Latest Sale

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daytona, Sep 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You will of course have an example of that - or is it more of your bullsh1t

The people on UKTS don't treat others like children in posting pictures to make a point.
    This place is not much different to Facebook where anyone can post what they want

2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Nobody as far as I'm aware is forcing you to post here... Just sayin'. Or do you perceive yourself as the hero that can fix us all? Discuss.

Listen, Peter, seriously, when you post advice you're on point, I've gleaned many a gem from information you've posted, and I thank you wholeheartedly for that.
    But when you post with unnecessary snarky attitude filled comments I will call you (or anyone else) out on it, don't like it, don't do it, simple.

As for the pictures (they're called memes Grandpa) they are just another way of portraying emotions or feelings, if you feel 'IT' (that's information technology not a clown in a sewer btw) has gone to quickly for you then I'm sorry but as a 50yr old myself who hasn't struggled with the transition into the 21st century I'm not sure I'm the best to offer you advice on your issues.

Edited:
    Typo put think instead of thank.. oops.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

When saying to somebody not to be snarky you kind of "lose the room" when you then throw in the ageist comment...
    Agree with the outward point, but still

• Like Like x 2
  4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Never said I was perfect. :D

Also just to be clear I said Grandpa with a more derisory tone than a snarky one.. But semantics.

(edit 2: that last was a joke btw..)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

No I don't know everything - not by a long way - Otherwise I would not ask questions on UKTS.
    The nice part on UKTS is they don't have people posting memes, old man.
    The people there treat others with respect - yes there can be some friction between people but you get that everywhere.
    But you don't get people asking questions about something they can find out by themselves.
    Like "how do you tell one train from another"

But here it's more of a place to just witter on, report things as Faulty when they are not etc.
    It is sort of a Facebook for people who have the games and just post what they want

So I will ignore certain individuals as they seem to know everything already and if somebody asks a sensible question and I can help I will.

Peter

6. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Bitter cynicism maybe a symptom of the critical mind.

Tried to sign up for UKTS a few days ago, still waiting on the verification email - perhaps you could help Peter?

Thanks in advance.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you PM Train Sim Matt he will be able to help you

8. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Excellent reply thank you Peter,

Just want to pick you up on one part of it though if I may..
    I'm not being funny here but you do come across on this forum as quite disrespectful, especially to newer members, I don't know if you haven't realised that or if your ethos is different here to how you are over on UKTS.

The thing you haven't quite managed to grasp about me is I actually do not have a gripe with you dislike you or go out of my way to annoy you, like I said I WILL pick up on you being mean to other members though.

Damn straight, and proud of it. (Tbf not much I can do about it other than popping my clogs and the Wife'd kill me if I did that)

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Well, sometimes, a picture really can say a thousand words.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Is it safe to pop my head up out the trench...??? :|:o

On a serious note, 2 pieces of DLC that I want are Wherry Lines & West Highland Line Extension... When I get round to buying them am I better off getting Wherry Lines from AP or Steam and likewise with WHL from Thompson Interactive or Steam???

Thanks again

Eric

11. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

Regarding Wherry Lines it depends on what you want from it. If you want to play workshop scenarios get it on Steam. If you want to play scenarios on sites like ATS then get it on AP as non workshop stuff seems to use the AP version which has different stock.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Pookeyhead

If having a stand alone route with no other requirements and working scenarios out of the box is important, get the Steam version. The AP version will need a lot of DLC for it's scenarios. Further down the line though, some 3rd party DLC that needs the AP version may cause issues if you have the Steam version.. it did with me. Nothing that wasn't resolvable, but a pain in the arse.

The other difference is that the Steam version comes with de branded stock... so the 37s for instance have the DRS branding removed (and the AP branding pack doesn't work with the steam version so won't fix it). If you already have the AP 37 packs and the AP 168/170/171 enhancement pack this may not bother you, but having all the trains in the scenarios unbranded really bugged me.

The actual route is identical in both cases, so get whichever one suits you best. The Steam version will obviously auto install if you ever need to re-install Steam etc... one less thing to worry about I suppose, and one day you'll have the AP packs for the stock, but you will still need to manually swap it out in the scenarios using TS Tools: The scenarios will carry on using the unbranded versions regardless of whether you have the AP packs for the 37 and the 170 or not. SO even after manually editing them, Steam updates and file verifications will probably put the original scenarios back... so back up the modified scenarios if you ever do this.

