause an issue as is what's happening with Bakerloo Line still have got a full timetable service.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ZeenozPlays

They did say that the only reason BKL hasn’t gotten it is because of the needed Core Improvements. They know how to improve it to allow it, but the team/person working on the core game isn’t available for that.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Medellinexpat

‘But as I keep saying, there wouldn’t be a need for extensions, if they just included the full route in the first place.’

Which ignores the fact that every TSW route to date has been pretty short. Either its technical or commercial or both but DTG have shown no evidence that full routes are likely either. People need to accept the reality. DTG aren’t dumb, they realize that people would like longer or the complete route but the work/hours/ technical challenges clearly prevent it. This is TSW.

If nothing else the cost of longer routes would be prohibitive. At the moment it’s kind of a dollar or pound a mile for a route. That would suggest around GBP 120 for the GWR from Paddington to Temple Meads, GBP 500 for the TGV from Paris to Marseille and GBP 220 from New York to Boston. They wouldn’t sell.

• Like Like x 2
  32. ZeenozPlays

It was definitely technical, which is why they now hav Auto-Generated Scenery. That is why the LGV route is the longest in the game. Routes will have to be longer if they really want to focus on High-Speed like they said.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Medellinexpat

Auto generated scenery sounds like a step back in fidelity but we will need to see. High Speed lines have a couple of benefits for them. One you’re often in a deep cutting (like an underground tunnel one cutting looks much like another) and much of the route is in often in open flat countryside - there’s less to model. Yes, they have to have bigger distances because one station to the next on a high speed train can be a good distance often as far, if not further than a normal route in TSW. Think of Eurostar. Lille to Paris is what, 140 miles.
    I think you downplay the commercial aspect.Train simulation generally has had fairly low price tags compared with say flight simulation. One of the big drivers of route length is the end price, and the number of units, that it will sell for.

• Like Like x 1
  34. tallboy7648

Exactly. If they were to just make the full route in the first place, people would shut up about extensions. Many people aren't happy that they're favorite routes aren't long enough and don't go the full way. Hopefully with the new tech developed, we can start getting full line routes

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  35. tallboy7648

DTG have said though on a topic about route length that if they were to make a route that was 15 miles, 30 miles or 150+miles or longer, the price for customers wouldn't increase at all so it would still cost $29.99 or 24 pounds 99 if they were to make for example a 150+mile route

• Like Like x 1
  36. ZeenozPlays

You said it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  37. tallboy7648

Lol, I'm glad I did you a favor. They said what you've basically quoted on the buildup to tsw2. So I don't get why some people still think that if they were to make a 150+mile route or longer that the price would increase when the literally said that they would not increase prices on that stream

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  38. ZeenozPlays

Maybe because they ‘lied’ to us before.

Multiplayer and the E WORD.

Besides, when it comes down to high speed, you wouldn’t want a short route that has no other content. That is why we now have auto-generated Scenery. Now they can make longer routes that take the same amount of time as the shorter routes.

• Like Like x 1
  39. tallboy7648

You have a point about how they 'lied' to us although it was not intended. Imma take their word on pricing though. I don't believe they will increase pricing especially if they said that they wouldn't if they made a extremely long mileage route. The high speed routes do need to be longer as well in my opinion simply because of how quick the current ones can be done

• Like Like x 1
  40. ZeenozPlays

If they do increase the price, I’d expect higher quality content. That’s where it’ll get bad if they can’t deliver. But I can’t see that happening anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
  41. tallboy7648

I certainly wouldn't mind paying more but if they were which I doubt they will based on what they said, the quality of the content for must be high in order to justify the price increase. But I'm confident dtg won't increase prices

• Like Like x 1
  42. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Now we have all the information to see why asking for longer routes and extensions all the time is fruitless.

1. DTG will not increase the price of a route DLC
    2. Longer routes cost more to make
    3. Route extensions would sell only a fraction of the number of units a new route would but cost the same to make

Therefore, considerably longer routes and route extensions would never recoup the production costs. As DTG is not a charitable organisation they have to at least break even on all their products. Simple mathematics.

So in conclusion, asking for long routes and/or route extensions is pointless.

• Like Like x 2
  43. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

But what about third parties?

44. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The charities that make routes for free? Who are these people?

45. kosti.nuuja

I meant Rivet, Skyhook and TSG. Would they make long routes for TSW2 in future?

46. Jezame

Jezame Member

I suspect the length of a route isn’t the limiting factor, instead it is the amount of cpu and memory used by AI services and signals. GWE and HMA already have the number of services limited on console (granted there is a workaround for GWE). If the route was extended then the number of services would probably have to remain the same leading to a less populated experience. If you added a branch line then it maybe a situation where you might need to reduce services on the mainline to free up computing resources.

47. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

DTG have stated ad nauseum that the limiting factor has been dev time to produce routes, and although "auto background fill" might make some of that a bit easier they would still have to build stations, lineside buildings and landmarks by hand each time. I'm pretty sure anyone who lives near a station in game checks out the local area to see if it approximates and autofill won't do that

• Like Like x 1
  48. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They still need to make money and although they might be able or willing to charge more for their routes I don’t know how much higher they could go before people wouldn’t buy. They are bound by the same things DTG are, the costs of making detailed routes in TSW are high due to the time it takes. I don’t think TSG even do routes, just locos.

49. kosti.nuuja

TSG is now making only locos, but in future they would make routes. Rivet made a loco first before making their first route. I think, that third parties make locos first, and then routes.

50. kosti.nuuja

Don't be so pessimistic. We can never know about future, and this thread is not pointless.

• Like Like x 2