Mine was a gift... personally I'd have got the AP version if it was my own money.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  13. Pookeyhead

I'm sure that if you try to buy WHL from the Thompson website, the link takes you to Steam.

14. ntypeman

Thanks Pookyhead...

A lot of the time I get frustrated with the fact that you need lots of extra DLC to run the game, so you pay say 25 quid for the game then another 8-10 pieces of DLC which (I've never sat down & added it all up) then adds another 50-60 quid (it's not even cheap or freeware) on to the game in order to get it to run as it was intended... not so cheap now...!!!

Eric

15. Pookeyhead

Then the Steam version is probably what you want Eric.

BTW.. take advantage of sales to get routes that you may not want to drive, but are needed DLC for routes you DO want to drive... for example, Isle of Wight can be had for £2.99 in the current DTG sale... that is used a lot lot in 3rd party DLC. As is the original ECML for £2.39... Original Woodhead £3.99 etc

Filter by price, then do a little research into what 3rd party routes you want and what their DLC requirements are.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. ntypeman

17. ARuscoe

Going to get a bit pedantic here...
    "The game" isn't actually the game at all as the base system has no content. All content is in DLCs
    If you ONLY get your DLCs from steam then they will work "out of the box" because DTG will provide everything you need to runt he career scenarios provided with those routes.

The issue comes if you move from "the game" to being a hobbyist, ie you want to be able to run other scenarios than you get in "the box", be they workshop or third party...
    Then you really do need to start considering whether you want to spend some money and time in the sales.
    The good news is that almost every consist DLC (at least in the UK) comes with a route somewhere, so you can pick up some really good bargains in the sale.

The dovetail sale right now has the East Coast Mainline route for £2.39, but in that you get the route, Deltic (class 55), class 47 and HST (Class 43). You also get the European Asset pack which has:
    • HST, Class 55 Deltic, Class 37, Class 47 and Class 166 locomotives
    • DB Class 101, Class 143, Class 151, Class 294, Class V200 and BR52 locomotives
    • Black 5 and 7F steam locomotives
    So for £2.39 you're getting a route (even if an older one) and 13 locos or units

That's an extreme example, but it does mean that in the sales, look for the routes you want which also have the locos you want and the value is there

18. ntypeman

Some of the DLC requirements say that sound packs are required... Are they??? I don't mean to sound like a skin flint (my Mrs would say otherwise!!!)...!!!

Eric

19. Pookeyhead

Depends... I've used DLC that requested it but didn't have it before... but I suppose you'd just have to try and see. If it's freeware no problem I suppose.

20. dunkrez

Have done that, thanks Peter.

I must be upsetting someone, the Gold Star Trains website got hacked last night, so I'm definitely on the right track.

Onwards and upwards :)

21. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Any stock in a scenario is defined by it's *.bin file.
    The bin file for a loco/unit that uses an AP Sound pack would be slightly different than the default version
    But it should not make a difference as the name - like emd_66_EWS.bin - would still be the same.

Peter

22. dunkrez

749006 You're a mod for UKTS Peter, any chance you could move my registration along? No reply from Matt P.

Thank you.

23. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I am not a mod for UKTS
    Maybe ask Easilyconfused ?

• Like Like x 1
  24. dunkrez

Any help would be hugely appreciated, we've almost got a ballast tamper in TS to play with - and I'm keen to deliver.

25. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

dunkrez the best way to progress this is to follow Matt's advice on the UKTS front page.

You'll need to join Matt's discord server at https://discord.gg/mattplaystv as that's the best place to get in touch if you can't log into the forums, many of the mods, plus myself and Dad are both on there. I have just been talking to Matt's Dad about various things including some site based stuff like user name changes. Just join the server and there is a section for UKTS Support.

• Like Like x 1
  26. dunkrez

Thank you mate, I've signed up and just waiting out the 5 minute timer to post in the support thread. Thank you so much!

27. ARuscoe

Depends. Sometimes the soundpacks have additional scripting as well as the sounds being changed
    An example of this is the Avanti 380 done my MajorWales. It uses additional scripting from the AP390 sound pack to work so that's definitely a requirement for all functionality to work

28. Pookeyhead

Be careful with that one... it breaks the consist editor. He even warns against it on the website.

29. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

Well, it will do, because Thomsons don't sell their products directly to customers, which Richard Armstrong does. Quite a few creators only sell their stuff through Steam, some of them do both, Just Trains, AP, Victory Works and Bossman Games, for example. It all depends if you want to support that developer directly by cutting out the Steam commission, etc, the only thing is that Richard Armstrong's sales are not as frequent throughout the year, and he only offers about 40% discount maximum, if I remember correctly, whereas DTG can offer anything up to 85% discount on the Steam platform, depending on what it is, you make your choice accordingly. The only thing is that nowadays creators use quite a few different payware routes for all sorts of assorted equipment to build their freeware routes with, which reflects the local geography of that particular layout. but, it all adds up if you don't have those DLC routes already bought and installed, the same goes with scenarios, variety keeps everything fresh and entertaining, but, at a cost when you add it all up and you'll never change that.

Cheerz. Steve.

30. Pookeyhead

I know.. I was responding to Eric who asked whether to buy it direct or from Steam.

31. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

You should be all set now with no delay on posting.

• Like Like x 1
  32. dunkrez

All sorted, thank you for your help :)

33. ntypeman

Just noticed that the Class 89 is on sale at just over 8 quid... Is it worth picking it up at that price???

Eric

34. ARuscoe

If you want to drive the 89 then yes. If not...

35. ntypeman

Thanks...

Just wondered that's all as I'd heard / read negative things about it...

Eric

36. ARuscoe

I know nothing on the planet that has just positive things said
    In the end, if you want to drive it, make your choice.

37. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Class 89 comes in one livery and they reused the Class 86 sounds which are wrong.
    On Vulcan Production there are repaints in to the other liveries that the loco ran in.

38. ex-railwayman

As well as the Class 86 sounds, it also says on the Steam reviews that the reverser doesn't work, so as it was only released in March 2020 I'm unsure if DTG have had time to sort it out yet. I would wait another year and get it at 50/60% off, the choice is yours, as always, but, no refund.

Cheerz. Steve.

39. Pookeyhead

Watch that and make up your mind.

40. Pookeyhead

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1606329056073.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. Pookeyhead

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. ex-railwayman

44. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I expect the Steam sale will begin at 6pm on the 18th when this one closes a few hours before hand. DTG getting in first. I really hope Just Trains have a decent sale of some of their routes not on Steam.

45. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Probably wait for the Steam sale as at least you get the money back guarantee. Torn though between expanding my TSW2 collection a bit or getting something for Railworks which I'll probably drive once then leave in the box. Welsh Marches might be of interest though if it pops up at a significant discount and that last Japanese route looks quite reasonable.

46. LargeInjector

LargeInjector Active Member

That's a valid point, but some of the items are so discounted and so cheap you might not even bother to ask for a refund. Doncaster Works is now only £1.79. Even if I didn't like it I'd probably still keep it in case I needed the assets some day. BTW, it's a requirement for some of the scenarios in the recently released Barrow Hill extension for JT's Midland Mainline route.

47. ex-railwayman

Yes, a lot of the older route's assets Woodhead, IoW, Donny Works, etc, are utilised widely on freeware layouts, particularly British Steam era routes from the 1940s - 1960s and diesel routes ftom 1970s onwards, some excellently created models that are invaluable and are worth obtaining cheaply.

Cheerz. Steve.

48. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

OldVern I can fully recommend the Welsh marches, better than I would the Tadami. It is a fabulous drive from Shrewsbury to Newport, you will not be disappointed. I am waiting for Steam Sounds Supreme to reduce their Stainmore Shap and Eden route. Can anyone confirm if it is worth £30?

• Like Like x 1
  49. ntypeman

Was I seeing things...??? Earlier on today I looked at the West Highland Line South & the Kyle Line, I'm pretty certain they were priced £8.74 & £9.99 respectively...

I checked steamdb as to their price history and once satisfied that WHLS was as low as its ever been I went to purchase it tonight... HOWEVER, when I searched for it the prices had increased suddenly to £10.49 for WHLS & £11.99 for the Kyle Line...

Can someone confirm if I'm losing it please???!!!

Eric

50. ntypeman

Ok...

Mad... just mad... I clicked a few items I wanted then suddenly WHLS turns up at £8.74 & the Kyle Line at £9.99... I don't get it... Just don't get it [shaking head]

Clicked through & bought it at that price and spent 15 quid on WHLS, NSE 159 & the 455, but can't make my mind up about the Kyle Line...

Eric